Options

Stone's Fender Strat's sounding like acoustics

TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
anyone know how he makes them sound that way? plugged into an acoustic amp? acoustic stimulator pedal? how does he do it, he's the first guitarist I've seen do it
9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Simulator pedal. And I think he uses a Roland-modified Strat that helps, too.

I know Fishman and some others have piezo pick-up bridges for Strats that can get semi-acoustic tone.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    fishman powerbridge replacement bridges with integral piezo pickups. may have had an acoustic simulator pedal. i believe he used an SWR acoustic amp as well.

thank god he went to real taylor acoustics.
  • Options
    He had that Hamer Duo-Sonic for a while, too...

Yeah, amen to real acoustics. Although I'm pretty sure he still uses the Strat for Daughter.

Forgot about that SWR amp... he had that in the past, but not this tour.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    the duo sonic was killing me.

Mike's self professed favorite guitar is a classic Gibson hummingbird.

I knew they had to have heard of acoustic guitars before. I know stone likes the short actions. Finally the man plays a Taylor.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    I can't blame him, I love short action, too. I've actually thought of playing solo shows with my Tele direct in place of an acoustic-electric. But if you want the sound of an acoustic... use an acoustic.
  • Options
    townsend uses the powerbridges too. They sound good and are great from switching between acoustic and electric in mid song (flick a switch) you can warm the sound up a lot in different ways, but it was nice to see him bust out the taylor on softer stuff.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the powerbridges on the 2000 bootlegs made my ears bleed.
  • Options
    Do those wire up to a separate output jack, or are they through the original jack? I know Carvin made an electric with a semi-hollow body and a piezo in the bridge, had two output jacks, one for the magnetic pickups (electric sound) and one for the piezo (acoustic sound) so you could run the one into a DI and the other into a guitar amp. I suppose you could do the same with an A/B box.
  • Options
    You can get the power bridge in a few ways I think Carvin offers one with 2 jacks. The only really convincing one I've heard was a $4,000 Solid Spruce Parker. It was bad ass, but alas, it's a parker and therefore semi ugly also it's made to stand up and play. Also it was like 2 pounds. I really like to have a little substance in my guitars.

The parkers sound awesome.
  • Options
    I remember when Dave Navarro was playing Flys all the time... they always seemed like a good idea, but...

I would go with a high-end Fishman system in a Martin 000-1. The blender system (forget the actual name) always sounded so good. And the 000-1 is such a comfortable body shape and size.
  • Options
    Fishman blender (rare earth) is industry standard.

I saw a guy with a 55 dollar pop in duncan humbucker playing a $3,000 Larravie acoustic. It almost made me cry. I think I finally convinced him to get a decent condenser and mike it.
  • Options
    Yeah, you just don't use an electronic pickup in a guitar like that... especially a humbucking pop-in job.

Get a Shure KSM 27 and mic the sucker...
  • Options
    fishman bridge
    ...please stand by the shore