Options

What DAW Do You Use?

lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,883
I have finally scraped together the money to get a laptop(Lenovo) dedicated to recording my music. I am wondering what DAW people use to record? I am PC only. In the past, I used Protools and it was just too much. I switched later to Reaper and it was okay. I am thinking of going with Presonus. I pretty much need a recording for dummies set up. I don't want to spend a ton of time trying to figure out how to do some simple multitrack recording. I usually get frustrated and stop for a while, then I forget how to use it. Old brain.
Anyone use Presonus Studio One?
1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
Nothing since then. I suck.
2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
2022- Oakland Night 2

Comments

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    I switched to Studio One about a year ago after using Cubase for years. Studio One is much more intuitive and it has more features than I will ever use.

I'm using a MacBook Pro and a Tascam Model 12 for recording and it easily handles a fully mic'd drum kit with additional tracks for bass, guitars and vocals.

FWIW, I don't do anything with midi or virtual instruments or plug ins. I also re-record takes with mistakes rather than try to edit them in the DAW.

So far, this setup has been really easy to learn and the sound quality is excellent. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,883
    Awesome. I feel like Presonus Studio One will be a bit more intuitive, like you said. I will most likely just re-record my mistakes until I can take the time to truly figure out editing. I tried editing my EZDrummer tracks with Reaper and I got really frustrated.
    I remember recording multiple tracks using two boomboxes back and forth, when I was in high school. Funny how those recordings are still actually not all that bad. I even used a padded seat and a drum stick for my drum tracks. =) Now, we have all of this amazing technology and I feel like I spend more time figuring out how to record than I do playing the songs.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,654
    Logic pro x
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006