Inspiration for I'm open

fb282152fb282152 Posts: 24
edited September 2011 in Words and Music...Communication
in I'm open my favorite lines are
when he was six he believed that the moon overhead followed him
by nine he had deciphered the illusion, trading magic for fact
no tradebacks...
so this is what it's like to be an adult

I saw the work of the photographer Duane Michals in sweden he's a photographer and along with his pictures he writes some text. He has one that is called many moon and it reminded me a lot of these lyrics so i thought i'd share ;)

it goes like this :

when i was a little boy it seemed to me that there were many moons.
My grandmother had a moon and my other grandmother had one to. We had a moon over our backyard, and my best friend Art had moonlight in his bedroom from his moon.
When we visited relatives in chicago I was not surprised to discover their moon.
Then one night when as we returned from a visit to my grandmother i watched out of the cars back window and saw her moon follow us home.
Her moon was our moon there was just one moon!
Now the sky seemed so empty
I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me ... guaranteed
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PilateOfTheStormPilateOfTheStorm Posts: 4,319
    i love this post
    I'm Open is one of those songs that I listened to and liked, but not that often
    And then one night, BAM! It just hit home and I felt like it had been written for me

my favourite lyrics from it are :

"Dream up a new self
    For himself"

That photo you mentioned, it's beautiful. He's a great photographer - thank you for introducing him to me.
    I thought that I'd post the picture here for others to see, because it's great. And the writing with it - it's great.

michals_pp_26.jpg
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    "After spending half his life searching, he still felt as blank as the ceiling at which he stared. He's alive, but feels absolutely nothing. So, is he?"

My favorite line. I think we've all been there!
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    This is an awesome thread!
    Thank you!

Love the moon story... my father looks like the moon :lol:

I'm open
    I'm open
    Come in
    Come in
    Come in
    Come in

I'm open
    I'm open
    Come in
    Come in
    Come in
    Come in
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvDHl3-W ... re=related .... calling

Does he know... can he feel it... can he hear me calling? :D
  • Options
    I don't remember exactly what it was but I was recently reading or listening to something older than that track and there was almost the exact same quote about the moon and I thought "Oh, that's where Ed lifted that from" but now I don't remember what it was.

If I had to guess, I'd say that it was when I read Catcher In The Rye a couple of weeks ago. That would make sense as it would fit in well with HC's ramblings. Maybe someone knows the book better than me and can verify or refute that. I can't cos I gave the copy back that I borrowed.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    I don't remember exactly what it was but I was recently reading or listening to something older than that track and there was almost the exact same quote about the moon and I thought "Oh, that's where Ed lifted that from" but now I don't remember what it was.

If I had to guess, I'd say that it was when I read Catcher In The Rye a couple of weeks ago. That would make sense as it would fit in well with HC's ramblings. Maybe someone knows the book better than me and can verify or refute that. I can't cos I gave the copy back that I borrowed.
    this not it but I love this....

It was that kind of a crazy afternoon, terrifically cold, and no sun out or anything, and you felt like you were disappearing every time you crossed a road.

~J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye, Chapter 1

I can relate from my youth
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

It was that kind of a crazy afternoon, terrifically cold, and no sun out or anything, and you felt like you were disappearing every time you crossed a road.

I love The Catcher in the Rye. I remember reading it and just being like woah....being able to relate and these emotions that I felt when reading it.

love that quote, thanks for sharing Pandora, it's been a while since I read the book.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

I love The Catcher in the Rye. I remember reading it and just being like woah....being able to relate and these emotions that I felt when reading it.

love that quote, thanks for sharing Pandora, it's been a while since I read the book.
    me too, its been a real long time :lol:
    high school :o
    Its a good one and still required reading, well at least 12 years ago when my kids were in high school.

This quote too... but I prefer to share and miss someone...
    that's living

"Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody. "
  • Options
    ozgurkdozgurkd Juneau, Alaska Posts: 434
    i love this post
    I'm Open is one of those songs that I listened to and liked, but not that often
    And then one night, BAM! It just hit home and I felt like it had been written for me

my favourite lyrics from it are :

"Dream up a new self
    For himself"

That photo you mentioned, it's beautiful. He's a great photographer - thank you for introducing him to me.
    I thought that I'd post the picture here for others to see, because it's great. And the writing with it - it's great.

michals_pp_26.jpg

I love it too ;

"Dream up a new self
    For himself"
    Living is no laughing matter: you must live with great seriousness like a squirrel for example - I mean without looking for something beyond and above living, I mean living must be your whole occupation.
    Nazım Hikmet
  • Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    fb282152 said:

I saw the work of the photographer Duane Michals in sweden he's a photographer and along with his pictures he writes some text. He has one that is called many moon and it reminded me a lot of these lyrics so i thought i'd share ;)

it goes like this :

when i was a little boy it seemed to me that there were many moons.
    My grandmother had a moon and my other grandmother had one to. We had a moon over our backyard, and my best friend Art had moonlight in his bedroom from his moon.
    When we visited relatives in chicago I was not surprised to discover their moon.
    Then one night when as we returned from a visit to my grandmother i watched out of the cars back window and saw her moon follow us home.
    Her moon was our moon there was just one moon!
    Now the sky seemed so empty

What a sweet story.
    It does fit nicely with I'm open.

I've always loved the lyrics.

Trading magic for fact. So this is what it's like to be an adult.

That is so true and painfull.
    I'm not an ambitious man, if I really ever had any it was to be a father
    and to keep the child inside alive as long as I can.

Now I'm a dad and I love the fact that I get to witness the magic of the world through my daughters eyes.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn