Any 2004 albums you've gone back to?

pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
edited November 2005 in Other Music
I make this thread because there's one album in particular I keep coming back to that was released last year. It's kind of pushed it's way as one of my favorite albums ever in recent weeks and I wonder what exactly I was listening to last year that I didn't hear it.

That album would be Futures by Jimmy Eat World. I seemingly can't get enough of it and it's getting it's fair share of spins despite the bulk of albums I've gotten in the last month or two. It's certainly the best thing they've done and is really a good combination of the sound of their previous two albums.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is does anyone else have an album(or albums) released last year that they bought last year and have seemed to really grow on them this year? Also if there's any Jimmy Eat World fans I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on this album or on the band in general as I haven't seen a Jimmy Eat World thread here yet.
Pearl Jam Album Rankings
---
1. Ten
2. Vs.
3. Pearl Jam
4. Binaural
5. No Code
6. Riot Act
7. Yield
8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
---
1. Black
2. Rearviewmirror
3. Light Years
4. Given to Fly
5. Severed Hand
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pinback - summer in abadon

kinda liked it at first, but it didnt spend that much time off the CD shelf, bought it back out a couple of months ago, and really love it now, probably play it once a week or so...
  • Smile - Brian Wilson
    Funeral - Arcade Fire (i recently got really into this a few months back)
    and
    The Libertines - The Libertines (not as good as Up The Bracket, but still great)
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    2004 was an amazing year...even better than this year.

Emotive ~ A PERFECT CIRCLE.
    Fingers Crossed ~ ARCHITECTURE IN HELSINKI.
    Black Coats & Bandages ~ CLANN ZÚ.
    The Devil Isn't Red ~ HELLA.
    Panopticon ~ ISIS.
    They Were Wrong, So We Drowned ~ LIARS.
    Leviathan ~ MASTODON.
    I Am The Fun Blame Monster ~ MENOMENA.
    They Make Beer Commercials Like This ~ MINUS THE BEAR.
    Uh Huh Her ~ PJ HARVEY.
    Oxeneers Or The Lion Sleeps When Its Antelope Go Home ~ THESE ARMS ARE SNAKES.
    Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes ~ TV ON THE RADIO.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • Mark Lanegan Band-Bubblegum
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I'll have to agree with you on Jimmy Eat World. I find myself listening to their stuff more and more everyday, and Futures has definitely been at least a once a week listen for awhile now. Great album by a great band in my opinion. I saw them open for Green Day and I regretted not seeing them headline their own show a few months earlier.
  • pj_zombie wrote:
    I make this thread because there's one album in particular I keep coming back to that was released last year. It's kind of pushed it's way as one of my favorite albums ever in recent weeks and I wonder what exactly I was listening to last year that I didn't hear it.

That album would be Futures by Jimmy Eat World. I seemingly can't get enough of it and it's getting it's fair share of spins despite the bulk of albums I've gotten in the last month or two. It's certainly the best thing they've done and is really a good combination of the sound of their previous two albums.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is does anyone else have an album(or albums) released last year that they bought last year and have seemed to really grow on them this year? Also if there's any Jimmy Eat World fans I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on this album or on the band in general as I haven't seen a Jimmy Eat World thread here yet.

Well for me 2004 was all about the Killers Hot Fuss. Every song on that album is amazing to me. Even better knowing that it was basically self produced by them. If anybody here just knows them by their I'll admit terrible videos and promotion I encourage you to check out the album. Imo it's really different and good.

Futures is great. For me it sits as their second best next to Clarity. There was a thread awhile back here talking about Jimmy Eat World and a lot people said they felt Futures was over produced. I think Gil Norton did an amazing job on it. Adkin's vocals are just getting better and better.

The only dissapointing record of 2004 that I still go back to is Sparta's Porcelain. Out of the 14 songs on it only 3 really still do it for me. It's just not as good as Wiretap Scars in any way.
  • I bought Emotive right after I voted.
  • I like Clarity and all but it's my third favorite of theirs. It might have something to do with me listening to it a couple of months ago right when I got into a nasty accident that totaled my car. It just has a different vibe to it I guess. I loved their self-titled release, got me into them after all. IMO Futures is the perfect combination of Clarity and their self-titled album. I'm glad they left behind the sound of Static Prevails because I can't stand that CD. Futures though, is an amazing album that has strong rock songs, solid mid-tempo songs and the always great and slow Drugs Or Me. Also, maybe it's just because the album came out in the Fall but it has that sort of winter/fall type feel to it which may very well have triggered my recent listenings of it. All the same, I think Jimmy Eat World aren't too far behind Foo Fighters and Shinedown on my list of favorite bands(all of which follow Pearl Jam of course).
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Well for me 2004 was all about the Killers Hot Fuss. Every song on that album is amazing to me. Even better knowing that it was basically self produced by them. If anybody here just knows them by their I'll admit terrible videos and promotion I encourage you to check out the album. Imo it's really different and good.

Futures is great. For me it sits as their second best next to Clarity. There was a thread awhile back here talking about Jimmy Eat World and a lot people said they felt Futures was over produced. I think Gil Norton did an amazing job on it. Adkin's vocals are just getting better and better.

The only dissapointing record of 2004 that I still go back to is Sparta's Porcelain. Out of the 14 songs on it only 3 really still do it for me. It's just not as good as Wiretap Scars in any way.

NIN...I did not think much of it....I don't know why...It just wasn't there. Perhaps they tried TOO hard....
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    Interpol - antics

that bass intro in that "evil" song craves for me to go back and listen...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb-U2...I listened to this almost a year to the day I bought it and I didnt even try to do it that way.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • pj_zombie wrote:
    I like Clarity and all but it's my third favorite of theirs. It might have something to do with me listening to it a couple of months ago right when I got into a nasty accident that totaled my car. It just has a different vibe to it I guess. I loved their self-titled release, got me into them after all. IMO Futures is the perfect combination of Clarity and their self-titled album. I'm glad they left behind the sound of Static Prevails because I can't stand that CD. Futures though, is an amazing album that has strong rock songs, solid mid-tempo songs and the always great and slow Drugs Or Me. Also, maybe it's just because the album came out in the Fall but it has that sort of winter/fall type feel to it which may very well have triggered my recent listenings of it. All the same, I think Jimmy Eat World aren't too far behind Foo Fighters and Shinedown on my list of favorite bands(all of which follow Pearl Jam of course).

Yeah I could see how that could kinda mess with your opinion of the record. Still my favorite of theirs though. Awhile back I ran sound for a band and they were horrible. The guy came up and asked me what I thought and I said "Wow, you all remind me of Static Prevails era Jimmy Eat World." "Oh really man thanks." To which I said "But I don't really like Static Prevails."
  • Yeah I could see how that could kinda mess with your opinion of the record. Still my favorite of theirs though. Awhile back I ran sound for a band and they were horrible. The guy came up and asked me what I thought and I said "Wow, you all remind me of Static Prevails era Jimmy Eat World." "Oh really man thanks." To which I said "But I don't really like Static Prevails."

Ha, I guess if that's what they are shooting for they hit their mark. With Clarity, I guess I just prefer some of their more up beat stuff mixed in with the slower songs. It's really the perfect combination with Jim's amazing voice and the occasional female vocals in the background. If I were to rate the albums as a whole they'd go from most recent to oldest. I think they've gotten better with every album and I can't wait for their next effort.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • "Hot Fuss" by the Killers
  • Arcade Fire- Funeral

Ray LaMontagne- trouble

Sparta- Porcelian
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Eagles of Death Metal (Josh Homme's side project from QOTSA).
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075

couldn't agree more.
    viggs20 wrote:
    I Am The Fun Blame Monster ~ MENOMENA.

great album. it took me a while to track it down to buy it.
    i'm not going back to but rather just discovering 'the dirty south' by the drive by truckers.

had heard southern rock opera, but never actually bought any of their albums. borrowed a copy of dirty south and i'm liking it a lot...
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Death From Above 1979, what a great album
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • incubus - a crow left of the murder
    ben kenney - 26
    ben kweller - on my way
    sparta - porcelain
    grüvis malt - simon
    modest mouse - good news for people who love bad news
    day one symphony - a vicious circle
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Tell me what's new - Gem
    Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
    There's a trapdoor in the sun!
    2000 Pinkpop Festival, Netherlands
    2006 Arnhem, Netherlands
    2006 Antwerp, Belgium
    2007 Nijmegen, Netherlands
    2009 Philadelphia 4, PA
    2010 Bristow, VA
    2012 Amsterdam 1, Netherlands
    2013 Buffalo, NY
    2013 Baltimore, MD
    2015 Global Citizen Festival New York, NY
    2016 Hampton, VA
  • I didn't discover it until '05, but since it was released last year, I've got to go with Kings Of Leon "Aha Shake Heartbreak". It's quickly becoming one of my favorites of all-time. Seeing them didn't hurt, either.
    "If you love someone... set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck it up." - Ed
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    JSBE wrote:
    great album. it took me a while to track it down to buy it.
    Have you been able to track down their latest - Under An Hour...it has 3 songs which I think were composed as music to a performance for an Arts festival.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
    viggs20 wrote:
    Have you been able to track down their latest - Under An Hour...it has 3 songs which I think were composed as music to a performance for an Arts festival.

i didn't even know they had a new one until about a week ago. i think it was a review on pitchfork, not sure though. based on the review i read i guess it is totally different than their last one.