Who You Are

whoYOUarewhoYOUare Posts: 274
ok, so i love the song (my name shows you that) but who else does? its often unappreciated, and looked over, but i really like it... any love? thanx
peace
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nocodernocoder Posts: 1
    Who you are is one of the greatest PJ songs in the catalog. From the time I heard the first notes, I loved it. It's one that I hope to hear every show that I go to.
  • don't you mean the song You Are from Riot Act, i'm pretty sure that's the one you're thinkin of
    If anyone has any good ideas for band names PM me cause me and my band are amazingly stuck for ideas. Darn that band Pearl Jam for having such a cool name
  • whoYOUarewhoYOUare Posts: 274
    don't you mean the song You Are from Riot Act, i'm pretty sure that's the one you're thinkin of

no i definately mean Who You Are, its off No Code, give it a listen you might like it
    peace
  • KCPJFanKCPJFan Posts: 58
    I absolutely love this song...always have....No Code is my divine savior album with my growing up years....very underappreciated, great to see it was recognized on their greatest hits.
    ".....this land is mine, this land is free
    i'll do what i want, but irresponsibly
    it's evolution baby...."
  • don't you mean the song You Are from Riot Act, i'm pretty sure that's the one you're thinkin of

I hope that was a joke
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    the first time I listened to No Code I listened to Who You Are at least 10 times before going on to In My Tree....Good call on this thread, I think its a sin that song doesnt get more love.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • culot4 wrote:
    the first time I listened to No Code I listened to Who You Are at least 10 times before going on to In My Tree....Good call on this thread, I think its a sin that song doesnt get more love.

Its because it doesnt get played live
  • MABMAB Posts: 17
    don't you mean the song You Are from Riot Act, i'm pretty sure that's the one you're thinkin of

That kinda pisses me off for some reason if you are serious
    North is to South what the clock is to time
    MAB wrote:
    That kinda pisses me off for some reason if you are serious

yea i was sorta offended by the ignorance of that one
    peace
  • DitkaDitka Posts: 7
    This song is in my top three- it is simply lovely, and the tempo and melody are a departure from more standard fare. Great vocal, great mood.
  • Ditka wrote:
    This song is in my top three- it is simply lovely, and the tempo and melody are a departure from more standard fare. Great vocal, great mood.
    mine too man.

theres a fabulous live version of this on http://www.theskyiscrape.com as well.

its a zinn song i believe.. something to meditate to. people rave about Jack's in my tree beat and forget this one.. definetly one of my favorites. nice simple little messages put into the chant too. Who are we?. . Who we are.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    im bringin this thread from the dead.....

one of my all time fav songs by pj......

great to play on guitar.!!!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • I wish they repeated "just a little time before we leave" part. that's the most beautiful part of the song in my opinion.
    everything has chains
    absolutely nothing's changed
    take my hand, not my picture
    spilled my tincture...
  • Come to send
    Not condescend
    Transcendental consequence
    Is to transcend, where we are
    Who are we? Who we are

Trampled moss on your souls
    Changes all, you're a part
    Seen it all, not at all
    Can't defend, fuck the man

Take me for a ride, Before we leave

Circumstance
    Clappin' hands
    Guidin' winds
    Happenstance
    Off the track, in the mud
    That's the moss, in the aforementioned verse

Just a little time, Before we leave

Stop light plays its part
    So I would say you've got a heart
    What's your part? Who you are
    You are who, who you are

Sorry, but I just had to post the lyrics
    Life reveals what is dealt through seasons
    Circle comes around each time
    thank you for resurecting this thread! it is absolutely one of my favorite songs, and i really hope they bring it back for this next batch of tours dates!
    peace
  • Absolutely love 'Who You Are'... Such a different sounding song from most of PJ's stuff... I'd love to hear it live!!!
    May '03 State College, PA
    July '03 Hershey, PA
    June '06 Pittsburgh, PA

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead...
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Who You Are fuckin' rocks!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
    thanx man!
    peace
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    anybody seriously think this wil lbe played live this tour???
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
    i sure hope so!
    peace
  • i hope it gets played on this tour, maybe as an opener???

i just cant wait for the boots, cause there aint a snowballs chance in hell of me getting 2 any of the shows
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • Born2JamBorn2Jam Posts: 255
    One of PJ's most uplifting, self appreciation songs.
    I love it.
    This is the song I turn to whenever I feel down on myself.
    It brings me right back to loving who I am.
    "This band has provided many people a soundtrack to their lives.." ~ CitizenRick
  • AndurilAnduril Posts: 56
    i didnt see this thread!!! Sorry, i accidentally started a new one, but it's kinda different!!!
    I am the end of all your dreams...
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited July 2022
    I’ve always loved this song, particularly Jack Irons drumming. On Sirius/XM today I heard that JI heard a Max Roach track and was blown away by it. He said he was always practicing and although he couldn’t do Max Roach, he came up with his own thing. He was playing it and then Stone sat down and started noodling on the guitar. Thus, the birth of the song. 

Very cool hearing this story. As a huge Mac Roach fan, this makes me somehow love this song even more. Was lucky enough to see it live twice in 2014 (Amsterdam and Moline).  Being this one back for Denver! 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on