Red Hot Chili Peppers

BrezBrez Posts: 570
edited May 2007 in Other Music
I've seen some people on here that hate them, and some people who love them too.. But why hate them?

Behind Pearl Jam they have to be my second favorite band... And I'm just wondering how someone could not like them. I understand not liking Stadium Arcadium because it's a bit repetitive of some of their other "older" stuff (Granted the stuff it sounds like was made in like 1999 and 2002). And Blood Sugar Sex Magik has to be one of my favorite albums of all time!

So I know there are haters on here... let's have some reasons :)
And before his first step... He's off again...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    It's great to see a thread on this. I must admit, I am somewhat guilty of chili pepper hatred, but honestly it's just cause I am a casual fan and favored alot of older stuff like BSSM and other stuff. I guess stuff mainly comprised of their early recordings from the 80's or early 90s. I had heard that RHCP were real hit and miss live, and only concentrated on new stuff and it just never appealed to me.
    However, my friend that works for the radio station ended uo getting us free tix in like the 5th row lower balcony above the floor for their show in Dallas on January 13, 2006. The show happened (due to weather we weren't sure). I actually really liked Stadium Acadium and so I was thinking ok, I'm gonna give these guys a shot. The show was GREAT!! I mean it's not the best I have seen, but I will see the Chili Peppers again. :). The band had great energy. Flea and John Fruscante are amazing mucisians. One thing I really liked about RHCP was that each member gets time in the spotlight and gets to do a solo, so you really get to see each member showcase their own talent indivisually as well as together. I have posted the set list but here it is again, cause people are always trying to find their setlists.

January 13, 2007- Dallas, Tx

can't stop, Dani California, Scar tissue, charlie, havana affair (the Ramones), hump de bump, BSSM, Song bird (John Fruscante solo, Fleetwood mac cover), snow (Hey Oh), Throw away your television, warlocks, me and my friends, stadium Arcadium, right on time, C'mon girl, californication, By the way.
    Encore: Under the bridge, Give it away, 15 minute outro Jam (Just John, Flea, chad, and the bongo player from Gnarls Barkley.
    Gnarls Barkley was ok, just not really my thing. It may have just been their sound too. sounded really muffled.
    The only thing that I grew bored with (and I may get reamed :o) is that the 15 minute jam was cool, but went on WAY too long. In that amount of time, they could have played 3 or 4 more songs. Sorry but I get bored with the endless guitar jam stuff after five minutes.

But one of my friends is right: Each band deserves a chance because their live shows may do something for you. I thought Californication was a horrible album... but I liked by the way and S.A. The show was great as I said, so I respect the chili peppers alot more now, and even downloaded a bunch of songs from rhapsody sort of like my own greatest hits. I'm not the biggest RHCP fan, but I've got newfound respect for them.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • the chili peppers just don't really do anything for me. i like a few of the songs i've heard, but every time i hear a full album by them it always disappoints me. and i have absolutely hated every song i've heard from stadium arcadium (and i even liked the singles from californication and by the way). i dunno, for me, they are one of those bands who a greatest hits would suffice for me. and even that might be too much.
  • Seriously, the Chili Peppers rock!!! So what if they're mainstream? They're still damn good!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
    I agree with the poster above and my dad used to say this, and even I agree with it: RHCP have some great songs, but lackluster albums. The majority of their albums are dissapointing, so that's why I made my own compilation. I'd rather pay like 20 bucks and have all good chili peppers music, and fill the cd up 80 minutes worth then waste 12 bucks for like 3 or 4 good ones per album. I really liked S.A though (Great bass and Guitar riffs). Dani California is by far the worst song on the album. I really think there are a greatest hits band, although I did enjoy their set for this tour. There are some SA songs I wanted to hear, but I know it's impossible to please everyone... still a great live show.
  • allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    Just saw them live on Monday night (Jan 15th in St. Louis). Totally impressed. Night and day difference from the last two times I saw them. They also did the 15 minute jam thing at the end, which I thought was great!

Set List (not official, just from memory, but if anyone has the official setlist I would love to see it!):

Can't Stop, Dani California, Other Side, Charlie, Fortune Faded, Get On Top, Snow, C'mon Girl, Readymade, Right on Time, Hey, Nobody Weird Like Me, Don't Forget Me, Califonication, By The Way

Encore: I Could Have Lied, Give It Away
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    MAybe the problem here is yet another generational one. Growing up on vinyl albums, then cassettes before video hits and instant downloads I do not expect every song to be a smash hit, or to be exactly to my taste.
    I think out of every album I have owned, and there has been a few, there would be songs that I do not like. BUt that is one of the strengths of album music. It gives bands a chance to try weird or different stuff, or to chill a bit. There should be mood movements throughout an album.
    I'm thinking maybe it a gen y hit driven thing that everybody thinks every track should have teh qualities of a single. Then if the is something a bit laid back or left of their idea of cnetre, they bag the whole album. But another person might cut a totally differnet set of tracks out as the shit.
    Music is not a competetion.
    St. Louis set taken from RHCP official message board.

Intro Jam - John and Flea
    Can't Stop
    Dani
    Otherside
    Charlie
    Fortune Faded
    Readymade (sweet solo!)
    Get on Top (crowd was lovin it!)
    Nobody weird like me
    Snow
    Don't forget me
    John, Chad, and Flea jam
    Comon Girl
    Californication
    London Calling into Right on time
    Hey
    By the Way

Encore

Drum Solo (he threw his stick like 30 ft. in the air)
    I could have lied
    Give it away
    End Jam w/ Flea & John
  • allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    Sweet, thank you!!!
  • MAybe the problem here is yet another generational one. Growing up on vinyl albums, then cassettes before video hits and instant downloads I do not expect every song to be a smash hit, or to be exactly to my taste.
    I think out of every album I have owned, and there has been a few, there would be songs that I do not like. BUt that is one of the strengths of album music. It gives bands a chance to try weird or different stuff, or to chill a bit. There should be mood movements throughout an album.
    I'm thinking maybe it a gen y hit driven thing that everybody thinks every track should have teh qualities of a single. Then if the is something a bit laid back or left of their idea of cnetre, they bag the whole album. But another person might cut a totally differnet set of tracks out as the shit.

i understand what you're saying, and i agree - albums should have an ebb and flow to them, it provides a dynamic atmosphere that a collection of singles doesn't. that said, i feel the chili peppers make horrible albums. i don't like the way they flow. i just don't think they are very good at that. they can write some good songs though, it just takes too much sorting through the crap to get to the good stuff. and it has nothing to do with mood movements in their case. it has a lot to do with mediocre songwriting.
    allornone wrote:
    Sweet, thank you!!!
    No problem! :D I wish they had played fortune faded in Dallas, but seems we got the Ramones cover in it's place, but it was still pretty bad ass. I forgot that RHCP had contributed to that Ramones tribute album.

Did Gnarls Barkley's sound just completely suck? They seemed like a good act on paper (as the Dallas morning news said), but sound wise they were awful, and the problems just ruined their entire performance. I don't think hip hop acts translate very well live in arenas, but maybe that's just me. Gnarls Barkley are good at what they do, but just not really my thing. The sound was so bad, we had to get up and walk around for awhile cause we couldn't hear anything but feedback for like 3 songs.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i think californication ia a brilliant album. that's about it.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I used to be a huge fan of them, then I saw them live and lost my faith. Also I thought after Californication they really went downhill. I liked By The Way when it first came out, but I got bored of it pretty quickly. To me Stadium Arcadium is one of the worst albums of the last year. It's like they just don't try anywmore. they found this sound that they know will sell and they're not straying from it, and I find it boring as hell. I really lost a lot of respect for them because of this too. It's a shame. I still love everything up until Cali though And I do my best to remember the good times.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I saw them four times in four years... the third performance in Lansdowne Road did nothing for me but the other three were fantastic! They put on a good solid live show, but I haven't seen any of the Stadium Arcadium tour nor do I want to. That album shouldn't really have been a 2cd, it would have made a fine 1cd album.

I still have faith in them though, cos if it wasn't for Scar Tissue I wouldn't have really gotten into rock music, therefore Pearl Jam and for that I owe them everything!!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Come on.. they suck !

I loved Blood sugar. I'm a bassist and it's almost impossible not to like this album when you're a bassist).
    One hot minute was awesome ! This is maybe in my top ten albums of all time...

But everything they released after One hot minute is the same. They made 3 or 4 albums since 95 (4 I think) and really I can't hear them anymore !
    Kiedis's voice is always the same. Each album is the same, etc.
    Their last track ("Hey ho") makes me sick ! There's no power in their songs.
    Even Flea has become lazy...
    The only good stuff is the guitar parts, but it's not sufficient...

There's so many good band that deserve a bit of success, instead of RHCP...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I just cant repsect them because of the fact they have always sold out making shitty glamour videos, heaps of catchy of radio singles, losing their trademark sound over time to a low fi poppy dribble and just AK just can't sing. John F albums are better then the RHCPS's work.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Zoso wrote:
    making shitty glamour videos

Indeed, their videos are awful... no one is good or beautiful.
    Idem for their cd covers (except the one of one hot minute)
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • StereotypeStereotype Maribor, Slovenia Posts: 885
    RHCP is a radio band for me. It's OK if you listen to the radio and they pop up but otherwise they aren't really something.

I like their version of Higher Ground and Under the Bridge..the early stuff mostly..and then..Road Trippin' and maybe Around the World.
    The other songs are just mediocre to me..The new stuff like Hey Oh ..WTF..I don't get it at all. Sounds like a child's poem to me...closer to pop than to rock.
    Flea is a good musician and for me he stands out.
    When they play live..then I'm really disapointed..I understand that on CDs there is at least one quitar more but even considering that, they still sound so empty...
    Well that is how I feel. No hard feelings, fans ;)
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

• NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    the chili peppers are the shit

their lives shows are hit or miss ,,but their sound is sweet imo
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Used to like them a lot, but went really off them at the time californication came out, found it really boring aside from a few songs. I dont hate them, but never listen to them anymore.

Listened to Stadium Arcadium at a friend's house and thought it was awful.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I don't really know what my feelings are with them. I like their older stuff and liked Californication and By The Way, but Stadium Arcadium did absolutley nothing for me. I can't find a song I can really connect with out of the whole bunch. I think had it been a single disc album it would have been okay, but I find it to be stretched thin and total rubbish.

"Tear" from By The Way is one hell of a song though...wow
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    1991-2 They were probably my fav band. BSSM was one (and still is) hell of an album, but since with each passing year and new Chili's album i've gone off them more and more. Californication did bring my love back for a short while, but then they went and made the dull 'By The Way'. Stadium Arcadium has a few good tracks but way, way too much crap.
  • Seriously, the Chili Peppers rock!!! So what if they're mainstream? They're still damn good!!!
    ^^ i agree.

BSSM is almost perfect, and the rest of their work is great too.

Here's a big reason why people hate them right now: Dani California and Tell Me Baby.

Crap, boring pop rock songs on an album that's fucking spectacular. By The Way was a little bit the same..

"By The Way" and "Can't Stop" kind of suck (not bad.. but kind of) but the third single I believe was Zephyr Song which is pretty. "Snow" is a beautiful song and actually deserving of the respect they've gotten, unlike the firs two singles.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    ^^ i agree.

BSSM is almost perfect, and the rest of their work is great too.

Here's a big reason why people hate them right now: Dani California and Tell Me Baby.

Crap, boring pop rock songs on an album that's fucking spectacular. By The Way was a little bit the same..

"By The Way" and "Can't Stop" kind of suck (not bad.. but kind of) but the third single I believe was Zephyr Song which is pretty. "Snow" is a beautiful song and actually deserving of the respect they've gotten, unlike the firs two singles.
    I think that is part of the problem. Out of 28 songs on SA, Dani California is by far the wost song for a single. There are soooo many other songs that would have been better. Dani california was ruined for me the night it premered on Dallas radio anyway. The dj puts the track on and says "check out this new track by the chili peppers-"anything sound familiar??" He then starts singing Mary Jane's last dance by Tom Petty over the chili pepper song!" I laughed my ass off. I think "stadium Arcadium", desecration smile, wet sand (killer track... love it), and slow cheetah would be some great radio singles. Dani California is so lackluster.
    Also, I really wish they would start playing some One hot minute tracks live. I understand that John quit the peppers before that album, but that was a choice he made. I think it would be great to hear his unique guitar style to those tracks as oposed to Dave Navarros guitar parts. I never really understood, why John has refused to learn/play songs from that album. Warped, and My friends were great songs. I liked aeroplane too.
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    I used to dislike them until I read Scar Tissue...which is more a biography on Anthony Keidis than the RHCP. I did gain a new appreciation for them through his writing. They've been through some tough shit, but then again, everyone is messed up to some extent.
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    When people say that they think Stadium Arcadium sucks, I can see why you would think that, because the songs that they used for singles either just plain old sucked (Dani California) or were too poppy and got really old really fast (Snow, Tell Me Baby).

But when some people said Californiacation sucked... I think we have to agree to disagree. I just love that album, granted some of the songs get old (Other Side), there is just not one bad song on there (for me...).

I've only seen them once, and this was back in October of 2006. And when some guys have said that they are hit and miss live, I guess I'll have to take their word for it. Seeing as I've only seen them once, but any show seeing John Frusciante (one of my favorite guitarists of all time), Flea (favorite bassist of all time), and Chad open and close with a jam is a good show. I see how if you don't play an instrument or are a person who likes to hear more singing this may get boring, but that is pretty much the only reason I went to that show, to see them jam.

Which I guess leaves the question How are they "hit or miss" live? What was a bad show that you saw them do?

EDIT: I forgot to mention how awesome of an album of Blood Sugar Sex Magik is... just for the hell of it...
  • i also understand when people say that they don't like stadium arcadium as an album...28 songs are just too much...but there are great songs as well...slow cheetah, strip my mind, death of a martian, and WET SAND...no. 3 in my RHCP all time top 3 (1. soul to sqeeze, 2. don't forget me)...and this song is a proof that tony is able to sing if he tries hard enough ;)...and there is not one song that is really bad...probably because of these incredible soli

and dani and tell me baby as singles were ok, snow rather not...

by the way is the most beautiful POP album i know, (beautiful and pop, yes that's possible) and californication is a great album, too...and i don't have to say anything about bssm...one hot minute is ok but i think that dave navarro belongs to jane's addiction...btw, this new band is absolutly terrible...

i never saw them live personally, just on tv, but i think that was enough ;) i rather safe my money for pj shows
    "now i've got room to spread my wings and my messages of love...yeah love was my drug but that's not what i died of"

"I don't wanna think, I wanna feel"

"Go then, there are other worlds than these!" - Jake Chambers

09/02/2005 Vancouver
    09/23/2006 Berlin
    06/21/2007 Düsseldorf
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    ...and this song is a proof that tony is able to sing if he tries hard enough ;)...

You mean Anthony?
  • I actually like keidis's voice quite a bit.

Frusciante's back up vox (especially that slammin falsetto) is one of the band's best features though.

"Make our day"
    I do really like RHCP's cover of Love Rollercoaster. I thought they did a great job cover it, even if it does sound like the original by the ohio players. I wish RHCP would bust this out live.
  • red mos wrote:
    I do really like RHCP's cover of Love Rollercoaster. I thought they did a great job cover it, even if it does sound like the original by the ohio players. I wish RHCP would bust this out live.
    It's older than Californication and isn't "give it away" or "under the bridge" so that's not gonna happen :rolleyes:

"Make our day"