Man of the Hour

dreamncolordreamncolor Posts: 380
i literally cried when i heard this song for the first time...then again when i first heard the benaroya performance......and really shed tears when i heard it live in boston. just toooooo beautiful............so hearfelt and emotional.

Man of the Hour

Tidal waves don't beg forgiveness
Crashed, then on their way
Father he enjoyed collisions; others walked away
A snowflake falls in May.
And the doors are open now as the bells are ringing out
Cause the man of the hour is taking his final bow
Goodbye for now.

Nature as its own religion; gospel from the land
Father ruled by long division, young men they pretend
Old men comprehend.

And the sky breaks at dawn shedding light upon this town
They'll all come around
Cause the man of the hour is taking his final bow
Goodbye for now.

And the road
The old man paved
The broken seams along the way
The rusted signs, left just for me
He was guiding me, love, his own way
Now the man of the hour is taking his final bow
As the curtain comes down
I feel that this is just goodbye for now
i'll ride the wave where it takes me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• heaveheave Posts: 159
    I love this song!!!!

the only thing that i don't like about the benaroya version is the feedback in the middle of it
  • i forgeti forget Posts: 281
    Much love for this song! I'm really glad that it's on their greatest hits.
  • heave wrote:
    I love this song!!!!

the only thing that i don't like about the benaroya version is the feedback in the middle of it

sure. but the fact that it was the first time they played it live...and we have a recording of it. *sighs*....feeedback or not....the energy/emotion given in that performance......brilliant.
  • I wasn't all that crazy about the song until I saw "Big Fish" and now I LOVE it!
    "Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid," Goethe said that.
  • AngusAngus Posts: 376
    One of my favourite Pearl Jam songs,
    and the fact that it is their youngest song makes me so happy.
    In theatres at the end of Big Fish I was like the only person staying on my seat until the song was over. People must have been looking strange at me, but I was enjoying every second of it. :)
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,604
    hearing it live at Benaroya for the first time was beyond magical. it made my eyes water. very special song to me.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • droptheleash2216droptheleash2216 Honesdale, PA Posts: 95
    I love that song, Big Fish was a great movie.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I didn't hear the song until Benaroya came out, and it was instantly my favourite on the record. It made me want to watch Big Fish, and now that's one of my favourite movies too. It absolutely blew me away!
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • i literally cried when i heard this song for the first time...

as the curtain comes down
    i feel that this is just
    goodbye for now

Same here, beautiful.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Same here, beautiful.

i lost my father at age 23.....4 months before my wedding day.....:( :( :(....just reading those last lines give me chills. ed is a master lyricist - no doubt.
  • i lost my father at age 23.....4 months before my wedding day.....:( :( :(....just reading those last lines give me chills. ed is a master lyricist - no doubt.

Sorry to hear that, I have my own associations with that song involving loss and You're right, those lyrics just hit you...beautiful...
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • yeah, those lyrics are so intense. They are obviously about a father, but it is so emotional that it conjures images of all of the people/things you've lost in life.

sorry about your dad dreamn...I never knew that.:(

awww thanks - no worries. why would you know? he was a very great man and father....i miss him terribly, even almost 13 years later. and you are absolutely right....the sense of loss is palpable for any within your life...thus why it is so touching.
  • This song is stunnining. I love Big Fish, and when Man Of The Hour comes on at the end, it's unbelievable. Suits the film perfectly
    "I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, i know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky."
  • Seeing as how I was there when my dad died, the scene where he was there for his dad made me cry a lot and then the song came on and brought even more tears. I've chosen not to watch that movie again.
    Power without Perception is virtually useless and therefore of no true value
  • Musically, when I first heard this song,I thought it was one of their best.....Lyrically, It was not as easy to understand....that was until I saw the movie Big Fish....for what the lyrics were written.....It is a perfect song for the meaning of that movie....the small tales that become legends in a family over the years between a father and a son.
    ".....this land is mine, this land is free
    i'll do what i want, but irresponsibly
    it's evolution baby...."
  • Great song. Ditto on the Benaroya comments too.

It was amazing how well it fit the movie, both in the relevance of the lyrics and the general tone. That whole funeral scene really tied the movie together, and this song made it all complete.

Between this and the Singles songs, PJ has done some great work for soundtracks. I am on a big Breath kick right now.
    "No time to be void or save up on life...
    You got to spend it all."
  • I actually saw big fish before i heard the benaroya version. when i heard ed's voice during the credits, it made me love the movie i had just seen, even more. such an epic movie, such a beautiful song. one of my favorites lyrically in a long time! thank you for this thread!
    "Sometimes you see a strange spot in the sky a human being that was given to fly"
    (or is it superman?)

"are you gonna bark all day little doggy? or are you gonna bite?" - I'll give you 3 guesses but the first 2 don't count!

"That love is all we know, is all we know of love"
  • LightYear wrote:
    Great song. Ditto on the Benaroya comments too.

It was amazing how well it fit the movie, both in the relevance of the lyrics and the general tone. That whole funeral scene really tied the movie together, and this song made it all complete.

Between this and the Singles songs, PJ has done some great work for soundtracks. I am on a big Breath kick right now.

all VERY true. this song is beyond poignant to me...for so many reasons and on many differing levels. one of the most touchingly heartfelt songs to me...........
  • Am I the only one who thinks that perhaps this may be Pearl Jam signing off and saying good bye to all the fans, as the Pearl Jam we know and love. The lyrics The man of the hour takes his final bow, for now. It's breaking my heart, please tell me I'm wrong. But I'm scared it is their final album. There are a few suss things, like a best of album, they are not contracted to do any more albums, and now these lyrics, oh god, someone tell me I'm wrong.
  • this song gives me a lump in my throat everytime its a beautiful song.
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....
  • Am I the only one who thinks that perhaps this may be Pearl Jam signing off and saying good bye to all the fans, as the Pearl Jam we know and love. The lyrics The man of the hour takes his final bow, for now. It's breaking my heart, please tell me I'm wrong. But I'm scared it is their final album. There are a few suss things, like a best of album, they are not contracted to do any more albums, and now these lyrics, oh god, someone tell me I'm wrong.

you're wrong.
    :D

honestly though...the song was written for the film big fish....so it's all about the story of that film. anyway - we've been told they are working on a new album...will tour next year....so don't be glum. pj is still alive and kickin'.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    this song gives me a lump in my throat everytime its a beautiful song.

*bump*

hope i get to hear it again live in canada. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Ashton 90Ashton 90 Posts: 8
    Very beautiful song.
    Don't you know there's something inside your head.
  • JASGMMEV wrote:
    I wasn't all that crazy about the song until I saw "Big Fish" and now I LOVE it!

I totally, totally agree with you. It threw a whole new meaning on it for me.
    *seems to me thats how things are, giving and taking little pink stars*
    Ashton 90 wrote:
    Very beautiful song.

yes.
    :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• i lost my father at age 23.....4 months before my wedding day.....:( :( :(....just reading those last lines give me chills. ed is a master lyricist - no doubt.

Same here. My father died when I was about 13 and I love Big Fish (makes me cry) and the song. I heard the song and immediatly had to learn to play it. It is still one of my favorite songs to play and listen to and Big Fish is one of my favorite movies.
  • paulhealeypaulhealey Posts: 27
    Man of The Hour, is an incredibly beautiful song, I love it so much. Being in Big Fish just makes it so much better. When I saw the movie, I did get really sad, it fit so perfectly. I also got really inspired by it. To have a song and movie fit so well, just made me want to go out and write something a fraction as beautiful.
    I Was Caught In Traffic!
    Same here. My father died when I was about 13 and I love Big Fish (makes me cry) and the song. I heard the song and immediatly had to learn to play it. It is still one of my favorite songs to play and listen to and Big Fish is one of my favorite movies.

i am truly sorry for your loss as well....i had at least a whole extra decade with my dad. :( i think such a loss makes this song in particular just that much more poignant. pearl jam has brought me to tears on many occasions, but this song in particular.....it absolutely goes right through me....lyrics, music....and especially how ed sings each line....all of it.....*chills*.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• i heard it the first time watching the movie Big Fish and it has been the fiirst time i cried watching a movie.. i love that song and for the same reason as norulebutthree and dreamncolor, it seems like it's talking right to me.. amazing.
    it's easy to confuse a great design with life's ripercussions

i'd rather die than give you control
  • HitchikerHitchiker Posts: 21
    i literally cried when i heard this song for the first time...then again when i first heard the benaroya performance......and really shed tears when i heard it live in boston. just toooooo beautiful............so hearfelt and emotional.

Man of the Hour

tidal waves don't beg forgiveness
    crash, then on their way
    father, he enjoyed collisions
    others walked away
    the snowflake falls in may
    and the doors are open now
    as the bells are ringing out
    cuz the man of the hour
    has taken his final bow
    goodbye for now
    nature has its own religion
    gospel from the land
    father ruled by long division
    young men, they pretend
    old men comprehend
    and the sky breaks at dawn
    shedding light upon this town
    we all come 'round
    cuz the man of the hour
    has taken his final bow
    goodbye for now
    and the road, the old men paved
    the broken seams along the way
    the rusted signs, they're just for me
    he was guiding me, love, his own way
    now the man of the hour
    has taken his final bow
    as the curtain comes down
    i feel that this is just
    goodbye for now

Yeh almost shed a tear as well but during Black when the crowd sings, i lost it......
    "we're friends, only because of my situation"

+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No. 41-+--+

" Nearly died...scared alive..."