The LOVE Of The Band RUSH

Comments

• petted101petted101 Posts: 188
    Thank you both for your suggestions. I will give them ago one day soon.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I've tried, and I've tried, and I've tried to get into Rush. No success.....
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    petted101 said:
    I promiced my brother that i would, one day, listen to Rush. Where should I start, any recommendations?
    Listen to "Exit Stage Left"...live album

That gets you started

The opening trifecta of Spirt of Radio/Red Barch/YYZ is kickass
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    petted101 said:
    I promiced my brother that i would, one day, listen to Rush. Where should I start, any recommendations?
    Listen to "Exit Stage Left"...live album

That gets you started

The opening trifecta of Spirt of Radio/Red Barch/YYZ is kickass
    I’ll agree with this, ESL is my favorite live album of many that they’ve released. For me getting into Rush is best hearing or seeing them live, that was ALWAYS my attraction to the band. To the point that I saw them live 50 times since 84’ the Grace Under Pressure Tour. After ESL you could venture into Different Stages their best sound recording or the one most older folks like live All The Worlds A Stage. I hope you will enjoy.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,418
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited February 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    Oh yes Nandi B. is special. I posted over on A Moving Train in The Trains Lounge Car. I even posted where Alex saw that video and it brought him to tears. I also posted an image of her on the cover of Modern Drummer from last year a feat not easy to accomplish.That 11 year has that infectious smile that can light up and enegerize this world along with her playing. Oh I love what she says at the end of her playing of TS.

https://www.moderndrummer.com/store/modern-drummer-june-2021-issue-nandi-bushell-print/

peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

mickeyrat said:

I’ve seen this band RUSH 50 times and every time I would say, it’s amazing that these three guys can make such beautiful noise. Outstanding video and such a great song….my favorite lines from the song…..

All this machinery making modern music
    Can still be open-hearted
    Not so coldly charted, it's really just a question
    Of your honesty, yeah, your honesty

One likes to believe in the freedom of music
    But glittering prizes and endless compromises
    Shatter the illusion of integrity, YEAH!

Peace

YYZ was just released....

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    mickeyrat said:
    I just listened to the two Envy of None singles on Spotify. I like the tunes, a real departure from the Rush sound for sure. I believe the entire album will be released on April 8th. 
    mickeyrat said:
    I just listened to the two Envy of None singles on Spotify. I like the tunes, a real departure from the Rush sound for sure. I believe the entire album will be released on April 8th. 

its funny. its very synth heavy and he bristled at that for signals and gup etc...

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

its funny. its very synth heavy and he bristled at that for signals and gup etc...
    Different time, different band. He didn’t bristle at the keyboards as an instrument per se, he was merely finding it hard to find his place as a guitarist in Rush as Geddy was infusing more and more keyboard sounds into the songs. 

I think Peart said it best that you explore as a band and you go a little to far (Rush had become to “jazzy”) and then you correct it. Lifeson is challenging himself. It’s a lot better than doing a solo record with Edwin. 
    from about a month ago...

A couple guys critiquing Neil Elwood Peart drum solo. This one from the R30 World Tour in Frankfurt Germany.

https://youtu.be/wdQ39ttPRFo

I smile with admiration on the skills of this man on what he could play on them skins. Amazing. 

✌️ Rest in it.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Just stumbled on this. Alex was killing it! In the comments section, someone said it was the last song they ever performed. Fitting.

https://youtu.be/ndjCXG_c9kk
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    Just stumbled on this. Alex was killing it! In the comments section, someone said it was the last song they ever performed. Fitting.

Thanks man, I've never seen that video and that was totally awesome so rate. I'll pass it unto those who have never seen it. Such a heavy rocker and Alex is such an underrated lead guitarist. 

✌️

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I have just emerged from 3.5 hours in the youtube vortex. BOTH of these are great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNEIkDkqRJc

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    YYZ live videos always blow me away.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    Wobbie said:

Holy heck. I'm always singing that song on my into work.  Love it!! Can't beat old rush. Thanks
    Top 10 Smartest Rock Band Personnel Decisions,👏👌 Ranked.
    https://www.goldminemag.com/music-history/top-20-smartest-band-personnel-decisions-ranked

Guess Who was #1......NEP

✌️

• GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 398
    Anyone read Geddy Lee's book? I'm not a huge Rush fan but I enjoy reading autobiographies and thought this would be a good one

GB281198 said:
    Anyone read Geddy Lee's book? I'm not a huge Rush fan but I enjoy reading autobiographies and thought this would be a good one

Not yet but was going to buy it

• DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 593
    edited December 2023
    With Geddy’s new book out there was a segment on CBS Sunday Morning this past Sunday which was just awesome with Geddy and Alex. Got a look at just some of Geddy’s 350 strong Bass guitar collection. Some footage from childhood, when they met and up to today.

You should be able to stream that piece.

I can’t say enough good about Sunday Morning.

A typical week features about 1 minute of news and then an hour plus with h many stories about performing artists, actors etc. Enjoy!

And I’m not even a big Rush fan.
    Post edited by DJ253147 on
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Thanks for posting. Those who are not big Rush fans are missing out! Get to it! 

That cool CBS story is on you tube. 

• Cannot for the life of me figure out how the Atlantic 75 vinyl reissue series is devoid of the Rush Atlantic years.  An AP pressing of each of those would be facking phenomenal.