Options

25th Anniversary Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Concert on HBO

normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
edited December 2009 in Other Music
:mrgreen:

Here's the lineup for the four-hour special:

Jerry Lee Lewis: “Great Balls of Fire”

Crosby, Stills & Nash segment: “Woodstock” – Crosby, Stills & Nash; “Almost Cut My Hair” – Crosby, Stills & Nash; “Love Has No Pride” – Crosby, Stills & Nash, Bonnie Raitt; “The Pretender” – Crosby, Stills & Nash, Jackson Browne; “Love the One You’re With” – Stephen Stills, James Taylor

Stevie Wonder segment: “For Once in My Life” – Stevie Wonder; “The Tracks of My Tears” – Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson; “The Way You Make Me Feel” – Stevie Wonder, John Legend; “The Thrill Is Gone” – Stevie Wonder, B.B. King; “Higher Ground/Roxanne” – Stevie Wonder, Sting; “Superstition” – Stevie Wonder, Jeff Beck

Paul Simon/Simon & Garfunkel segment: “You Can Call Me Al” – Paul Simon; “Here Comes the Sun” – Paul Simon, David Crosby, Graham Nash; “The Wanderer” – Dion, Paul Simon; “Two People in the World” – Little Anthony & the Imperials; “The Sounds of Silence” – Simon & Garfunkel; “The Boxer” – Simon & Garfunkel; “Bridge Over Troubled Water” – Simon & Garfunkel

Aretha Franklin segment: “Baby I Love You” – Aretha Franklin; “Don’t Play That Song (You Lied)” – Aretha Franklin; “Chain of Fools” – Aretha Franklin, Annie Lennox

Metallica segment: “For Whom the Bell Tolls” – Metallica; “Sweet Jane” – Metallica, Lou Reed; “Iron Man”/”Paranoid” – Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne;“All Day and All of the Night” – Metallica, Ray Davies; “Enter Sandman” – Metallica

U2 segment: “Vertigo” – U2; “Magnificent” – U2; “Because the Night” – U2, Patti Smith, Bruce Springsteen; “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” – U2, Bruce Springsteen; “Gimme Shelter” – U2, Mick Jagger, Black Eyed Peas; “Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of” – U2, Mick Jagger; “Beautiful Day” – U2

Jeff Beck Band segment: “People Get Ready” – Jeff Beck Band, Sting; “Let Me Love You” – Jeff Beck Band, Buddy Guy; “Rice Pudding”/“Foxy Lady” – Jeff Beck Band, Billy Gibbons; “A Day in the Life” – Jeff Beck Band

Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band segment: “Hold On I’m Coming/”Soul Man” – Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Sam Moore; “Ghost of Tom Joad” – Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Tom Morello; “Fortunate Son” – Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, John Fogerty; “Pretty Woman” – Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, John Fogerty; “Jungleland” – Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band; “A Fine Fine Boy” – Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Darlene Love; “New York State of Mind” – Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Billy Joel; “Born to Run” – Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Billy Joel; “Higher and Higher” – Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, John Fogerty, Billy Joel, Darlene Love, Sam Moore, Tom Morello

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/tvblog/hb ... e9FqMQChgJ

http://www.hbo.com/events/rocknroll/index.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I wish I had HBO right now.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    I wish I had HBO right now.

Me too :(
  • Options
    Wow... and I thought I couldn't hear Stone on ACL.

What's up with Kirk's guitar during Metallica?
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I have to say the Simon and Garfunkel set gave me goosebumps. They nailed the classics they sang. Bridge over Troubled Waters almost brought me to tears. Also Jeff Beck doing A Day in the Life solo was unreal. This is a great show. I hope they release it on DVD. :D
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    . I hope they release it on DVD. :D

if they dont ,
    i could arrange this for you.

:)

have to totally agree with cropduster- they( S & G ) sound exactly "on" , for being apart so many years and alll.

-one of my highlights was mick jagger with u2 singing stuck in a moment.
    -also gotta give props to fergie for her spin on gimme shelter with mick and U2 .
    -bruce again doing i still havent found what im looking for with u2 was also excellent . It was more precise this time .
    - Jungleland not too much else to say right there.
    "The Rangers had a homecoming " always gets a little spurt of extra cheers at MSG .
    The Professor was spot on with the keys ,
    and the Big Man held his own on the big horn solo part as well.
    If you are there live for this ,Incredible!
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    great show...wish i couldn have been there!

some highlights for me...

“Higher Ground/Roxanne” – Stevie Wonder, Sting;

“Here Comes the Sun” – Paul Simon, David Crosby, Graham Nash;

“The Boxer” – Simon & Garfunkel

“Iron Man”/”Paranoid” – Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne

“Because the Night” – U2, Patti Smith, Bruce Springsteen;

“I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” – U2, Bruce Springsteen

“Gimme Shelter” – U2, Mick Jagger, Black Eyed Peas

“A Day in the Life” – Jeff Beck Band

“Hold On I’m Coming/”Soul Man” – Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Sam Moore

“Pretty Woman” – Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, John Fogerty

“New York State of Mind” – Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Billy Joel
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Watching it right now.

Stevie Wonder getting so emotional singing Michael Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel" was so very touching.

How about Tom Hanks opening speech about Rock and Roll. Just awesome!!

BB King sounds great!!
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    I must admit, I am one lucky fucker. My dad took me to both of these special, special shows. Unfortunately, I'm at my house at school and don't get HBO, so am eagerly awaiting the special to show up on the internet. Too many highlights to list, but if I could just choose a couple of tracks, New York State of Mind sent shivers down my spine the whole time, and Gimme Shelter - right when Fergie started singing the beginning part, I knew the rumours I had been hearing were true - Mick Jagger would show up. And he did. From behind a curtain off to the side, the man who is larger than life showed up, the crowd erupted, and the energy went through the roof. Jungleland also converted me into a Bruce Springsteen fan - rarely have I seen anyone sing that passionately, and the E Street Band are absolutely phenomenal as well. Finally, seeing Metallica with Lou Reed doing Sweet Jane, followed immediately by White Light, White Heat, was absolutely astonishingly cool.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    aNiMaL wrote:

How about Tom Hanks opening speech about Rock and Roll.

He also produced the program
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Metallica's set is kicking my ass right now!!!!! That was killer with Ozzy. And now with Ray Davies!! Just awesome!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    mick made me.......

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you gotta love him.
    don't get all up in bono's face. he ain't having it.

Simon and Garfunkel
    my mom: crying
    me: snoring

my favs
    stevie
    jeff beck
    give me shelter
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Simon and Garfunkel
    my mom: crying
    me: snoring
    :lol::lol::lol:

Sounds like some unforgettable shows!!! Wish I had HBO to watch! Rolling Stone had a pretty long feature on the event with some really great pictures, if anyone is interested!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    yeah the mag got me hyped for it for sure. some cool b&w pics in there of the show and candids.

• Options
    What’s the story behind jeff beck’s female guitarist?

• Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574

You mean the bass player??? Yeah, she looked 14. Wonder who she's related to? No way she was just picked at random to play a gig this big.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125

You mean the bass player??? Yeah, she looked 14. Wonder who she's related to? No way she was just picked at random to play a gig this big.

You mean this woman she does look 14 but she can play that bass.

Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club (London) 2007 - Behind The Veil

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Her name is Tal Wilkenfield and she's the girl of my dreams :lol: She's about twenty-one, I believe, and from Australia. She also happens to be pretty gorgeous, and a hell of a bass player. Check this phenomenal Jeff Beck Band performance of 'Cause We've Ended as Lovers for an incredible bass solo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blp7hPFaIfU
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    benjs wrote:
    Her name is Tal Wilkenfield and she's the girl of my dreams :lol: She's about twenty-one, I believe, and from Australia. She also happens to be pretty gorgeous, and a hell of a bass player. Check this phenomenal Jeff Beck Band performance of 'Cause We've Ended as Lovers for an incredible bass solo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blp7hPFaIfU

The fist time I saw in that London show fell for her playing and the way she pops her neck. Way too kool for me :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    mick made me.......

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you gotta love him.

:D And it's not like Bono doesn't do that crap to the Edge all of the time. Guess he didn't like the shoe on the other foot.

I loved the U2 performances overall but don't think they best job with Gimme Shelter. But Fergie was rockin' it. I was impressed with herr.
  • Options
    gabers wrote:
    mick made me.......

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you gotta love him.

:D And it's not like Bono doesn't do that crap to the Edge all of the time. Guess he didn't like the shoe on the other foot.

I loved the U2 performances overall but don't think they best job with Gimme Shelter. But Fergie was rockin' it. I was impressed with herr.
    Seeing Mick's interactions with Fergie at the show was just too much fun.. the shows did confirm for me that U2 are seriously overhyped. I found their performances to be uninspired and rigid, and were only saved by the phenomenal guests they played with. Fergie and will.i.am, or whatever he likes to be known as, brought so much energy to the show, and when Mick came in... 'nuff said.

EV
  • Options
    how did jeff find her?
    i like that she doesn't try to be all cool and hide her smile. i'd be smiling too!

and yeah U2 is blah

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,748
    I've been catching bits and pieces of this on HBO and it has been pretty damn good...

Anyone else find it weird that the Rock n Roll HOF is in Cleveland and they have the concert in NYC? Cleveland gets the shaft once again....
  • Options

http://www.talwilkenfeld.com/
  • Options
    ew, thanks!

from the site:
    Widely hailed as "the rising star of the bass guitar," Tal Wilkenfeld first picked up guitar at the age of 14, in her native Sydney, Australia. She soon realized her passion and decided to pursue music professionally in the United States. After a year of studying guitar in Los Angeles, Tal found her true calling, and switched to the bass. It didn't take long for the 17-year-old prodigy to get noticed; after playing bass for only a few months, famed luthier Roger Sadowsky heard her play and immediately offered her an endorsement with Sadowsky Guitars.

Very quickly, Tal started performing as a sideman and bandleader, playing with the likes of Russell Ferrante, Kenwood Dennard, Hiram Bullock, Jeff "Tain" Watts, Leni Stern, Susan Tedeschi, and the Allman Brothers Band.

• Options
    She looks like she's 15 in this video. God damn is she cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2rD2eWsY7k