learned something new about my sparkle drive

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
dropping the gain to zero, cuts the tone out of the circuit and leaves a pure clean boost. well whadaya know. now i have a clean boost.

next time maybe i'll read the manual.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    holy crap dude. you didn't know that? You could have read the box and found that out. :)

Keeley mods the sparkle drive to TS-808 specs. The clean knob is un effected but it the overall sound is better so it improves the clean too.

I think the Clean boost sounds best on single coils, crank the volume and get just a little bit of grit, perfect.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    what can i say. i'm an idiot. i just didn't realize the tone dropped out.

i always used it for a distortion and blended in a bit of clean. i never zeroed the gain out before.
    didn't know the tone dropped out before but I don't own one either. How is the clean knob. Does it really give you a 2 amp feel or some semblence of it?

Why did you sell your Mesa? Why Why Why?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i sold my mesa b/c i'm an idiot.

i also don't actually read about my pedals when i buy them b/c i'm an idiot. at least i'm smart enough to return this damn ch-1 i bought that i decided i didn't like.

as a pure clean boost last night it was special. huge chunky sound out of the deluxe. it was swell. brightens things up too.

when you're just blending a bit of clean into the distortion, i find it restores some of the bass response lost with the 808-like thing.
    Dude. I gotta let you borrow my Rat

Anyway you can slam the front end of fenders just brings some kind of magic out of them especially with single coils. The clean boost helps you maintain that crisp fender bounce with just a bit of grit.

A guy from one of my favorite bands has a Davidson (custom strat with Duncan rails) into a TS-9 into a Vintage Rat strait to a 65 Vibrolux. The tone is absolutely heavenly. TS is basically a clean boost and the Rat is a huge volume boost (especially the Keeley) The TS warms up the Rat which is top bottom heavy and it's just perfect for blues or mountain funk southern rock kind of stuff.
    i hit one note last night that sounded like stevie ray. just one. but at least i hit it.
    Get your chorus and set it like a leslie, then play a few blues riffs hard and heavy with the clean boost. It will make you happy.

I think the Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus is going to be the one for me but Analog man has a cool one too but it's 225
    i have a rotary effect in my POD. don't laugh. i actually like it.

but i was doing the leslie thing with the microvibe last night. the clean boost brightened it back up just enough.

the CH-1 can't do it.
    yeah the CH-1 is crap.

I used to have a pod for about 3 days I bought it with the floorboard. When I realized it was awful through my amp because of some amp issue I had I had to return it. The pod is really cool sounds teriffic through a PA. The amp models don't sound exactly right but I like the rotary on it too. It's a great idea they just aren't quite there yet although the new Flextones with 2 amp models simultaneously are getting closer, a chip will never glow like a tube.

The rotary is cool though the clean boost is like turning the gain up on the leslie. Very cool.
    i run the 'tube preamp' and switch the 'AIR" off and use as a front end on the dry side of my deluxe. works like a hot damn.
    yeah lots of people use that same setup actually. Swear it sounds like a vintage twin. At the time I had a crap transitor amp and crap guitar. I used that money to get my Les Paul. When you work at a guitar store you can imagine the temptation.
    guy in a band here runs it as a front end on an old fender (shit, can't remember what) but it sounded great.

the les paul is a better bet. the PODs getting cheaper b/c the XT is out. haven't tried it though. I'm happy with mine.

i use the 'modern class A' (matchless chieftain) when i use it as a direct recording device.
    yeah you would dig my orange. Or a matchless Lightening
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    yeah you would dig my orange. Or a matchless Lightening

when that armoured car crashes into my house, i'm trying/getting one or the other. or reclaiming my blue angel.
    go for a mid 90's Matchless Cheiftan. Incredible.

yeah so the solo from heartbreaker just came on. Wow. Paige, he's pretty good.

I want a damn germanium Treble booster now.
    i can't justify spending anything more right now but you're right about the keeley java boost and comp being the sweetest out there.
    I can't buy anything either. I have 300 to pay on that recorder first and I've got to sell this crap on Ebay so I can buy a micro vibe.

That Java boost just sounds amazing, so versatile. Guys are doing fuzz face hendrix stuff to very Iommi sounding stuff on it.

I really kind of want one. Plus I know keeley beats the crap out of each design like with the compressor so when you get it it's right. That's why I like Keeley. Z vex is more innovative probably but Keeley stuff is built well and you get what you pay for with Robert.