NYC plan for Congestion Pricing- Charging for entering the city.

2»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    The "add toll" solution is so often a misguided way to solve a problem.  Look at CA 37 in the north San Francisco bay.  It almost always looks like this:
    California bill would convert Highway 37 to tolls to fund upgrades to  critical North Bay commute transportation link

The solution?  The want to add more lanes (a disaster for the estuaries there), and then add toll booths.  Is there even talk of increased bussing or putting in light rail.  Nope.  Everybody wants to drive alone.  Stupid.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204
    My son is moving to NYC in July. First big job out of college. This sound like a great place to visit…
    Where in the city?
    He’ll be living in midtown east, turtle bay neighborhood.
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204
    My son is moving to NYC in July. First big job out of college. This sound like a great place to visit…
    Not sure if you’re being sarcastic, but it is. 
    I’m joking. I can’t wait. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    edited May 2023
    It is awesome!!  I love living here. I can’t imagine living anywhere else. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    I thought they'd be charging everyone going into the city, but its just the cars right?
    How would they do it? Like a toll booth, or an express tag linked to a credit card or something? Anything other than an automated system when you drive through sounds like it'd just cause more traffic. 

They might be headed in California's direction. Tax everyone so much they want to leave, then try to tax them more for leaving. 
    From what I hear around here in California, the people who complain the most about taxes here- hard core right wing Republicans- are more prone to be those who are moving to places like Idaho and Montana.  I'm sorry for those states, but I'm not sorry to see those people leave.  Adios!

Oh, and I say this someone who, along with my wife, has an income that is just a little more than half the average in California.  I don't know what these people are bitching about... except that the right wing likes to bitch a lot about such things.
    We’ll California has one of the highest taxes. And from what I heard, they are now trying to tax you for moving out of the state. I think it’s a legitimate gripe. They tax you so much you don’t want to stay, then tax you for finding a better place to live.
    edited May 2023
    It’s dynamic pricing based on time of day/day of week implemented by cameras and transponder/sensors. Don’t have a transponder? No worries, a camera takes a picture of your plate and you get a bill in the mail, or more accurately, the registered owner of the vehicle. Bloomberg wanted this so it’s nothing new. Toll roads work the same way but London, Paris and other cities have had it in place to reduce traffic in the “downtown” core during the “rush” hours and encourage use of public transit.
    All the rolls I’ve used either charge more for the mail in bill, or only allow you to do it once or twice before there is a billing fee added. Curious if they’d be adding on $10 for everyone who doesn’t have the transponder with automatic payment.
    Granted I haven’t used very many, not enough to know if that’s the norm.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    New York City.  The City I love to hate keeps getting worse...

https://abc7ny.com/congestion-pricing-new-york-city-driving-business-district/13249550/

The City wants to start charging people up to $23 to enter lower Manhattan.

Why this is a dumb idea are too many reasons to list but I will give a few.

The GW bridge is already a disaster.  Because it is above 60th, the proposed area to pay to enter, will be so inundated with extra traffic now to avoid the area.  The Bronx and upper Manhattan will be gridlock all day long.

People don't like taking the trains anymore.  Too many inconsiderate people and too many transients on the subway.  Safety on subways is another concern.

We pay a toll to enter the city already.  We now will have to pay a surcharge on top of that.

NYC is notorious for wasting the funds that they have.  I do public works and see how top heavy management is and the lack of decision making people in charge have.  The bog of red tape you need to sift through in order to get approvals is another fine point the city has going for it.

If you keep building bigger buildings and have the transit system not upgraded I am not sure what the city expects people to do.  I guess more will want to work remotely?

Thoughts?
    What do you pay to park in Manhattan?
    I usually don't pay anything.  I am a drive in and drive out type or I put a vest in the window and park near the jobsite or on it.

Now if I do pay for parking? Which is very rare.  Usually $66 if I'm in a garage.  On the street it's free or you pay a few dollars for the meters.

So, this does impact what I specifically do.  No more popping into jobs or dropping tools and supplies off to my guys.  It's a train in and out then and the LIRR is like every hour during off peak so I lose time in my day if I miss a train by a minute.
    How do you navigate the alternate street side parking for street sweeping and the madness of the parking signs of loading zones, restricted hours, limits, free on Sundays, after X, etc.? You need a calendar to figure it out. So, how many parking tickets do you get and what do they run?
    Well I'm not an idiot so I understand how to read signs and know where to park.  It's not difficult.  Working in the city for the past 13 years has netted me 2 parking tickets and both spots we were told by other meter-maids to park there and we would be fine...

I am just one person that does this on occasion.  There are people that do this as a commute every day and they don't have problems navigating it either.
    Did I say you were either of those things, for fucks sake? I’ve stood waiting to cross a street or waiting for someone and have read a multitude of parking signs for where I was in NYC and by the time you decipher the conflicts between them, you realize you get to park there for 15 minutes on a Wednesday between 10:30 and 11:00 but only if Mars is rising and the moon is waning. I admit, I’m a retarded idiot that doesn’t know how to read.
    These signs are in place for people whom aren’t familiar with coming into the city so the pricing won’t bother them.

People like myself whom do the commute rather frequently is whom it bothers.

The questions you ask are for a tourist and not a regular commuter.
    brianlux said:
    The "add toll" solution is so often a misguided way to solve a problem.  Look at CA 37 in the north San Francisco bay.  It almost always looks like this:
    California bill would convert Highway 37 to tolls to fund upgrades to  critical North Bay commute transportation link

The solution?  The want to add more lanes (a disaster for the estuaries there), and then add toll booths.  Is there even talk of increased bussing or putting in light rail.  Nope.  Everybody wants to drive alone.  Stupid.

Austin did the same thing but it was a little too late.  They messed up that town if you live in the outskirts.

https://abc7ny.com/congestion-pricing-new-york-city-driving-business-district/13249550/

The GW bridge is already a disaster.  Because it is above 60th, the proposed area to pay to enter, will be so inundated with extra traffic now to avoid the area.  The Bronx and upper Manhattan will be gridlock all day long.

People don't like taking the trains anymore.  Too many inconsiderate people and too many transients on the subway.  Safety on subways is another concern.

We pay a toll to enter the city already.  We now will have to pay a surcharge on top of that.

NYC is notorious for wasting the funds that they have.  I do public works and see how top heavy management is and the lack of decision making people in charge have.  The bog of red tape you need to sift through in order to get approvals is another fine point the city has going for it.

If you keep building bigger buildings and have the transit system not upgraded I am not sure what the city expects people to do.  I guess more will want to work remotely?

Thoughts?
    I usually don't pay anything.  I am a drive in and drive out type or I put a vest in the window and park near the jobsite or on it.

Now if I do pay for parking? Which is very rare.  Usually $66 if I'm in a garage.  On the street it's free or you pay a few dollars for the meters.

So, this does impact what I specifically do.  No more popping into jobs or dropping tools and supplies off to my guys.  It's a train in and out then and the LIRR is like every hour during off peak so I lose time in my day if I miss a train by a minute.
    How do you navigate the alternate street side parking for street sweeping and the madness of the parking signs of loading zones, restricted hours, limits, free on Sundays, after X, etc.? You need a calendar to figure it out. So, how many parking tickets do you get and what do they run?
    Well I'm not an idiot so I understand how to read signs and know where to park.  It's not difficult.  Working in the city for the past 13 years has netted me 2 parking tickets and both spots we were told by other meter-maids to park there and we would be fine...

I am just one person that does this on occasion.  There are people that do this as a commute every day and they don't have problems navigating it either.
    Did I say you were either of those things, for fucks sake? I’ve stood waiting to cross a street or waiting for someone and have read a multitude of parking signs for where I was in NYC and by the time you decipher the conflicts between them, you realize you get to park there for 15 minutes on a Wednesday between 10:30 and 11:00 but only if Mars is rising and the moon is waning. I admit, I’m a retarded idiot that doesn’t know how to read.
    A lot of parking signs are way over complicated. I often am triple checking to make sure I’m okay.  
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    I thought they'd be charging everyone going into the city, but its just the cars right?
    How would they do it? Like a toll booth, or an express tag linked to a credit card or something? Anything other than an automated system when you drive through sounds like it'd just cause more traffic. 

They might be headed in California's direction. Tax everyone so much they want to leave, then try to tax them more for leaving. 
    From what I hear around here in California, the people who complain the most about taxes here- hard core right wing Republicans- are more prone to be those who are moving to places like Idaho and Montana.  I'm sorry for those states, but I'm not sorry to see those people leave.  Adios!

Oh, and I say this someone who, along with my wife, has an income that is just a little more than half the average in California.  I don't know what these people are bitching about... except that the right wing likes to bitch a lot about such things.
    We’ll California has one of the highest taxes. And from what I heard, they are now trying to tax you for moving out of the state. I think it’s a legitimate gripe. They tax you so much you don’t want to stay, then tax you for finding a better place to live.
    OK, let's clarify a couple of things:
    they are now trying to tax you for moving out of the state
    "Trying" is a key word.  It is being proposed, but has not been implemented.  Also, this proposed “Exit Tax” is part of the California wealth tax proposal wherein new rules are established for those individuals or businesses with over $30 million in assets for a tax year.*  I don't think that will affect a whole lot of people.  I don't know anyone with $30 mil per year in assets.
    They tax you so much you don’t want to stay
    No, actually, I do want to stay.  Especially as more hard right wingers exit.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    London has charges too and they expand in August to make working in there pointless for my son who is an electrician who's van isn't up to the standard they set.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    mace1229 said:

Thoughts?

A lot of parking signs are way over complicated. I often am triple checking to make sure I’m okay.  

Please check again…

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    edited May 2023
    mace1229 said:

Thoughts?

Please check again…

Maybe our resident non-idiot sign reader commuter could explaininate when it’s ok to park without getting a ticket or towed? Fuck it, I’m walking.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    mace1229 said:

Thoughts?

Please check again…

Several years ago (mid 80's), I had tickets to go see Talking Heads, Tom Tom Club, and Black Uhuru at the San Francisco Civic Auditorium.  I was with a friend in my car and we went to pick up another friend at their apartment in San Francisco. There was a stack of street/ parking signs on the street below their apartment- not as many as in your photo, but quite a few.  I studied the signs and they were confusing as hell.  I finally determined that I was good for the time it would take us to run up and get our other friends.  20 minutes later, we went back down to the street- car was gone.  Towing, parking fee, and vehicle storage totaled $200, mid-1980s dollars. 
    The show was terrific.  For that much money, it sure as hell better have been!

brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:

Thoughts?

Please check again…

Several years ago (mid 80's), I had tickets to go see Talking Heads, Tom Tom Club, and Black Uhuru at the San Francisco Civic Auditorium.  I was with a friend in my car and we went to pick up another friend at their apartment in San Francisco. There was a stack of street/ parking signs on the street below their apartment- not as many as in your photo, but quite a few.  I studied the signs and they were confusing as hell.  I finally determined that I was good for the time it would take us to run up and get our other friends.  20 minutes later, we went back down to the street- car was gone.  Towing, parking fee, and vehicle storage totaled $200, mid-1980s dollars. 
    The show was terrific.  For that much money, it sure as hell better have been!

Ouch, sounds like a great show.

now for a dangerous comment if on porch…those signs reminded me of the ever changing ticketing rules in the 10c.
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:

"Trying" is a key word.  It is being proposed, but has not been implemented.  Also, this proposed “Exit Tax” is part of the California wealth tax proposal wherein new rules are established for those individuals or businesses with over $30 million in assets for a tax year.*  I don't think that will affect a whole lot of people.  I don't know anyone with $30 mil per year in assets.

That’s the first to heard about the $30 million limit. If true, then you’re right, not going to affect many.

But California is doing something to drive everyone away. If not taxes, then what? Didn’t they have a decline in population for the first time in forever?
    mace1229 said:

Thoughts?

Please check again…

If I don’t have a child currently enrolled in a local school and are currently with me so I know for a fact it’s not a school day, I might risk it.
    edited May 2023
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:

That’s the first to heard about the $30 million limit. If true, then you’re right, not going to affect many.

But California is doing something to drive everyone away. If not taxes, then what? Didn’t they have a decline in population for the first time in forever?

To be honest, I am very skeptical about the claim that California's population is decreasing. My hunches about this are base on things I cannot prove, but this is what makes sense to me:

First, the 2020 census.  I worked for the Federal Government during the big 2000 Census.  It was a bid deal, it was well promoted, we were very efficient, and most people were willing to participate.  That was very likely a relatively accurate Census. 
    And then came the 2020 Census right as COVID was hitting us.  Though not involved in the 2020 Census, I do know it was a whole different scene.  My wife and I were interview by a Census taker and just before she left the Census worker thanked us for profusely participating, telling it was difficult to get people to participate, and she told us our answers represented several thousand (if I recall correctly, 10,000?) people.  I have to ask, what do we really know about all those (supposed?) thousands of people? Are they single or are they a family of 5?  I was shocked when she told us that.   So that right there is good reason to be skeptical.  (By the way, this is not to disparage the Census Bureau.  These folks just do the best they can with what they've got.)

Reason #2:  Parts of California are developing at a rate what for my experience as a resident of California for over 70 years (minus a few years here and there where I moved out of state), as something I haven't seen as widely or as large in terms of housing developments going on here in several decades.  If you drive up and down the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valley on Interstate 5, you will see some of what I mean- massive developments of houses packed right together.  Want to plant a garden?  Good luck with that little strip of land around your house.  They typically look like this:
    Too Close for Comfort Why Some Homes Are Built Only Feet Apart and What You Can Do About It

The same thing is happening with the land around Folsom- hundred upon hundreds of acres of open space that are becoming suburban area with close packed house.  The current Folsom projects include 30,000 new home with near future projections to 60,000.  And that's just small town Folsom!  These brand new neighborhoods go up practically overnight.  It's mind boggling.  The developments are massive and the are many.  The same is true of large areas outside of Elk Grove and other areas along U.S. 99.  And this is just North/Central California.  I hear some of the valleys areas of Southern California are seeing the same thing happen.

There is a lot of this going on here:
    Folsom CA adds new housing despite drought climate change  The Sacramento  Bee

I don't see how this adds up to a reduced population in California.

And I would add that all of this is yet another reason to be skeptical of what you read and hear today, especially on the internet and double especially on social media.

Post edited by brianlux on

edited May 2023
    One reason I completely believe the California decline is I haven’t seen anything to suggest otherwise. Every news source supports it, I haven’t seen a single one question the data.
    They aren’t just comparing the 2000 to 2020 census. They look at all sorts of data.
    People moving from California and other states is a big factor driving up housing everywhere. Knowing a few realtors, they’ve all said a big portion of their business are out of state cash clients. In state, non cash offers were being shut out of the market in some places. They just couldn’t compete with all the 20% over asking cash offers that were coming from out of starters.
    Moving trucks like uhaul had a shortage from an increased number of moves.
    All of that points to yes. People really are leaving California for more affordable states.

Post edited by mace1229 on
    mace1229 said:
    One reason I completely believe the California decline is I haven’t seen anything to suggest otherwise. Every news source supports it, I haven’t seen a single one question the data.
    They aren’t just comparing the 2000 to 2020 census. They look at all sorts of data.
    People moving from California and other states is a big factor driving up housing everywhere. Knowing a few realtors, they’ve all said a big portion of their business are out of state cash clients. In state, non cash offers were being shut out of the market in some places. They just couldn’t compete with all the 20% over asking cash offers that were coming from out of starters.
    All of that points to yes. People really are leaving California for more affordable states.

Well, I can't explain all the housing developments but I'll tell you what- if people really are leaving California in droves, great!

In the meantime, California's land mass is also in decline:
    Biden Administration Approves Two New Solar Farms in California Desert -  EcoWatch

Urban sprawl threatens more farmland warns climate group  2020-12-18   Agri-Pulse Communications Inc

Not great!!!

mace1229 said:

Still costs more to live in California than any other state other than hawaii, which has limited space. It wouldnt be that way without robust demand for housing.

People flee to Texas due to the cheaper cost of living,but often forget that you get what you pay for. Flooding rains don’t come every year, but when they do it’s worse in Texas. Same for bone chilling cold. With minimal regulation in Texas, they don’t spend on safety, don’t have much in the way of building codes or even safety in their infrastructure. “Well since it’s never cold in Texas, we don’t need to insulate our pipelines.” Except it does get cold once every ten years or so.

folks forget things like this, so they are drawn to the cheap prices.
    mace1229 said:

Still costs more to live in California than any other state other than hawaii, which has limited space. It wouldnt be that way without robust demand for housing.

People flee to Texas due to the cheaper cost of living,but often forget that you get what you pay for. Flooding rains don’t come every year, but when they do it’s worse in Texas. Same for bone chilling cold. With minimal regulation in Texas, they don’t spend on safety, don’t have much in the way of building codes or even safety in their infrastructure. “Well since it’s never cold in Texas, we don’t need to insulate our pipelines.” Except it does get cold once every ten years or so.

Not just cheaper priced. Traffic is a big one. People get tired of it taking an hour and half to drive 10 miles. My parents, and myself were born and raised Southern California. My parents finally moved out about 5 years ago, mostly for that reason. Being locked in at home for most of the day. You're only window to go outside your neighborhood was from about 10:00-200. This lived right off the 91 freeway in Riverside. Could literally take an hour and half to drive to my brother's house which was maybe 15 miles away.
    California was a beautiful state and I definitely miss parts of it. But there's lots of valid reasons to want to leave. Plenty of places that are far less expensive and without the traffic.
    mace1229 said:

Thoughts?

Please check again…

Maybe our resident non-idiot sign reader commuter could explaininate when it’s ok to park without getting a ticket or towed? Fuck it, I’m walking.
    lol, this has to be a joke.  I've never seen such stupidity in my life with this.

Obviously they don't want you parking there.

I'm still laughing at this.  hahahahaha!
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Not just cheaper priced. Traffic is a big one. People get tired of it taking an hour and half to drive 10 miles. My parents, and myself were born and raised Southern California. My parents finally moved out about 5 years ago, mostly for that reason. Being locked in at home for most of the day. You're only window to go outside your neighborhood was from about 10:00-200. This lived right off the 91 freeway in Riverside. Could literally take an hour and half to drive to my brother's house which was maybe 15 miles away.
    California was a beautiful state and I definitely miss parts of it. But there's lots of valid reasons to want to leave. Plenty of places that are far less expensive and without the traffic.
    I hear you as traffic is a beast on long Island, but not as bad as California. Better since the pandemic but as more companies insist on returning to office, it's getting bad again
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Ugh.  Riverside is the pits.  Lived in SoCal for 20 years and hated going to Riverside.
    Lived Downtown, in Brentwood, Costa Mesa, and the last 7 years in Marina del Rey.  That was a beautiful spot.  Traffic was horrendous,  but at least you could walk ir bike to other, beautiful, places

Riverside, you really are stuck.  Sort of desert scrub, nothing, place.  I was sort of sorry to leave MdR but would not have lasted a year in the 909.

The love he receives is the love that is saved