Options

MY NEIGHBOR'S PREVIOUS JOB WAS TO MAKE ME SANDWICHES...and a guy i worked with killed his wife

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    norm wrote:
    so, no more sandwiches?

nah...the sandwich thing was sooo a few weeks ago, norm.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Congratulations!
    Beat it smokey joe!

thank you sir. i thought of your post this week actually because the girl who bought our house, did it without her fiance at the showing. she just took pictures for him. i would never agree to that. to each their own though!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    I can relate: we had an apartment above an old lady who would freak out from us just walking across the floor. One time my son and I came out in the morning and she tried to yell at him, I had to place myself in front of him and yell at her so that he didn't hear her crap. We were very careful not too make too much noise. She used to complain to the complex management. Just batshit crazy. It was so great when we finally moved out in September. I hope a family with many small children moved in and are making her life a living hell. We now are in a single house in 1.5 acres in the woods - have met only one neighbor. Love it.
  • Options
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I can relate: we had an apartment above an old lady who would freak out from us just walking across the floor. One time my son and I came out in the morning and she tried to yell at him, I had to place myself in front of him and yell at her so that he didn't hear her crap. We were very careful not too make too much noise. She used to complain to the complex management. Just batshit crazy. It was so great when we finally moved out in September. I hope a family with many small children moved in and are making her life a living hell. We now are in a single house in 1.5 acres in the woods - have met only one neighbor. Love it.

that's awesome. guy i work with lives in the development we are moving to. he says he can go a couple months without even seeing his neighbors sometimes. :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    norm wrote:
    so, no more sandwiches?

that's a bummer...so you're eating salads now?
  • Options
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

that's awesome. guy i work with lives in the development we are moving to. he says he can go a couple months without even seeing his neighbors sometimes. :lol:

you bet. I can play music as loud as I want, I can even pee off my back porch. We enjoy it a lot.
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:
    so, no more sandwiches?

that's a bummer...so you're eating salads now?

:think:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

you bet. I can play music as loud as I want, I can even pee off my back porch. We enjoy it a lot.

well i pee out in my yard now so that won't be much different for me. :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

well i pee out in my yard now so that won't be much different for me. :lol:

I keep joking with my sons that I will build a still in the woods in back of the house
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Congratulations!
    Beat it smokey joe!

thank you sir. i thought of your post this week actually because the girl who bought our house, did it without her fiance at the showing. she just took pictures for him. i would never agree to that. to each their own though!

My wife and I are total opposites as well. We do trust one another and it had almost everything she was looking for. Making an offer (even a pre-certified offer w/a check for downpayment) is not the same thing as signing the paperwork so I never would have totally signed off on it w/o her. Even though we are opposites she loved it on sight.
    I hope that this is the same case for you guys -- I am sure with all of the extras that will be so.

I will add one word of caution -- I moved from California where we lived on the water in a 1 BR apartment...to Jersey where we rented a 3 BR apt. while we looked for the house, and now into a 4000 sq foot house.
    The fucking furniture is going to cost me as much as my downpayment.
    If you are moving into a much bigger place start looking for deals on shit you can fill the house up with asap!

Enjoy the process -- it is exciting/fun and alternately a huge energy dump.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    it will be a bigger place, 2800 plus the basement. but we have a good amount of furniture already, just need some nicer stuff, or so the wife says.

4,000 sqft? damn dude. i could fit 2 of my townhouses in there. :lol:

...lil wrench thrown into the plans. we took our parents to see the place on saturday and the back yard was kind of flooded. rained the night before :x they disclosed that this happened before and they installed a drain last year. yeah, apparently that's not working properly. inspection is on tuesday, we'll see what happens...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643

4000 sqft is a trade off for all of those years living in SoCal with 1,100.
    Plus I need room for all of the PJ Posters to hang somewhere? I am at 14-15 now. 8-)

Good luck with the flooding in the byard. Mine doesnt flood but is soggy and I am seriously considering rolling sod out next year. Shit will look like the Super Bowl. (For a while anyway....)

Use this to get a better price and then you can use that money on better drainage solutions.
  • Options

4000 sqft is a trade off for all of those years living in SoCal with 1,100.
    Plus I need room for all of the PJ Posters to hang somewhere? I am at 14-15 now. 8-)

Good luck with the flooding in the byard. Mine doesnt flood but is soggy and I am seriously considering rolling sod out next year. Shit will look like the Super Bowl. (For a while anyway....)

Use this to get a better price and then you can use that money on better drainage solutions.

eh, we actually walked away before inspections took place. they said the drain was working properly and to expect water to sit around for a day or so before it goes away. we can't have that. especially with the dog and kids at some point. top end of our price range too. not worth the expected stress.

onward and upward...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Good luck!
    I dont know if you are on the PA side or the NJ side but there is a ton of shit for sale over on the Jersey side.
  • Options
    Good luck!
    I dont know if you are on the PA side or the NJ side but there is a ton of shit for sale over on the Jersey side.

pa. there's nothing good for sale around here. :lol: when i expand my search enough, i do see a bunch of places in jersey pop up. fucking taxes are ridiculous over there. all the good ones around here are swiped up within a matter of days. definite sellers market. we have started to discuss short term living to hold us over just in case. rates are so low rate now, it would suck to be forced to wait. but we'll see.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    i swear to god--i'm a magnet for awkward situations.

so we walked from the previous house. a guy i work with (he actually sits 5 feet away from me) owns a house in the same neighborhood. kinda thought that would be a little odd. but turns out he's getting divorced and has been joking about how i should just buy his house. other guys who sit around us joke about that as well. little running joke at work lately.

well today i come in and am talking to him about how stressful my situation has been, with having to move in a couple months and not finding a place yet, and he again says i should just buy his house. but he was more serious about it this time. so he sent me the link on zillow and said if i wanted to see it, he'd like to show it to me this week because his wife is out of town (apparently the wife has to be convinced to sell now as opposed to waiting. but they'd make more $ selling now by owner than listing it with a realtor and paying broker fees--he thinks he can convince her if he can produce an actual buyer)............

anywho, the house is great. its basically the house we walked away from minus the backyard flooding, with a pool/hot tub, with a fenced in yard for the pooch, and with a lot of updates that the other one doesn't have......for 5k less. we're looking at it tomorrow, but it seems like a no brainer assuming his wife is on board.

anyway.....i get along with this guy fine, i can just foresee quite a few awkward moments buying a house from a guy who sits 5 feet away from me at work. like i will feel uncomfortable talking to the wife about it on the phone at work. same with my realtor/brother. if something goes wrong, that's sure to be kind of strange. plus i'm not a fan of everyone knowing my business at work, and now this will be out there.

anyone ever buy from someone they know? anyone ever buy from someone who isn't using a seller's agent? advice? comments? thoughts? yada? yada? ya...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    i swear to god--i'm a magnet for awkward situations.

so we walked from the previous house. a guy i work with (he actually sits 5 feet away from me) owns a house in the same neighborhood. kinda thought that would be a little odd. but turns out he's getting divorced and has been joking about how i should just buy his house. other guys who sit around us joke about that as well. little running joke at work lately.

well today i come in and am talking to him about how stressful my situation has been, with having to move in a couple months and not finding a place yet, and he again says i should just buy his house. but he was more serious about it this time. so he sent me the link on zillow and said if i wanted to see it, he'd like to show it to me this week because his wife is out of town (apparently the wife has to be convinced to sell now as opposed to waiting. but they'd make more $ selling now by owner than listing it with a realtor and paying broker fees--he thinks he can convince her if he can produce an actual buyer)............

anywho, the house is great. its basically the house we walked away from minus the backyard flooding, with a pool/hot tub, with a fenced in yard for the pooch, and with a lot of updates that the other one doesn't have......for 5k less. we're looking at it tomorrow, but it seems like a no brainer assuming his wife is on board.

anyway.....i get along with this guy fine, i can just foresee quite a few awkward moments buying a house from a guy who sits 5 feet away from me at work. like i will feel uncomfortable talking to the wife about it on the phone at work. same with my realtor/brother. if something goes wrong, that's sure to be kind of strange. plus i'm not a fan of everyone knowing my business at work, and now this will be out there.

anyone ever buy from someone they know? anyone ever buy from someone who isn't using a seller's agent? advice? comments? thoughts? yada? yada? ya...

A very close friend of mine purchased their house from someone they worked with. It worked out for both parties the seller didn't have to go thru the whole listing showing commission bs.... They got a fair price for their house quickly and moved on to the next place.

My friend got a house in the neighborhood they wanted, for the price they wanted, I think they only paid realtor fees for the paperwork. But they really knew this neighborhood well so they knew what to expect. There never seemed to be any issue after the sale...Had each other over to show each other the renovations / new house. It worked for them.... So this can and does work out.

But you have to be comfortable with the type of person your going to be buying from and obviously take extra precautions with inspections if it gets that far. I might talk to him before you even start the process with your concerns. You could even ask for a home warranty too or build it into the purchase price to help with concerns or possible future issues.

Maybe since you work with others near you and you don't like people at work knowing your business.....You could send your wife a text instead. Just a thought. It's just human nature that people sometimes listen. Not nice :nono: But the walls have ears. ;)

Keep searching those listing. It's an emotional drain! The well maintained houses are up and gone sometimes in the same day. You've gotta be one of the first ones to view some of these properties to have a chance at even making an offer. Hang in there! You will find your home!
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • Options
    2 of the sales guys on my team live in houses they bought from their wives' parents. (Awkward!)
    Both of them live in houses beyond their pay grade -- 1 in Southern CA and 1 in Northern NJ, where the costs are ridiculous. So the tradeoff when they complain is that they know they got the best deal they could have received with none of the normal games that go along with the home purchase.
    They dont often complain, but as shared I recently bought a house so I asked them lots of questions on different things and the both did complain about how awkward some aspects of the sale process was. (Not the least of which was full financial disclosure to their already-too-involved in-laws.)

One of the guys still gripes about how his in laws come over and refuse to take off their shoes when they walk through his house (he asks everyone to do this) and how they also bring their dog into the house even though he has asked his wife 10x to speak to them about leaving the dog outside/home/or in the entryway if they have to bring it over.

Cracks me up. I would never buy a house from my in-laws, even if it was a much nicer house that I otherwise would get. Imagine the fighting with the wife over that. :nono: :fp:

As far as buying from someone you work with I can think of the advantages...you can ask him about stuff frequently that you may want to know and you can have a captive audience if you want something fixed.

If it fits, is cheaper and you get along OK with the guy I would say buy it. If he is your manager or in some way is in a position of management above you I would say don't touch it. :)

Good luck!
  • Options
    so the wife and i still have not found a place we both like. signed a 3 month lease for a condo in the area to hold us over. getting a storage unit too for all our extra stuff. hopefully we find something soon. moving out in a few weeks.

moving blows. it fucking blows.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Almost no activity that blows more than moving.
    I am a lazy bastard (actually I have a back that hates me if I get too crazy) and I have paid to have someone move all of the shit for me the past 4-5 times but it still sucks. It also costs a lot more back east than it did in CA, for obvious reasons. :lol:

Hopefully the 3 month lease will do it for you. We signed a 6 month and ended up going month-to-month for 4 additional months until we finally moved into the home purchase. Every rent check pissed me off as I knew it wasn't contributing to anything....good luck!
  • Options
    you will not believe this, but the guy i work with who wanted me to buy his house to help speed up his divorce proceedings....stabbed his wife to death, in his house that he showed us, on thursday night. they have 2 kids who were in the house at the time, we're assuming. unreal story. i've sat next to him for 3 years. really nice, easy going guy.

surreal experience at work yesterday. can't put into words how bad i feel for his twins.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    you will not believe this, but the guy i work with who wanted me to buy his house to help speed up his divorce proceedings....stabbed his wife to death, in his house that he showed us, on thursday night. they have 2 kids who were in the house at the time, we're assuming. unreal story. i've sat next to him for 3 years. really nice, easy going guy.

surreal experience at work yesterday. can't put into words how bad i feel for his twins.
    So the value of the house just dropped significantly.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

Wow! Just wow!!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

omg..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    its like a movie. doesn't seem real. my wife was wondering if us seeing the house behind her back could have played a role in this latest argument somehow. but their issues go so much deeper than that though. the whole thing is so weird. he had a restraining order on her before. and is claiming self defense.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    jesus! :shock:

that's wild!
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157

question... when was it he killed his wife? the next day or two after you folks went thru the home?
    that is some pretty heavy shit, jeags
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:

question... when was it he killed his wife? the next day or two after you folks went thru the home?
    that is some pretty heavy shit, jeags

no no...we looked at the house about a month ago. this just happened on thursday night.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    crazy fucking neighbor asshole
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options