Signature Confirmation for Shipping Items

jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
I recently purchased a sealed copy of the Moline Vault release off of eBay. Yesterday, it was stolen off of my front steps, an hour before I got home (mail delivery times are not consistent at my house).

With prices we are paying for a lot of items (sold here or other sites) and the seemingly never ending issue with porch pirates, what’s the thought on using signature confirmations as a community best practice? I know I will no long sell or buy items over a certain value unless signature confirmation is used going forward.

Comments

• tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923
    In my novice opinion, it’s the seller’s responsibility to pack well and put it in the post. Anything after that is the buyers responsibility, you want signed for, insured etc then pay for it/agree terms with the seller. 

If I’m buying something of value, I’m always happy to throw in a bit extra for peace of mind .
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    File claim with your homeowners insurance. Call police, file report, submit report to your insurance.  Next time you buy see if you can have something shipped to work or hold at the P.O. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    edited March 2023
    I recently purchased a sealed copy of the Moline Vault release off of eBay. Yesterday, it was stolen off of my front steps, an hour before I got home (mail delivery times are not consistent at my house).

With prices we are paying for a lot of items (sold here or other sites) and the seemingly never ending issue with porch pirates, what’s the thought on using signature confirmations as a community best practice? I know I will no long sell or buy items over a certain value unless signature confirmation is used going forward.
    Are you sure it was stolen. There have been a few times where I have had something marked as delivered and it didn’t show up until a day to two later. Unless you caught someone on camera that may have happened to you. 
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,311
    GlowGirl said:

Are you sure it was stolen. There have been a few times where I have had something marked as delivered and it didn’t show up until a day to two later. Unless you caught someone on camera that may have happened to you. 
    Good point, GG. Happened to me, too.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited March 2023
    I even had a package that was marked delivered once and actually had a picture for proof. Only problem, the picture showed it was the wrong house. 
    Luckily I noticed pretty quickly, I called customer service and the driver went back to get it. But you never know.

But I agree with the first response. The seller is responsible for packing properly and getting it safely to the post office. If you don't have a safe porch for mail, that is on the buyer to communicate that and request extra services. 

Some people work at home, are retired or have family that is home during the day. I don't think we need to assume everyone wants to pay for the signature. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    File claim with your homeowners insurance. Call police, file report, submit report to your insurance.  Next time you buy see if you can have something shipped to work or hold at the P.O. 
    I would not do this. Chances are your deductible is more than the cost of a vault anyway, and you don't want insurance having a reason to raise rates when they don't even pay out anything. 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    I never have anything shipped to my residence. 
    Always to my work where there is always someone around to receive/sign from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Mon-Sat.
    No theft issues that way.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,449
    I never have anything shipped to my residence. 
    Always to my work where there is always someone around to receive/sign from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Mon-Sat.
    No theft issues that way.
    Also not having to worry about something being left in the weather. I had a copy of the De La Soul reissue left on my front porch during an all day rain storm. The box was delaminated and falling apart by the time I got home. Luckily the record was sealed in the plastic and turned out ok.
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    These days. I ALWAYS require signature confirmation. I just add it in the price. It covers everyone's asses and gives peace of mind. In the past, I haven't had too many problems, but once I did have a package delivered to the wrong address and the buyer was rightfully upset. It was a stressful few days, but it finally did show up at her address. It is worth the few extra bucks to do signature confirmation.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    edited March 2023
    GlowGirl said:

It was stolen. Confirmed with the mail carrier. I had had my mail on hold, but a mix-up with USPS caused the mail to be delivered earlier than expected (whole different issue I’m working with them on).

Anyways, appreciate the feedback everyone. 

As for having mail shipped to my work, as a government worker that’s a no-go. No personal mail can be sent/received to the office. Plus, all incoming mail is opened and inspected.

Going forward, I’m going to use/request signature confirmation on anything over $50. I guess spending or rolling the $2-3 cost for the service into the sale price is worth the extra peace of mind. Especially, items purchased through private sales or that cant easily be replaced.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Some places allow you to pick it up at a location, worth checking woth your ups usps fedex if the have a place things can ship to for pickup.

That sucks sorry, hope ut all works out.  I gond insurance is worthless most times as they never honor the price
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,173

I bought my wife a $1500 espresso machine for Christmas that was supposed to have signature confirmation via UPS. I got home thinking I’d missed the driver, but the package was there on my doorstep. I realized he just signed my name for me without my permission and months later, I now realize this is not uncommon with certain drivers. I am sure if something would’ve happened, I have a legit dispute, but point being, even signature confirmation is guaranteed.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    My ups driver will regularly scan our packages in as delivered hours before he actually drops them at the door.  I guess he’s trying to meet some type of time standard.  But it’s annoying because I get an email saying it’s delivered and the package won’t actually be here for hours.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

edited March 2023

I bought my wife a $1500 espresso machine for Christmas that was supposed to have signature confirmation via UPS. I got home thinking I’d missed the driver, but the package was there on my doorstep. I realized he just signed my name for me without my permission and months later, I now realize this is not uncommon with certain drivers. I am sure if something would’ve happened, I have a legit dispute, but point being, even signature confirmation is guaranteed.
    Same. Had a watch shipped away for repair. Is worth about $1000. Paid the extra money for signature confirmation, but they jhust signed it and left it. I complained to the post office. Of course they did nothing. They actually said it was th enew covid policy to sign for them. I asked why even have it as an option and charge me the $5 for it then? They couldn't tell me. 
    But I would assume if you pay for that service and they forge your signature, they assume all liability if something happens. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on