Options

what the hell happened to Axl Rose?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    goldrush wrote:
    The teenage me that loved Appetite and Lies (and a chunk of the Illusion records) still kinda hopes for Axl to bring out one more great GN'R record. I don't care if it's the original band or some hired hands, he was a great songwriter and I'd be happy if he could pull it off.

Of course the scrawny 'kid on the streets' Axl from '86 is now a distant memory but if there's one thing that the 50 year old Axl could learn from playing with Neil at the Bridge School is that it is possible to still kick people's asses if you ignore all the bullshit, stop believing the hype and just concentrate on the music.
    I think the real problem at this point is that he can't sing anymore.
    Personally, I think that's always been the problem. Axl has never sounded good live imo....
    But yes, he can write. Appetite is a total desert island album for me.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,661
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    goldrush wrote:
    The teenage me that loved Appetite and Lies (and a chunk of the Illusion records) still kinda hopes for Axl to bring out one more great GN'R record. I don't care if it's the original band or some hired hands, he was a great songwriter and I'd be happy if he could pull it off.

Of course the scrawny 'kid on the streets' Axl from '86 is now a distant memory but if there's one thing that the 50 year old Axl could learn from playing with Neil at the Bridge School is that it is possible to still kick people's asses if you ignore all the bullshit, stop believing the hype and just concentrate on the music.
    Personally, I think that's always been the problem. Axl has never sounded good live imo....
    And I actually have my eye on both Use Your Illusion albums on vinyl. :) The guy has not been a waste of space. But he's lost it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    And I actually have my eye on both Use Your Illusion albums on vinyl. :) The guy has not been a waste of space. But he's lost it.
    If those two albums were made into one album, it would challenge Appetite. Not for a second would I ever say it was better....but there are some amazing songs on those albums too!....and Lies has a couple of songs that rotate in and out of my GnR top 10. They were a great band for 5-6 years....in the studio esp ;)
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    What an ass.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,649
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    What an ass.

Axl and Slash need to be dropped on a desert island together, be forced to patch things up, stop being pricks in life, and start writing tunes together again. That's the only thing that could straighten up either of them. They need eachother.
  • Options
    .....and they patched things up! Friends again according to Slash. Oh this could get interesting
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    PJ_Soul said:

goldrush wrote:

Same could be said for DLR in Van Halen. Sammy can still sing but Diamond Dave's voice is shot. Makes me miss Michael Anthony's background vocals even more.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

.....and they patched things up! Friends again according to Slash. Oh this could get interesting

Should have done that before the R&R HoF induction. That would have been awesome, even if he would have shown up late anyways as Chris Rock pointed out.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

That's a bit of a stretch. They are talking again.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,153
    He got old & he shredded his vocal cords.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

He got old & he shredded his vocal cords.

I still say that he's the same. Even in the 80s and 90s he was either awesome or awful. No different today. On Some of the 2014 shows (with Duff) he sounds great
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I've heard a reunion tour for next year is already a done deal. With frequent days off, they could put on some monster shows. Especially if Izzy and Adler are involved.
  • Options
    I think it could happen. Everyone except Slash and Adler has played with Axl the past few years. I hope it happens.

Axl playing with " tecnically great" musicians hasnt been the same and Slash playing those tunes with a technically great singer hasnt been the same either. Both missed the attitude that comes with being next to the other.
  • Options
    Let's hope he's better than this if they reunite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=20&v=J2NSK1EoC7Y
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,153
    edited August 2015
    Nicely documented decline via age and time. He's lost the growl, but can hit those high notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCe8C0Cz6-w
    Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    YAY!!! They're talking-that's progress!

Personally, I don't give a flying f*ck if he sings like Stephen Hawking as long as he's back with the boys and has a middle finger in working order. He can waddle and warble for all I care.

• Options
    I'm excited! I hope they can get back together.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Am I the only one that never really got into GNR that much??
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

Yes.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    dankind said:

Yes.
    I saw them once at RFK Stadium in DC 1990....I never liked the band much but after THAT show I disliked them even MORE. METALLICA blew them off the stage....it only took GNR two hours to get on stage play their lousy set. We didn't leave till 3am, their best songs were the cover tunes they played. Please let them rest this band, they've had their hey day and it's long gone, long ago.....!

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    g under p said:

dankind said:

Yes.
    I saw them once at RFK Stadium in DC 1990....I never liked the band much but after THAT show I disliked them even MORE. METALLICA blew them off the stage....it only took GNR two hours to get on stage play their lousy set. We didn't leave till 3am, their best songs were the cover tunes they played. Please let them rest this band, they've had their hey day and it's long gone, long ago.....!

Peace

Similar experience here, except it was September 1992 in Orlando and Metallica sucked, too (except for Kirk and Jason).

I should've left after Faith No More. It just wasn't going to get any better than that. They fucking killed it with a short, epic (pun intended) set. They opened with "Caffeine," and I swear everyone who showed up early to see them turned to the person next to them and pretty much slammed into their neighbor as hard as they fucking could. And "Zombie Eaters" fueled everyone's bloodlust into a frenzy a few songs later.

Good times!

GNR was already done in 1992.

But the Guns N' Roses below was the best goddamn rock & roll band to hit the scene since Led Zeppelin.

https://youtu.be/UIV46m-l-Uk
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    I love classic GnR, but I agree that this band just needs to be able to die in peace. It's over. Axl is just depressing now, and no one cares about Slash. Time for them to just leave it, and allow their legacy to remain no more damaged than it already is.
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,490
    edited September 2015
    Maybe they care more about rocking out than their legacy. They were at their best together. I say give them a chance or two or three. I want to hear new material!

And I care about Slash. :bawling: I don't walk around with this huge snake draped over my shoulders to look like Britney Spears.
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on