i listened to all the 4ms pedals on their site

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
b/c i was thinking of ordering one of their kits to build for something to do.

but i couldn't find one that i liked enough to warrant building it. they're really cool pedals but i don't think i could ever find uses for the sounds in what i do.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    no kidding. I generate enough noise by myself.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i did a pretty good approximation of a siren using three distortion pedals and a phaser the other day. the key is the flaky make/break the kill switch in my tele does. weird feedback.
    hmm that might be cool. I am selling my PH-3, Dyna comp, maybe the little Dano phaser but it's basically worthless except to me, and probably my Bad Horsie Wah. With a kill switch the squeal at the top of the wah sweep could be cool. well if I had a band anyway.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i used to have a PH-3. didn't like it. love the phase 100 i have now.

how much you want for the dyna comp?
    it's cool but I want a vibe. I can't really use the 10 settings in the Ph-3. I really want a chorus and a trem now too. MXR is a cool company but they piss me off because they build the switches on the cheap ass boards to save money and they break all the time. Stupid Dunlop. To get my DC fixed its going to be 85 bucks they pedal didn't cost me but 50
    that sucks. i haven't popped my PH100 open yet. now i'm scared too.

somehow it should be that hard to fix unless the board itself is fucked.
    all the new dunlop MXR's are built on the board, fear not, it will probably not mess up, just don't jerk cables in and out or stress them, another good reason for your switch boxes. I still need a smooth compressor and I'd like a tube direct box but I also need an external sound card so I can show you guys my stuff.
    everyone puts the jacks on the boards. saves space i guess. really sucks ass though.

the jacks on my PH100 are tight as hell too. same with my 535Q. a dunlop trait it seems.
    you got a 535 cool. The Q is neat but you will find the one you like and not change it much. I want a more midrangey wah too. Hopefully I can find an E-bayer selling a Vox 847 modded by Keeley or something. I don't want to pay 180 for an RMC.

The new Hiwatt looks so cool but I'm afraid it is too "metal" for me the new HW stuff is built by fernandes.

either way I want something that looks cool, KWS has a crybaby in a copper housing.
    i've got a ratty vox wah that is just beat to shit too. it's just a re-issue though from 98 or so. i need to pull it apart and re-build it but it's not high on the list of priorities b/c i've got the 535Q and i don't use wah much anyway.
    the morley is cool but it squeals in the high end I'm sure I could correct it and change the sweep with a piece of electrical tape but I have no tools at the APT and I was building the new AV furnature this weekend.
    my boss and i were talking about the phenomenon of guys building a bunch of shit as soon as they've got a garage and/or basement. i didn't do much in my apartment but since i bought my house i've been the freakin' tool man.

i've decided that i'll order the boards for a microamp and a dynacomp from tonepad and build them myself for fun.
    microamp is a fet boost right?

There are several good designs I sugest not copying MXR search for JFet comps and boosts designs Analogman has a link from their new booster, I think this is it.

http://www.muzique.com/ look around it should be in there.

You can get really clean boost from it I think but it's still kind of edgey but not fuzzy and warm like a treble booster. really cool breakup for fenders I hear from Jfet/ mosfet stuff.

they dynacomp needs carbon comp resistors, metal film caps, and a bit of majic to be perfect.
    yeah, i just want a clean boost. i'll check out that link.
    I want a clean boost that won't breakup my amp just give me more clean headroom basically I want more watts but alas I live in an apartment.

Have you seen Jacques new compressor/volume booster?
    i dug around the jacques site the other day but not too in depth. i'll have another look.
    the headphone jack is actually a 20db boost.
    the list of things i want to do keeps growing

-build clean boost
    -build compressor of some sort
    -modify microvibe for an expression pedal
    -build a few loop bypass boxes
    -blah blah blah.