Options

Your experience bringing kids to PJ shows?

SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 824
edited July 2013 in The Porch
So I've got GA for SD and LA2, but thinking of getting additional SD or LA1 tickets for my whole family (including daughters, age 9 and 7).

But what is a good age to start them at? My 9 year old seems to be mature enough and interested enough to really enjoy it, but I'd guess my 7 year old can wait until the next go around.

I would love to hear your experiences bringing your kids to PJ shows...the good, the bad, and the ugly!
19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    My son just 1-1/2.

Technically he attended PJ20 in the womb :) . Had to get a poster to commemorate his first show.
    But seriously, I will check back to see what others say. I hope the guys stay rockin for a while because he sure does love the tunes. He especially loves ITW and Uke Songs so it must be Ed's voice he digs most but he does like Pearl Jam proper as well.

Planning on taking him to one of the days for Riot Fest here in Chicago (weekend passes) but that is more of a carnival atmosphere in a large park.
    Hey, hey. My, my. Rock and roll can never die.

"Why go home? I am home! And I gotta tell you, it feels FUCKIN GREAT to be here. You may experience this yourself but, if you were born in Chicago, you're always from Chicago. And even if you don't live in Chicago, Chicago will always live in you."-Ed
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    My son is also 1 1/2 and although I don't have experience w/ older children... my worries with bringing any child to a show is them wanting to leave before the show ends. OR the kid just wanting to get up and go to the bathroom or wanting something to eat or ya know just being a kid in general.
  • Options
    JB56195JB56195 Posts: 303
    I think the first thing you have to do is ask yourself what do you want out of the show. I took my kid to Farm Aid. He loves Neil Young. My lesson learned is this:

1. Kids need big headphone ear protection. They need to wear it at home to make sure they are comfortable. You can find kids shooting ear protection at places like Dicks. I would not wear plugs because I don't think they will stay in well. They have to know this is the requirement for going. No ear muffs, no show.

2. Be prepared for bathroom breaks, food runs, etc. This distracts from your experience and you may miss the white whale song you have been waiting for.

3. Get reserved seats- GA is a bad idea. There was a small 10-12 yo boy next to me at the SG concert in the pit. It was generally cool and people were good. Parents were smart enough to hang in the back rail but even then they were still in the mix. Problem came in when some douchebag decided to crowd surf by jumping off the rail. It's not 1990 anymore. He missed my wife because I was paying attention and pushed him away (she still got kicked), kid ducked under his parents who were also watching. He then landed on a group of girls video recording on their cells. There will be dumbasses like this you have to watch out for. Some drunk ass (nother guy) tried to start a fight with me while I was 100% sober because I wouldn't help hoist him in the air. I don't care if my kids are exposed to drunks and swearing. I can parent around that. I am more concerned about them being physically injured.

4. Be prepared for outright tiredness. Misbehavior isn't a huge deal because the people next to you won't be able to hear crying/temper tantrums. If show starts late, opening band goes long with turnover, your kids are way past their bedtime. They may need to sleep on your shoulder, rest in a chair, etc. The other reason you need reserved.

5. Aboslutely 1 child per adult. You can't trouble shoot issues with both.

6. Venue matters- Are there other things to do if your kids get board like walking the concourse, looking at stuff etc. This was essential at Farm Aid. Lots of stuff going on to pass the time.

7. Does your kid enjoy music and more importantly PJ? If not then don't bother.

That being said my son largely enjoyed Farm Aid and seeing Neil Youngs Heart of Gold was a highlight which we probalby listen to weekly on Youtube due to his request. We are a very musical family. I think it was a greatly rewarding experience that my son enjoyed. If PJ comes back to KC, I'll definitely plan on taking him He can sing along to many of the albums.

My last and final advice if you go to the show with your kid, it's to spend time with your daughter(s) and not attend a concert. It sounds simple but if you apply those principles you'll do fine. Let us know how it goes.

95-Milwaukee, 98-East Troy, 00-East Troy, 03-Detroit  Nights 1 and 2, 03-Toronto, 04-Grand Rapids, 05-Kitchener, 06-Cincinnati, 06-Auburn Hills, 10-New Orleans, 10-Kansas City, 11-PJ20 Nights 1 and 2, 13-Chicago, 14- Moline, 16-Chicago Nights 1 and 2, 18-Seattle Nights 1 and 2, Chicago Night 1, 21-Ohana Encore Night 1 and 2, 22-Imola, St. Louis.

• Options
    CapnBobCapnBob Lexington, SC Posts: 369
    I took my daughters,14 and 9, to the Mid Town Festival in ATL last fall and they had a great time, even after being in the sun all day waiting on Pearl Jam to start they had a blast when PJ hit the stage, before the show they even liked meeting the other PJ fans and talking to them, telling them it was their first show, where they were from and how excited they were to be there. I also got them each a bootleg so that they will always remember their first PJ concert. There were no issues before, during or after the show and I am planning on taking them again this fall to the CLT concert, If it were me I would bring the 7 year old as I don't think its ever to early to start them out getting to see the greatest band ever perform live.
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • Options
    iiseeiisee Charlotte, NC Posts: 485
    I took my son to the Charlotte 1996 show. He was 8 years old and knew the words to many of the songs already (which amazed some the fans around us...lol). We both enjoyed the shared experience immensely. Since then, he has been to shows with me in 2000, 2003 and 2008. He graduated from college in 2011 (with honors) with a degree in Music Education. Today, he is Director of Bands for a county in the public school system in NC. While we are a very musical family, I believe in my heart that that first Pearl Jam experience contributed directly to setting him on the path he is on today. Can you tell I am a proud Dad? 8-)
    8/25/92 – Charlotte, NC
    10/4/96 – Charlotte, NC
    8/4/00 – Charlotte, NC
    4/16/03 – Charlotte, NC
    9/5/05 – Edmonton, Canada
    6/16/08 - Columbia, SC
    6/17/08 - VA Beach, VA
    6/26-27/12 - Amsterdam, NL (I and II)
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Feild, Chicago, IL
    10/30/13 - Charlotte, NC
    11/22/15 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
  • Options
    GirlLovesPJGirlLovesPJ New Jersey Posts: 1,038
    Your kids won't see anything but people's backs, unless they're on the rail. GA is not a good option for kids IMO.
    2012: Philadelphia, Atlanta
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Chicago, Worcester 1 & 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Philadelphia 1 & 2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Oslo, Gdynia, Leeds, Cincinnati, St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2015: New York City, Mexico City
    2016: Miami, Columbia, New York City 2, Quebec City, Chicago 2
    2018: Seattle 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2
    2022: New York City 2, Camden
    2023: St. Paul 1 & 2, Chicago 2, Austin 1 & 2
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    No reason whatsoever to bring someone under the age of 13 to a GA show. IMO. There are to many things that could go wrong. Even during a "calm" GA show, there are plenty of drunks, jerks, and boneheads that push and shove anything in there way. And the possibility of a fight breaking out or trampling.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the replies and suggestions.

But no, I'd never consider GA for them...that will be for my myself and my wife (SD) and my buddy (LA2).

When I put in for the lottery with my top 3 choices being General Admission for SD, LA2 & LA1 (followed by the same Reserved order), I never dreamed I'd win my first two GA show requests. I figured I'd maybe get one Reserved pair, or worst case scenario, if I got shut out totally, I'd buy public tickets for the whole family.

I guess it's a good problem to have, but not sure if the little ones will be making it to PJ this year...unless I find another buddy to take my SD GA and my wife doesn't mind tending after the kids (they are old enough to behave and enjoy the show) in the public seats. But at the same time, I would kind of like to be with them the whole show so there is my dilemma.

I thought about getting public seats for LA1, but I think that weekend will be for the boys only.

Anyways...if my kids don't get to go this time around, I'll tell my wife she has to sit out next time!

Thanks again.
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    I took my 13 year old brother in 2008. Which I know is different from 9, but he loved it. It didn't seem so at the time, but he couldn't stop taking about it afterwards!
  • Options
    Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    No experience yet but I'm bringing my 10 year old to buffalo! He's been begging for a couple years. Finally making it happen! I'm hoping he'll love it but I won't get my hopes up TOO high. Going to go with ear plugs. I wouldn't even think of doing GA with a kid...would just be too stressful. I know the OP wasn't planning on GA.

My 7 year old wants to go too but I feel like she's too young...just my opinion.
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Options
    Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    Posted this plenty of times, but here is my then 12 year old stepson's first taste of being on the rail at PJ in Perth 2009. Skip to the end of Unthought Known.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHd0tb2qRr4

Both Mike and Ed threw picks to him after this. ;)
  • Options
    Posted this plenty of times, but here is my then 12 year old stepson's first taste of being on the rail at PJ in Perth 2009. Skip to the end of Unthought Known.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHd0tb2qRr4

Both Mike and Ed threw picks to him after this. ;)

Awesome! Two picks are one thing...but to be immortalized in bootlegs for all of history, is quite another! Well done!!!
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    In Ga teens yes,Little ones no.In reserved I think it's all good if you have the patience and your kids aren't to sheltered about language,smells etc
    On another note parents be careful what you create by involving your kids early.I had the surprise of seeing my 17 year old crowd surfing on the large screens at Welcome to Rockville fest to Papa Roach and Stone Sour, they just might learn to enjoy it too much.lol
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    1 and a fucking half?
  • Options
    october22 wrote:
    1 and a fucking half?

I assume you are talking about my post. Yes, he's 1-1/2.

We have three day passes to the event. We are going Friday to scope things out, if it's kosher we will probably take him Saturday and we'll go back alone on Sunday.

We went last year and there were a ton of little kids. They set it up on a giant park, everything is very spread out and there are no mad crushes of people.

It is not like I am going to have him on the rail.

There is plenty of room to steer clear of crowds, there are games and carnival rides, etc.

The ABSOLUTE last thing in the world I would ever do is put my child in any sort of harm's way so, like I said, if it ain't kosher/safe, he won't be going.

"Why go home? I am home! And I gotta tell you, it feels FUCKIN GREAT to be here. You may experience this yourself but, if you were born in Chicago, you're always from Chicago. And even if you don't live in Chicago, Chicago will always live in you."-Ed
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    october22 wrote:
    1 and a fucking half?

We have three day passes to the event. We are going Friday to scope things out, if it's kosher we will probably take him Saturday and we'll go back alone on Sunday.

We went last year and there were a ton of little kids. They set it up on a giant park, everything is very spread out and there are no mad crushes of people.

There is plenty of room to steer clear of crowds, there are games and carnival rides, etc.

The ABSOLUTE last thing in the world I would ever do is put my child in any sort of harm's way so, like I said, if it ain't kosher/safe, he won't be going.

Hey, no man, I'm not criticizing your parenting or anything like that. I didn't realize the specifics of the situation and it probably is a way different environment than what I was thinking which was just a typical concert that I couldn't imagine bringing a kid that young to. But I get it.
  • Options
    elahwelahw Posts: 61
    I am taking my son to his first show. We won Seattle reserved seats. I am really hoping that we will get tickets on the sides as opposed to the back of the floor. I have a fairly decent number (238xxx). I plan on just having him use foam ear plugs. He used those at the Monster Truck show and didn't have a problem and it is insanely loud at an indoor monster truck show. The Seattle show will be just before his 11th birthday. I am not sure who is more excited about it, him or me!?!? :D
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Someone to hold your beer while rocking out to Even Flow... perfect height too :lol:
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Someone to hold your beer while rocking out to Even Flow... perfect height too :lol:
    That's what I'm talking about!! About time they give back a little.They had a ticket bought for them.This makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,165
    Interesting thread...not sure what I'd do or where my age cutoff would be.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    october22 wrote:
    october22 wrote:
    1 and a fucking half?

We went last year and there were a ton of little kids. They set it up on a giant park, evuerything is very spread out and there are no mad crushes of people.

:D:D
    Hey, no man, I'm not criticizing your parenting or anything like that. I didn't realize the specifics of the situation and it probably is a way different environment than what I was thinking which was just a typical concert that I couldn't imagine bringing a kid that young to. But I get it.

:D

No worries, I get it. Thinking more about it, it does sound a bit strange taking such a little one to a punk rock festival. But, this may be his only chance to ever see The Pixies. :-)

Believe it or not, it was the wife's idea.

We'll see.

• Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    I have been bringing my son since he was 7 and he has done fine and had great times. I do bring earplugs for him and have been sure to not take him to a GA show.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Brought my boys to LA and SD (from NJ) for their first shows when they were 9 and 6. They were always exposed to the music and are huge fans in their own right, but it became a chance to do trips with just me. I have done each individually and one time (with the help of our Greek friend Dimi) with both (the Toronto shows in 11)... they have each been to 5 shows each...

Just planned two shows for each of them individually... I know I am way more excited but its terrific to get to spend alone time with them and to not have them compete with their siblings.

My 7 year old daughter is now begging me to take her... thinking about it...

In all, they are great excuses to see smiles all over their faces and to spend time with them, which is always awesome.

Bring ear plugs. No GA.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    It's your child you are free to do what you please. Just don't complain about being able to smell marijuana at the show. It's going to happen.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    I agree with most the GA comments and also some of the kids I've seen at the shows are looking at people's backs.

I think kids need to be a certain height (like the rides at the carnivals) as well as age/attention span to enjoy the shows. I see some parent can tell their kids can't see, then they put them on their shoulders and eventually have to put them down.

I know all the great comments about people that have done it with their kids and how much their kids enjoyed it and all and I'm not doubting that. but you need to look at the mentality of children in general, they want to be like you. they want to like what you like so that you have something in common. I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule and some kids flat out didn't enjoy it and the parents had to leave early, but for the most part if you're "cool" with your kid, I mean a rock concert? they would be all over that! a chance to relate to parents "on their level"?

IMO
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    Not PJ, but I took my 3 oldest sons to see The Who Quadrophenia Tour in February (ages 9, 11 and 13) and they were fine. 2 things:

1) Get seats - they would not have lasted if we needed to stand for 3 hours.
    2) Let them enjoy the show how they see fit. My 13 year old stood the entire time. My 11 year old stood for the beginning, then sat and rocked out only being able to see the screens. My 9 year old stood at the beginning, at different times throughout the show and at the end. And it was my 11 year old that woke up the next morning singing - "Can you see the real me? Can ya? Can ya?!" (My 9 year old then joined in). So, they obviously all enjoyed the show in different ways. (and unfortunately, I ruined them. I had to break it to them that their concert going experience is probably all downhill after seeing The Who). They smelled the smells, they saw the drinks, they even go to see their first fight on the floor just below us. I don't think the 9 and 11 year olds knew what the smoke was (and my 13 yo probably just thought he knew, but whatever).

Just a couple more tid bits that worked well:

1) Got to arena early, so they could see their seats/the stage before it was filled. Stayed for very beginning of opening act, so they got the "flavor."
    2) Then - off to the bathroom.
    3) Then drinks - whatever they wanted (Gatorade) and something to eat (Candy, of course- shhhhh! don't tell mom you got sugar with sugar.).
    4) Then to seats as show started.

It obviously helped that I saw the show twice in December, so I knew the pacing of everything. But, they stayed the entire 2:30 or :45 or whatever it was without leaving the seats. Key: Get the drinks AFTER the bathroom. Not before. Even if they chug, by the time it gets through them, you can get them to last another half hour.

Make sure they want to go. They were all psyched up to go. Funny thing is, I'm hoping to bring them to Brooklyn for night 2 for their first PJ show. I got GA for night one b/c I knew I'd want seats for them.

BTW, as far as seeing - position them so they can. My kids actually were "behind" me (we were on side) so that I could get out of their way, then they could find a place to see through/over/around/whatever was in front. It's not like there's a Great Wall of China. There's spaces and the kids will find them. Great thing too - no worries about someone spilling over into your seat because of a "thyroid problem." Kids are small and give you space to "spread out."
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Was on the floor at MSG 2 in 2010 and there were 2 kids sitting in the row in front of us, both were asleep most of the show they didn't pay attention at all when they were awake they sat and played with there toys.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,165
    Was on the floor at MSG 2 in 2010 and there were 2 kids sitting in the row in front of us, both were asleep most of the show they didn't pay attention at all when they were awake they sat and played with there toys.

See, that's when I might get Grandma and Grandpa to babysit.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    amethgr8 wrote:
    I agree with most the GA comments and also some of the kids I've seen at the shows are looking at people's backs.

I think kids need to be a certain height (like the rides at the carnivals) as well as age/attention span to enjoy the shows. I see some parent can tell their kids can't see, then they put them on their shoulders and eventually have to put them down.

I know all the great comments about people that have done it with their kids and how much their kids enjoyed it and all and I'm not doubting that. but you need to look at the mentality of children in general, they want to be like you. they want to like what you like so that you have something in common. I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule and some kids flat out didn't enjoy it and the parents had to leave early, but for the most part if you're "cool" with your kid, I mean a rock concert? they would be all over that! a chance to relate to parents "on their level"?

IMO
    Oh I agree, I am getting a ton out of it... And that is part of the enjoyment... They see how happy I am with them... Trust me, I pay complete attention to their needs and would stop if I believed they were not interested... but so far I have not been getting that vibe... they talk about it often and play PJ on their own.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    DURP wrote:
    It's your child you are free to do what you please. Just don't complain about being able to smell marijuana at the show. It's going to happen.
    This is totally true... actually started some great conversations about drugs with them ... I have moved them because of people smoking but it's a concert, stuff happens.
    GoiMTvP.gif