Garageband

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited December 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Has anybody ever heard of the software "Garageband". I know it's for recording, but does it also act like a loop pedal as well? Does anybody have Garageband, and what do you think of it?

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jam10 wrote:
    Has anybody ever heard of the software "Garageband". I know it's for recording, but does it also act like a loop pedal as well? Does anybody have Garageband, and what do you think of it?

Thanks

I have it on my mac. It's very popular. I have next to no idea how to use it. Sorry I'm not much help
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • I believe all new Macs have it and I've heard it's great...but I've never actually used it...so I'm no more help than the last poster. I tried. :D
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • WESWES Posts: 168
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure garage band is mac exclusive and they have been putting in their computers the past few years. It's basically a recording program (very stripped down) and it includes a whole bunch of software instruments and synths, as well as the capability to run a mic to record guitar, vocals etc. I would strongly recommend a midi controller to be able to use the software instruments to their fullest.

To record "real" instruments with reasonable quality, you will need some sort of mixer and mic. I use a cheap berrhinger mixer and a condenser mic with phantom power and get reasonable results for demoing/experimenting.

Overall its pretty easy to use, and within a few hours you should be able to get the basics down.
  • It is mac exclusive and if you have one of the new iMacs or a Powerbook/Macbook or Macbook Pro they have an audio line in jack so you can use one of these: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/garagebandcables

I have one and it works great. The best thing is that there is no need to go through a mixer and then into your computer.
  • Check out http://www.garagespin.com. It's a DIY music site. I think I recall reading about Garagband there.
    10/96 Hartford, 9/98 Hartford, 7/03 Mansfield I, 9/04 Boston I, 5/06 Boston I (Best crowd to date)
  • Garageband is a lot of fun. While not as versatile as a lot of other programs, your creativity is the only real limit in making some fun combinations of sounds. It's got a decent size midi sound bank for a free (with any mac) program.
    As for the original question, there are quite a few guitar effects on there but it's pretty much for recording purposes. I wouldn't say it acts as an effects loop outside of that in any performance setting.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • potsy15 wrote:
    It is mac exclusive and if you have one of the new iMacs or a Powerbook/Macbook or Macbook Pro they have an audio line in jack so you can use one of these: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/garagebandcables

I have one and it works great. The best thing is that there is no need to go through a mixer and then into your computer.

Can I run all my effects and my amp into my computer with that cord w/o it exploding?
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • WESWES Posts: 168
    you should be able too. But it sounds way better when an amp is mic'd.
  • If you're looking for a program that is able to run in Windows, I strongly recommend "Reason".. it's made by the software design company "Propellerhead". I've seen Garageband, and Reason is definitely a couple steps ahead.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • I know some bands have actually recorded stuff specifically for 'Garageband'. I don't own a mac, but my sister loves them, she explained this to me about a year ago.

You download the specific GB song and you cna go in and change pretty much every separate aspect of the song. Make certain instruments louder, higher, I think you can actually change the instrument type.

I know nothing about recording, so never mind this if it's basically what you can do anyway, but yea.. She played some song with 2 guitars and drums, she changed one guitar to a violin and the drums to be more electric (the electric drum? idk). It was pretty cool.
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • monkaymonkay Posts: 40
    Didgidesgn's Pro Tool's is definately worth a look!! Its awsome!! Reasonably priced too. Get an mbox2!! Its the closest thing you'l get to pro recording for a small amount of cash!!
    http://www.myspace.com/funkymonkay

Please check out my bands website and give some of our song's a listen!!

http://www.myspace.com/dekolta

London Wembeley Arena 2000
    Reading Festival 2006
    London Wembeley Arena 2007
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    I've created three entire albums worth of songs using only Garageband. Please check it out:

https://zerofrequency.bandcamp.com/
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    I know some bands have actually recorded stuff specifically for 'Garageband'. I don't own a mac, but my sister loves them, she explained this to me about a year ago.

You download the specific GB song and you cna go in and change pretty much every separate aspect of the song. Make certain instruments louder, higher, I think you can actually change the instrument type.

I know nothing about recording, so never mind this if it's basically what you can do anyway, but yea.. She played some song with 2 guitars and drums, she changed one guitar to a violin and the drums to be more electric (the electric drum? idk). It was pretty cool.
    so do you know if its possible to strip the vocals off a  track then loop the instruments?

I wanna strip Ed's vocals off of I'm Still Here and loop the guitar to like an hours length. It feels very meditative to me
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Anyone have any suggestions on piano/keyboard or strings plugins for GB?