~Sleater-Kinney~

MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
edited September 2006 in Other Music
I know some people on this board don't like Sleater-Kinney as much as I do, but I think they are amazing.

Corin, Carrie, and Janet are by far, great musicians, who can rock it out with the best of them. They proved even more that girls can rock it more than guys, in my opinion.

Seeing these women open up for Pearl Jam in 2003, made me become a HUGE fan of theirs. Their show in San Francisco last year, was one of the best I've been too that year. Corin's voice can be melodic and then she can screech like a little Grace Slick. Carrie is so animated on stage, that she can't be stopped, and Janet, what can I say about Janet, she has given inspiration to pick up my drums again.

Their new album comes out next month, and I can't wait. Check out their video for "entertain' on sleater-kinney.com The song is definitely harder than any sleater-kinney songs i've heard.
ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
"For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    I'm really anticipating 'The Woods'...the new single is awesome and I know some folks who have listened to the leaked version and they have been saying that this album is going to blow everyone away.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    Have you seen the video? I think it is pretty cool and dark. :) I wished I could've seen them during SXSW :(
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 782
    Entertain is so awesome. Would love to hear the album now, will be buying later if anyone wants to help out!
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 782
    want the leak want the leak (i'm pathetic)
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    they kicked some major ass when they played in Bellingham recently! They played a few of their new songs and they sounded awesome. I can't wait for the Woods.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • I'm really looking forawrd to it too. I'll be seeing them on June 24th in Philly which I'm looking forward to even more. I've heard nothing but good about the album.
    "Stone (Gossard, Pearl Jam guitarist) is barely a guy, anyway. [Laughs] He's not a dude. He wears flip-flops onstage."

-Janet Weiss of Sleater-Kinney
    Deadman wrote:
    want the leak want the leak (i'm pathetic)

:p it is understandable. I mean, it is a HIGHLY anticipated album. I can't wait til May 24th!:D

anyone has a favorite song?
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Favourite SK songs :
    One Beat.
    Combat Rock.
    Burn, Don't Freeze.
    A Quarter To Three.
    Get Up.
    More Than A Feeling (Boston cover).
    Words + Guitar.
    Heart Attack.
    God Is A Number.
    Dance Song '97.
    All Hands On The Bad One.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    SK are so fuckin awesome. The first time i heard them was on the Monkey Wrench broadcast (98'). When i meet Ed last tour i thanked him for turning me on to them. when I explained to him that my first exposure to them was the MW broadcast he was completely blown away. "WOW we reached some people out there" he said

I am really exited about the Woods album , it's going to rock really hard!

check out some picutes of Ed and MAtt with Corin and Janet

http://sleater-kinney.com/photos/28.html

http://sleater-kinney.com/photos/28.html
    kick ass
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
    Those are awesome pics. I was looking for the 2003 pics, but thanks to you, i don't have to look no more. :)

Pearl Jam knows how to pick their opening bands, w/o them, I would have not found out about Sleater-Kinney as much. We had a couple of their songs on our station, but I didn't get into them until i saw them. they can fuckin' kick ASS! I remember seeing at the San Antonio, both Matt and Stone were watching from the side of the stage. :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • holy shit is all i can say, "entertain" is awesome...damn what are SK so pissed off about :)

i can't wait for this new album...

i was totally blown away by SK when they opened for PJ at MSG II, janet kicks so much ass, i remember she rocked like a 5 minute solo on words +guitar, amazing
    'sometimes i have everything, yet i wish i felt something'
    holy shit is all i can say, "entertain" is awesome...damn what are SK so pissed off about :)

i can't wait for this new album...

i was totally blown away by SK when they opened for PJ at MSG II, janet kicks so much ass, i remember she rocked like a 5 minute solo on words +guitar, amazing

hey, I was @ that show too!! But my friend and I arrived 5 mins. b/f they ended their set:(
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • MeddleDeal wrote:
    hey, I was @ that show too!! But my friend and I arrived 5 mins. b/f they ended their set:(

oh that sucks :( SK rocked their little hearts out, but no one cared, my sister and I were the only 2 people standing in our section.

i was a semi SK fan before that show but that performance made me dust off "one beat" and buy all their albums
  • mongoloidmongoloid Posts: 11
    One of the top bands. I haven't heard the new one - but I'll pick it up because I'm seeing them at the Warfield in SF on 6/4. Last tour they played the Fillmore - so there moving into bigger places.

I've seen sooo many great gigs at the Warfield. The Replacements, Soundgarden, Social D, PJ Harvey to name a few. SK will add to the list!
  • VictoryGinVictoryGin Posts: 1,218
    I LOVE S-K. I didn't get to see them on the PJ tour- instead I saw every other opening act multiple times. Anyway, they are one of my most favorite bands other than PJ. Just amazing- the drums, guitar, Corin's voice, the energy, passion, and incredible lyrics, I just love them. I have so many favorite songs- #1 Must Have, One More Hour, Ballad of a Ladyman, Sympathy, Far Away... there are just so many great ones.

I'm so excited because I just got tickets this morning for NYC 6/23!! :D I may try for the DC show too.
    if you wanna be a friend of mine
    cross the river to the eastside
    Congrats VictoryGin for getting tixs to the show...I know for sure you will enjoy them. Is this your first time seeing them?
    ~*~*~
    mongoloid-I went to the Filmore show last year, and man, I can't describe how awesome and amazing these girls where. I was at the front of the stage, on Janet's side, shit, that girl is unstoppable. She played drums for the opening band, Quasi, w/her ex-husband, and then several minutes later, she was still drumming for Sleater-Kinney, I don't know how that girl had the energy! She rocks in my book! The Warfield is a nice venue, but the only downfall is that you won't get a poster like at the Fillmore.:) Have fun at the show, shit, times like these, I wished I still live in CA, but i'll be there soon :D
    ~*~*
    My favorite Sleater-Kinney songs are:
    Anyonmous
    I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone
    Male Model
    Little Babies
    Oxygen
    Combat Rock
    One Beat
    Oh!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • MineAmIMineAmI Posts: 114
    one of the greatest bands of the last 10 years...and the woods is AMAZING...maybe their best album

can't wait to see them live!!

thank you eddie for introducing me to S-K!
    we were but stones....your light made us stars
    have you heard of Corin's and Carrie's former bands? Heavens to Betsy and Excuse 17? you should check them out, since these were the bands that helped them evolved into what we all know and love...SLEATER-KINNEY! :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • colorsblendcolorsblend Posts: 173
    VictoryGin wrote:
    I'm so excited because I just got tickets this morning for NYC 6/23!! :D

I'm going to that show! I love Roseland because the stage is higher than most venues and I'm short. I saw them there in feb 03 and they were fantastic.
    Milkshake and Honey is my fave of theirs.
  • talithatalitha Posts: 29
    They are damn good. Looking foward to hearing the new album.
    same here. The girls say it is a different approach then they usually do.I love it that they are experimenting.I read on one of the songs, they have a 11 min. jam!! I LOVE jammin'!! :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • swedeswede Posts: 558
    i love ya meddle... but.. well i havent heard any of their stuff but i know that in my view.. they have ruined every song they sing on when they come on with pj.. well corin does... :( sorry hun! just sayin my thoughts

stoked for ur passion for them though :)
    swede wrote:
    i love ya meddle... but.. well i havent heard any of their stuff but i know that in my view.. they have ruined every song they sing on when they come on with pj.. well corin does... :( sorry hun! just sayin my thoughts

stoked for ur passion for them though :)

that is okay Swede. Don't apologize, I know everyone isn't a fan of them,so it is understandable. I still love ya buddy! :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • eh i wouldn't judge SK just based on the songs they did with PJ, but I could see how they wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea...
  • CrazyMary17CrazyMary17 Posts: 22
    Anybody going to see them on tour? I'm going to be in Seattle on May 31 when they kick off the tour. I think I'm going to see them. THEY ROCK! I need to get the new album tonight.
    "If you guys wanna stick around we're willing to make this the longest Pearl Jam show that ever has been played" -EV, State College, PA, 5/3/03
    --
    5/3/03-State College
    7/12/03-Hershey
    10/1/04-Reading
    10/2/04-Toledo
    9/1/05- The Gorge
    7/22/06 & 7/23/06 THE GORGE!
    Tonight... WE ROCK THE GORGE!
  • I got into them after seeing them open during the Riot Act tour. Saw them last year at the 9:30 Club and plan on doing so again this summer. Great live band.
    I agree with whoever brought up Milkshakes 'N Honey, cool song. My faves are Light Rail Coyote and Good Things.
    "If you love someone... set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck it up." - Ed
  • shell bellshell bell Posts: 337
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    Congrats VictoryGin for getting tixs to the show...I know for sure you will enjoy them. Is this your first time seeing them?
    ~*~*~
    mongoloid-I went to the Filmore show last year, and man, I can't describe how awesome and amazing these girls where. I was at the front of the stage, on Janet's side, shit, that girl is unstoppable. She played drums for the opening band, Quasi, w/her ex-husband, and then several minutes later, she was still drumming for Sleater-Kinney, I don't know how that girl had the energy! She rocks in my book! The Warfield is a nice venue, but the only downfall is that you won't get a poster like at the Fillmore.:) Have fun at the show, shit, times like these, I wished I still live in CA, but i'll be there soon :D
    ~*~*
    My favorite Sleater-Kinney songs are:
    Anyonmous
    I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone
    Male Model
    Little Babies
    Oxygen
    Combat Rock
    One Beat
    Oh!

Quasi rocks hard.I suggest people check them out.
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
    I agree w/you Michelle. I think it is a great idea just to have 2 players in Quasi, b/c it really showcases their talents.:) I still need to get their albums too. So much stuff to get!!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
  • CateetoCateeto Posts: 377
    I'm really getting into these chicks and I can't wait to see them on June 16th! My friends say it will be a hell of a show! :D
    Cateeto wrote:
    I'm really getting into these chicks and I can't wait to see them on June 16th! My friends say it will be a hell of a show! :D

YEA another converter!!! Oh girl, your friend is RIGHT!!! Tell me how the show goes. These girls are pint size full of energy, one song after the other, and they make you want to dance :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~