Options

Buying a guitar

porchdwellerporchdweller Posts: 228
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I want to buy a guitar. Just starting to play and am looking to spend around $200-300 on an acoustic. What are good brands or give some pointers on buying. I know I cant get a great one for that, but some pointers would help.

Thanx
"That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Solid Spruce Top is a must!
    PJ + AIC = LoveThemBones
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    1. don't buy a yamaha.
    2. beyond that, i don't know.
  • Options
    Try it out before you buy it. Make sure it feels OK in your hands, on your lap, etc. Just make sure you're comfortable with it. Depending on where you buy, you can get a decent acoustic for $200-$300. Epiphone makes a few models in that price range. The PR-350 is good, but make sure it's right for you. I like it, but you might or might not. Ovation has their Applause line that should fit in your price range, too. Fender should have a bunch of medels that are in that range, including acoustic-electric Stratacoustic and Telecoustic models based on the Strat and Tele electrics.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    definately get one with a solid top.

Some may call me crazy but I worked at Guitar Center for a while so I've seen many crappy units.

When you buy a cheap guitar throw all brand recognition out the window these guys get buy on brand name only their cheap guitars suck ass (this means you Martin,Takamine)

the main thing you need to look for is 1 the solid top and 2 quality tuning machines.

One of the best I've seen for the money is Mitchell sure they are cheap but look at the tuners (Grovers) the same tuners you'll find on high end Les Paul's. Quality tuning machines will help you keep the guitar in tune and by doing so train your ear correctly.

Also check out Carvin I believe they have a new acoustic line and Carvins usually come perfect from the factory which is rare in the guitar world.

Larraviee builds a great budget model as well as Taylor (Big Baby)
    Also the taylor 110 may be in your price range.

If I were you I'd look real hard at Taylor/Larraviee/Tacoma and if you are strapped Mitchell.

Happy Hunting.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Let us know what you end up with. Play everything.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.