Options

Guns N' Roses vs. Rush!

ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,198
edited February 2013 in Other Music
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-r ... /?trending

GNR beat The Stones, Zeppelin, AND The Beatles!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Well I voted and you all KNOW which band I voted for. 8-)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-vs-rush/?trending

Well right there is all you need to know about this poll :lol:
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-vs-rush/?trending

Well right there is all you need to know about this poll :lol:

Yeah, that's the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. :lol:

I like GNR alright, but they don't hold a candle to any of those bands. Taste aside, I can't think of anybody who would in their right mind say GNR was better than any of those bands. I think somebody is playing a prank on them. Either that or the GNR community is really organized and skewed the poll.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    What a joke, these polls are irrelevant and pointless.

Who in their right mind can say that GnR are a better band then the Stones or Zeppelin or even the junkass Beatles. (I hate the Beatles but can't deny they were good)

I'm sure most people who vote online for these things are too young to realize just how great the old bands are.
    People that are old enough just can't be bothered to vote.

I did not vote

I hate Rush so much
  • Options
    I hate Rush so much

:shh:

If you keep saying that shit a group of Mounties will come to your home, abduct you, and put you in some sort of Canadian re-education camp.

Just imagine A Clockwork Orange, only instead of violent images you're forced to watch "Rush In Rio"

tumblr_m8jgwxSjyk1qimi3zo1_500.gif
  • Options
    I hate Rush so much

If you keep saying that shit a group of Mounties will come to your home, abduct you, and put you in some sort of Canadian re-education camp.

Just imagine A Clockwork Orange, only instead of violent images you're forced to watch "Rush In Rio"

:lol:

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    The RUSH gap is closing vote people.

Peace

• Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    I hate Rush so much

Wow. Don't go then. Rush hates you too.

:shock:
  • Options
    STAYSEA wrote:
    I hate Rush so much

Wow. Don't go then. Rush hates you too.

:shock:

Do you say anything relevant? Ever?
  • Options
    I hate Rush so much

Btw Rush in Rio was great, it must have so awesome for them to play in front of 60,000 fans.

Peace

• Options
    Fuck geddy lee and fuck rush. Horrible band, horrible music, I wish it wasn't a Canadian band
  • Options
    g under p wrote:
    Btw Rush in Rio was great, it must have so awesome for them to play in front of 60,000 fans.

Peace

It must have been REALLY awesome when The Stones played in front of 1.5 million fans in Rio. :wink:

For the record, I don't really have any hate for Rush. I can take 'em or leave 'em. Mostly leave 'em, but I do own Chronicle. However I bought it in high school and that was probably the last time it ever got anything approaching regular play.
  • Options

Peace

It must have been REALLY awesome when The Stones played in front of 1.5 million fans in Rio. :wink:

For the record, I don't really have any hate for Rush. I can take 'em or leave 'em. Mostly leave 'em, but I do own Chronicle. However I bought it in high school and that was probably the last time it ever got anything approaching regular play.[/quote]

Satansfuton you are awesome cuz you're a stones fan and you know who bobby keys is!
    Waddya know about Gram? Is he on Exhile anywhere ya think or did Mick cut him out?
  • Options
    G N R better than Rush, of course. Better than Zeppelin, come on. I get that Rush fans are as loyal as PJ fans and respect that, just don't like their music nearly as much as GnR.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    Hmmm....
    Guns N Roses = 1985 - 1994 (10 years) - everything after The Spaghetti Incident is crap and isn't the "real" band.
    RUSH = 1968 - present (45 yrs) - arguably the greatest drummer who ever played and one of the greatest bass playing lead singers in music history. Power trio. No lapses in live concerts - each year & every tour is great.

I'll take RUSH...

Neither is as good as The Stones or Zep in my opinion. GnR shouldn't even be in the same conversation quite honestly.
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    Hmmm....
    Guns N Roses = 1985 - 1994 (10 years) - everything after The Spaghetti Incident is crap and isn't the "real" band.
    RUSH = 1968 - present (45 yrs) - arguably the greatest drummer who ever played and one of the greatest bass playing lead singers in music history. Power trio. No lapses in live concerts - each year & every tour is great.

I'll take RUSH...

Neither is as good as The Stones or Zep in my opinion. GnR shouldn't even be in the same conversation quite honestly.

I dont buy into your logic here. Length of career does not equal greatness. Shit Celine Deon has been around for decades too. They are totally different bands. Still would listen to GnR hundred times before Rush, but I like Rush.
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    Hmmm....

I'll take RUSH...

I dont buy into your logic here. Length of career does not equal greatness. Shit Celine Deon has been around for decades too. They are totally different bands. Still would listen to GnR hundred times before Rush, but I like Rush.
    Respectfully - you don't need to buy into my logic, or agree with it. You obviously like the sound of GnR better than RUSH, hence why you'd listen to them 100x before RUSH. More power to you my friend. GnR left a great mark on the landscape of music. Their 10 year run had moments of brilliance. Its also had horrific moments of mediocrity and damn near un-listenable "music". Axel Rose is done. There is nothing of any substance, validity or excellence coming out of GnR, nor will there EVER be again. Plain and simple. Regurgated half ass versions of "Sweet Child o'Mine" sound better in Karaoke bars anymore then Axel's feeble attempts.

Having personally seen both bands live, in their heydays and post, it's no contest. Never been to a show where droves of "fans" left a RUSH show. Been to 2 GnR shows where that was the case. How bout you?

RUSH has survived for almost 50 years. There is quality to their shows today. There is quality to their albums today - and they've had lapses for sure. Years from now aspiring drummers from rock to jazz will be studying and learning from the great Neil Peart. Bass aficionados will be slapping "2112" on and trying to figure out how Geddy Lee performed intricate bass lines while singing. Not so sure that will be happening with GnR.

Again, I like them both. RUSH has stood the test of time. They are not for everyone. But they are finally getting their place in the RnR HOF where they belong. And again, this is all my opinion. That's all. I'd be willing to bet if you asked the music greats and legends this same question, the overwhelming answer would be RUSH.

Fun discussion. Keep on rocking bro!
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    I'd even argue or recommend that Guns n Hosers 10 year run was only a 5 year run
    1988-1992
  • Options
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    Hmmm....

I'll take RUSH...

PJFAN13 wrote:

Respectfully - you don't need to buy into my logic, or agree with it. You obviously like the sound of GnR better than RUSH, hence why you'd listen to them 100x before RUSH. More power to you my friend. GnR left a great mark on the landscape of music. Their 10 year run had moments of brilliance. Its also had horrific moments of mediocrity and damn near un-listenable "music". Axel Rose is done. There is nothing of any substance, validity or excellence coming out of GnR, nor will there EVER be again. Plain and simple. Regurgated half ass versions of "Sweet Child o'Mine" sound better in Karaoke bars anymore then Axel's feeble attempts.

Having personally seen both bands live, in their heydays and post, it's no contest. Never been to a show where droves of "fans" left a RUSH show. Been to 2 GnR shows where that was the case. How bout you?

RUSH has survived for almost 50 years. There is quality to their shows today. There is quality to their albums today - and they've had lapses for sure. Years from now aspiring drummers from rock to jazz will be studying and learning from the great Neil Peart. Bass aficionados will be slapping "2112" on and trying to figure out how Geddy Lee performed intricate bass lines while singing. Not so sure that will be happening with GnR.

Again, I like them both. RUSH has stood the test of time. They are not for everyone. But they are finally getting their place in the RnR HOF where they belong. And again, this is all my opinion. That's all. I'd be willing to bet if you asked the music greats and legends this same question, the overwhelming answer would be RUSH.

Fun discussion. Keep on rocking bro!

I've seen the Gunners twice, once on their own and the Monsters of ROCK Tour with Metallica opening. On their own it was at best a mediocre show, Axel appeared wasted at the Capital Centre, Landover MD. to me he sounded distorted and by the end of that show most of the fans headed for the doors and Beltway traffic.

The other was better but Metallica stole the entire show and that same sentiment came Gunner fans. After Metallicas steamy set it took the Gunners almost 2 hours to hit the stage and to me their best songs were covers " "Knockin On Heavens Door" and a hot "Live And Let Die". We didn't leave RFK Stadium till 3am and all I could remember was Metallicas show and seeing 50,000 mop heads head banging to songs like "harvester of Sorrow" " Blackened" and "Disposable Heroes" that tore down the house.

I do like the Gunners "Appetite" album especially this one..... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H0ySi6smb6A

They WERE a great band but toooo toooo many egos got in their way of longevity and future stardom. To me they just were not that professional in their musicianship, it was more like we can do whatever we want even if it meant screwing their fans.

On the other hand Rush were and still to this day true pros at what they do. I've seen the band 47 times and NOT ONCE have they ever disappointed me. even Metallica has done that. Back in the mid 70's when I first heard RUSH, I was attracted to them when I heard the guy who sang like he just sat on a tac with the very high pitch. I've been hooked ever since and YES THE BAND SIMPLY is not for some I completely understand that fact and those who do follow the band do so as feverously as we do here with Pearl Jam and then some.

Again it's all good ill never tell you RUSH IS BETTER than the Gunners or vice versa....it comes down to YOUR own personal taste.

Peace

• Options
    Even some Gunner fans have given RUSH their due

sweetness, on 31 January 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:
    Rush deserves it. GNR is my favorite band but Rush are superior musicians, not to mention they've been around twice as long and haven't had a tenth of the bullshit issues GNR has had in that time.

Just be happy GNR made it this far in this stupid poll
    +1

Every time I have seen Rush I have been taken aback at how great they still are even though they are all nearing their 60's in age. Combine that with nearly 40 years of fantastic music and performces to me this vote is a no brainer.

This is from the MYGNRFORUM.COM

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/to ... e__st__540

PEACE

• Options
    Satansfuton you are awesome cuz you're a stones fan and you know who bobby keys is!
    Waddya know about Gram? Is he on Exhile anywhere ya think or did Mick cut him out?

You might not think I'm so awesome after this, but I've never been really able to get into Gram, Flying Burrito Brothers or Gram's contribution to The Byrds. But I have a lot of respect for Gram. I'm also not a huge Elvis fan, but I respect his talent and influence, I just don't really listen to the music that much. I'd say both men are artists I like in theory, but the actual execution isn't up my alley.

I just don't like country music, I think it stems from being raised in Texas and having country music kind of crammed down my throat. "Alternative Country" from the 60's and 70's I have more respect for, but I just can't always get into it because of the sound. I've enjoyed The Stones country songs though, because they seem pretty tongue in cheek. Especially "The Girl With The Faraway Eyes".

That video still cracks me up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyK1bZZ7E-s

Certainly Gram influenced the Stones, so I appreciate him a lot for that. And his presence at Nellcôte is well documented, such as in this great picture...

keith-richards-gram-parsons.jpg

... and his influence can be heard all over the album, mostly on the "country side" (Side 2). Officially he's not on the album. I wouldn't put it past Mick to take Gram off the album. Mick was supposedly a little jealous of how close the two were. Or maybe jealousy is the wrong word, but Mick didn't care for outsiders coming in and having influence over his songwriting partner. He wasn't even crazy about Bobby Keys coming into the mix at first. But I don't think it can all be put on Mick, as the story goes, it was Keith who asked Gram to leave Nellcôte, according to the Wikipedia entry (maybe edited by Mick :lol: ) for "his obnoxious behaviour and an attempt by Richards to clean the house of drug users as the result of pressure from the French police."

As many pictures as there are of Keith and Gram at Nellcôte jamming together and hanging out, I find it impossible that he didn't lay down any tracks at all. I'm sure they wound up on the cutting room floor. But he could be on there somewhere. Those sessions weren't well documented, it was mainly whoever was sober enough to play whenever somebody got a wild hair up their ass to record something. Many Stones songs from that era don't have a definitive personnel listing (although that have tried to come up with them in hindsight) but you can look at some songs and it will say something like "it's either Charlie Watts or Jimmy Miller on drums" and things like that. So The Stones might not even know if Gram is on the album, but officially he isn't.

Here's an interesting video from the "Ask Keith" segments about Gram. Keith doesn't say anything about Gram playing, or say that Gram influenced him, he seems to think they were kindred spirits leaning in the same direction as opposed to one influencing the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlczEy9-aZM

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread, but I was asked. Don't EVER get me started on The Stones :lol: :nono:
  • Options
    g under p wrote:
    Even some Gunner fans have given RUSH their due

sweetness, on 31 January 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:
    Rush deserves it. GNR is my favorite band but Rush are superior musicians, not to mention they've been around twice as long and haven't had a tenth of the bullshit issues GNR has had in that time.

Just be happy GNR made it this far in this stupid poll
    +1

Every time I have seen Rush I have been taken aback at how great they still are even though they are all nearing their 60's in age. Combine that with nearly 40 years of fantastic music and performces to me this vote is a no brainer.

This is from the MYGNRFORUM.COM

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/to ... e__st__540

PEACE

I definitely give Rush their due. They are all amazing musicians and they are one of the greatest rock bands of all time. I just prefer GNR, at least early GNR. They definitely were a train wreck of drugs, egos and assholes but that stuff also made them great. You can hear it in their music. Like I said, two very different bands both great but if Appetite was sitting next to 2112, I would reach for Appetite.

Love music!! Always like to debate music with others. Hopefully see you all in Chicago!
  • Options
    RUSH WINS! RUSH WINNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSS?

Peace