Microphones Suggestions

BogoENBogoEN Posts: 65
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
To get straight to the point;

I record at home, using a Boss BR864 (no longer made) recorder with an MXL 990 Condenser mic. The MXL line is good for beginners, but I am not as confident using the mic as I was a while ago. (I also wish my recorder was capable of 24 bit signal processing, but that's a different story...)

I was looking at maybe purchasing an Oktava mic, but wasn't sure. Any suggestions?

(I just play guitar and sing, no band)
"Winded is the sailor, drifting by the storm, wounded is the organ he left all bloodied on the shore...the smallest oceans still get Big Big waves..."

Postive thinking is the key, Postive doing is the door...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BogoEN wrote:
    To get straight to the point;

I record at home, using a Boss BR864 (no longer made) recorder with an MXL 990 Condenser mic. The MXL line is good for beginners, but I am not as confident using the mic as I was a while ago. (I also wish my recorder was capable of 24 bit signal processing, but that's a different story...)

I was looking at maybe purchasing an Oktava mic, but wasn't sure. Any suggestions?

(I just play guitar and sing, no band)

I use a beyerdynamic TGX60 for live.... if that helps :)
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    1. How much are you looking to spend.
    2. What are you using the mic to record voice, electric guitar, accoustic?
    3. What's your price range?
  • BogoENBogoEN Posts: 65
    IDgotI wrote:
    1. How much are you looking to spend.
    2. What are you using the mic to record voice, electric guitar, accoustic?
    3. What's your price range?

1. 500 or less
    2. Just micing Voice and Acoustic guitar.
    3. 500 or less
    "Winded is the sailor, drifting by the storm, wounded is the organ he left all bloodied on the shore...the smallest oceans still get Big Big waves..."

• E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Hmm... Here's an unorthodox suggestion that will take you a little over what you were looking to spend. Try getting an RNP or "Really Nice Preamp"... No Joke... Here's a link http://www.fmraudio.com/RNP8380.htm

That will run you $500 new, but you can often find them on ebay for about $50 less.

Then get an SM 57 or 58.

The reason for this approach is that this preamp will make a 57, 58, or anything else you plug into it sound amazing.

You'll also probably breathe new life into your MXL.

With a great preamp in place you'll also be in a good position to build on an amazing sonic foundation the next time you are ready to upgrade.

A great mic in a crappy mic pre won't sound much better than a crap mic would.

But, very often a mic that once sounded crappy plugged into an amazing mic pre will sound amazing.
  • ^ You literally can do no wrong with a properly miked SM 57 or 58.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    The link just takes me to the front page...?

Wait, I entered the sku...nice.

• BogoEN wrote:
    The link just takes me to the front page...?

Wait, I entered the sku...nice.

Sorry for the bad link there! No that mic just records some great tracks. We don't even run thru a real high dollar tube preamp either.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    If you currently plug your MXL mic straight into the Boss unit, then I highly recommend getting a better preamp for your system. The RNP is, indeed, a great purchase for the price. Most stand-alone recorders have TERRIBLE preamps, and cannot make the best of the mic you have. Those MXL mics can sound 99% as good as mics costing thousands of dollars, assuming you have a decent preamp. I know, I've used them.

I also agree that a Shure SM57 or SM58 will sound great recorded thru a good preamp, although I highly recommend using a pop filter with either mic. I'm currently recording an album with a lot of doubled vocals, and I use my Blue Baby Bottle for one track and an SM58 for the other.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    If you currently plug your MXL mic straight into the Boss unit, then I highly recommend getting a better preamp for your system. The RNP is, indeed, a great purchase for the price. Most stand-alone recorders have TERRIBLE preamps, and cannot make the best of the mic you have. Those MXL mics can sound 99% as good as mics costing thousands of dollars, assuming you have a decent preamp. I know, I've used them.

I also agree that a Shure SM57 or SM58 will sound great recorded thru a good preamp, although I highly recommend using a pop filter with either mic. I'm currently recording an album with a lot of doubled vocals, and I use my Blue Baby Bottle for one track and an SM58 for the other.
    I actually plug it into a Bheringer MIC100 Ultragain. Not by choice, but when i found out that Condensers like the 990 need phantom power, it made more sense than buying a $150 pure phantom power supply. It's not too bad, but the gain is way excessive.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited September 2020
    What is the chain for getting a mic amplified for live performances at home? Mic—>pre???—>zah???

There’s a lot out there on home recording, but I can’t find a thing on home performing. 

I’m getting my son a beginner’s mic (SM 48) for his School of Rock class, but I’m sure he’ll want to have “concerts” at home to show us what he’s working on. 

I used to just plug my old mic into my guitar amp, crank it, and use effects pedals with it and everything, but I think he actually wants to sound good and not just make a racket. 

Any help is appreciated. Though I’ll say that this is for a seven-year-old who’s trying out vocals for the first time, so keep that in mind.

Should I just buy a karaoke machine?
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    Does he have an opening band yet?
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

ed243421 said:
    Does he have an opening band yet?
    Muffed Punt
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I thought they changed their name to Resin?

Or Pikitis?
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

Trash Night?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Mic arrived. Still no idea what to do with it.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    dankind said:

Best bet is to pick up a small PA system with a multi input mixer. From there you can plug in your mic and instrument. Mixer vital to adjust levels of mic and instrument.
    www.cluthelee.com
    dankind said:

RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

dankind said:

Best bet is to pick up a small PA system with a multi input mixer. From there you can plug in your mic and instrument. Mixer vital to adjust levels of mic and instrument.
    Thanks, Chris.

PA system/multi-input mixer? I'm seeing too many dollar signs here. I think the kid will just have to practice without a mic at home.

I'll ask the School of Rock folks if they have any suggestions, too, but it's looking like this thing will just stay in the box when he's not using it for rehearsals/practice at the facility.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Thanks, Chris.

PA system/multi-input mixer? I'm seeing too many dollar signs here. I think the kid will just have to practice without a mic at home.

I'll ask the School of Rock folks if they have any suggestions, too, but it's looking like this thing will just stay in the box when he's not using it for rehearsals/practice at the facility.
    Wait a second. This looks like it might be all of that in one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B105D--behringer-b105d-50w-powered-monitor-speaker. And the price isn't too bad.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Thanks, Chris.

Wait a second. This looks like it might be all of that in one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B105D--behringer-b105d-50w-powered-monitor-speaker. And the price isn't too bad.
    All in one! Nice! 
    www.cluthelee.com