Powderfinger

By Neil Young..

Pretty Pretty song, I really don't know how I lived without it for so long,..

It's pretty clearly and vividly telling a story but anybody have ideas on the purpose or message of the story?
Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Look out, Mama,
    there's a white boat
    comin' up the river
    With a big red beacon,
    and a flag,
    and a man on the rail
    I think you'd better call John,
    'Cause it don't
    look like they're here
    to deliver the mail
    And it's less than a mile away
    I hope they didn't come to stay
    It's got numbers on the side
    and a gun
    And it's makin' big waves.

Daddy's gone,
    my brother's out hunting
    in the mountains
    Big John's been drinking
    since the river took Emmy-Lou
    So the powers that be
    left me here
    to do the thinkin'
    And I just turned twenty-two
    I was wonderin' what to do
    And the closer they got,
    The more those feelings grew.

Daddy's rifle in my hand
    felt reassurin'
    He told me,
    Red means run, son,
    numbers add up to nothin'
    But when the first shot
    hit the docks I saw it comin'
    Raised my rifle to my eye
    Never stopped to wonder why.
    Then I saw black,
    And my face splashed in the sky.

Shelter me from the powder
    and the finger
    Cover me with the thought
    that pulled the trigger
    Think of me
    as one you'd never figured
    Would fade away so young
    With so much left undone
    Remember me to my love,
    I know I'll miss her.

"Make our day"
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Powderfinger the band is much better. I like Neil Young and all, but check out these guys.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Powderfinger the band is much better. I like Neil Young and all, but check out these guys.
    mmhmm, right, there's a band better than Neil Young and Crazy Horse.. :rolleyes: :p

"Make our day"
  • mmhmm, right, there's a band better than Neil Young and Crazy Horse.. :rolleyes: :p

Yep, and they're name is PEARL JAM
    Oh he fills it up with the love of a girl...
  • I think the message of the song is mainly about dying young and standing up for your freedoms, even if it means death. I also have a feeling it's showing the flip side, how wrong it is to die young for a cause that is already lost or something. I'm probably wrong, cause I suck at deciphering meaning in anything.

Powderfinger are a really great band. (Australian too) Pearl Jam is easily my favourite band but Powderfinger are definitely a close second. Their music has a lot of mood and they are another set of greatly professional musicians. Check out the CD 'Double Allergic' if you're interested.
    "this one, anytime I say love if you wanna say love, uh, say it, and if you say it you might as well say it loud, and if you don't feel like sayin' it, don't say it, but if you feel it, certainly say it..."

NOTE: Everything I write in the P,P&M section are intended to be songs, not poetry.
  • I've actually heard a lot about the band Powderfinger but i've never heard a single song.. might have to check them out. *nods*

- That's the kind of interpretation I've been pondering too, but really I've been trying to figure out exactly what Neil's talking about with the imagery. What's this boat about? Where is this kid? etc.

"Make our day"
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I've actually heard a lot about the band Powderfinger but i've never heard a single song.. might have to check them out. *nods*

- That's the kind of interpretation I've been pondering too, but really I've been trying to figure out exactly what Neil's talking about with the imagery. What's this boat about? Where is this kid? etc.

I couldn't get into Powderfinger, but I bought the DVD "These Days" for someone as a pressie, and ended up keeping it, and it is VERY GOOD !!
    New music often makes more sense to me if I can see it being played, and some bands, eg PJ as well, are just so much better live than in the studio.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    One Night Lonely pressed to silver vinyl! Did you see that @Natashapearljamfan & @goldrush
    www.cluthelee.com
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    One Night Lonely pressed to silver vinyl! Did you see that @Natashapearljamfan & @goldrush
    Yes I did. Very exciting. Thanks for letting us know. I also believe @goldrush did too, he posted in the other Powderfinger thread 😃