Distortion pedal and Wah pedals

dan_alivedan_alive Posts: 123
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey guys (and that includes girls)

i've gotta make a decision on this 535Q... thing is, i'm loving the Chrome version.. but the one they got here at this online music store in Australia looks like it's the old chrome model with the pots on the base of the pedal...
do u think it's more trouble than it's worth?

or should I stick with the new standard black version...

as much as i want the chrome one, i'm currently without a job and may be swayed towards the black...

any words would probably help right now including "just fucken get the black one and stop being pretty about the look of ur pedal" hehehe

have a good one
dan.

========================================
previous post:
hey guys and girls

i'm looking for a distortion pedal that has some real balls but can also accomodate some Neil Young-type light balls...
and for the wah, i wanna wail at times but also have a jazzy soft wah sound too...

any ideas?

look fwd to hearing from yas :)

dan.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
"It is I, with the empty bladder!"

www.nowalletevolution.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Dunlop as the best Wahs, if ya wanna wail like MIke.
    Bowwowwow...yippie yo...yippie ye...bow wow...yippie yo...yippie ye...
    -Eddie Vedder
    (Blood, 7-5-03, Camden 1)
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    look at a dunlop 535Q wah. it's got an adjustable wah range that may be what you're looking for. it'll go from a very sharp, choppy wah to one that's quite wide. a good pedal. problems it has: needs 18V. the switch on mine has got flaky and i do not use it much at all. and it was never abused. i may have just got a bad one.
  • dan_alivedan_alive Posts: 123
    thanks guys, i will look into it very soon

• no no no no no. you guys got it all wrong- VOX makes the best wahs. i cant imagine life without mine. plus used by the greats: jimi, jimmy page....
    it rocks.
    THE ANSWER TO INFECTION IS HERE.

"Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all...nothing at all...nothing at all!" - Sexy Flanders
  • Im also after a wah pedal. So this post is also interesting for me. As for a good distortion, well i have a boss metal zone, dont be put off by the word 'metal' as there are many different tones you can get out of it, highly recommended pedal.
    'Fox hunting is barbaric, the people who do it are a bunch of snobby tories with stupid posh accents. Oh damn, i didn't say that - damn, what a giveaway...'
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Originally posted by nocode198
    Im also after a wah pedal. So this post is also interesting for me. As for a good distortion, well i have a boss metal zone, dont be put off by the word 'metal' as there are many different tones you can get out of it, highly recommended pedal.

You should send your metal zone in to Robert Keeley http://www.robertkeeley.com to have him mod it for you.

As for wah's I prefer Vox or Teese
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • for wah - dunlop 535q, lots of versatility

for distortion - ibanez ts-9, or a boss sd-1, i have those 2 and also a rat2 for heavier stuff
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Look at the Boss V-10 Wah, and the Akai Shred-O-Matic.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Geoffery Teese builds the best wah pedals in existance.

He manufactures the RMC Real McCoy brand of wah pedals.

he has been modding Vox and dunlop pedals to the original Thomas Organ Company specs and customising outputs to specific pickup configurations for many years now.

Other good wah's I like include the Vox picture wah,

Vox 847

Fulltone Clyde

Budda- Bud Wah- if you can get over the gay light purple.

Cry Baby- and its brethren

Morley Bad Horsie and Bad Horsie 2- the two has a contour so you can dial in more mids.

aparently the new Tech 21 Killer Wail sounds really good but it sucks the fat one for reliability

Also Snarling Dogs make a full line of creative Wah's

Happy hunting take your guitar and amplifier with you.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • thanks jammers.. i'll be looking into those.. the 535q sounds promising

• RMC or the Teese wah pedals! True Bypass! They sound great! I own the RMC2! Would have gotten the RMC3, but didn't want to keep on adjusting the insides! Once again, if your going to buy a pedal, get a boutique pedal! No Boss or Dunlop will cut it!
    PJ + AIC = LoveThemBones
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I've used Dunlop and Vox wahs, and I prefer the Vox by far. Morley also has some interesting units, but they have a certain character that takes some getting used to.

SRV had two Vox wahs side-by-side, duct-taped together, to be used as one unit. Just an interesting side-note.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    did he have giant feet like he had giant hands?

That's odd. but maybe he had them wired in stereo?

Vox 847's- between that and the Teese wah's essentially the same thing, my two favorites.

Currently I have a Morley simply because it does not pick up radio stations and I was younger when I bought it I don't really dig the tone or sweep of the Bad Horsie as I once did but I changed amps to orange so perhaps it has to do with having more mid's now since the Orange is essentially in the Plexi style family.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I think he just used it to get a hard-core wah sound...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    yeah I guess it would fatten it up a bit.
  • The standard Cry Baby Wah is great, too. I guess it all depends on what you want the thing to do for you. All I know is that I have the normal Cry Baby, and I love it. I do need to grease the thing, though. It sqeaks like a bastard now, but I guess there's a certain charm in that.
    I don't think you can go wrong with any Cry Baby model (well, maybe the Dimebag Darrell model), and I've heard good things about the Vox pedals, too. There's a reason those 2 have been around for 30+ years.
  • Teese Picture wah is cool! You can go wrong with any Teese!
    As for all out distortion, I like to use a good Marshall tube amp! I have a MJM Blues Devil, which I love. This gives me my blues tones and overdriven tones for rhythm and the right amount of compression, sustain, grit for leads. Its very transparent!
    PJ + AIC = LoveThemBones
  • I've got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe tube amp and I'm thinking staying with that for that organic drive... it'll do for my distorted needs hehe

As for the wahs, gotta try them out... will give the dunlops and vox ones a go soon.. need that money! If anyone has a job available for me in Melbourne please PM me hehe

• For a cheap distortion, get a rat or a turbo rat. Or get a modded one from robert keeley!
    PJ + AIC = LoveThemBones
  • You know I use Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 602 2x12 combo and crounch distortion from the amp is the best for me. lately I used Boss turbo distortion DS-2.

about wah:
    I love the GCB - 95. alternatively buy 535Q.
    greets from poland
  • You know... sitting here like a visually impaired monkey trying to write this fucken assignment is shitting me up the proverbial wall. Boring, meaningless bullshit twatcrap I tell ya... "employee selection".. fuck me for picking a completely uncreative business course to do at uni. only 3 subjects left but they feel years away..

what's more, i am on a creative high and we've got some beautiful days here in melbourne.. no no, i'm here sitting on this computer with only 480 out of 2500 words written for this paper due on thursday! aaaaargh

i wanna go out and try those goddamn effects pedals and start screaching and wah-ing and heating those lovely valves in my Fender Deluxe...

someone save me... save meeeeee

thanks for allowing me the chance to rant

• *bump*