Record Store Day April 22nd release of Pearl Jam's Give Way on Vinyl & CD. Clear vinyl Up @ 10club!

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    10c 'limited' red/white yield sign version on vinyl? let it be written, let it be done?!
    Yes please!
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,354
    fl247556 said:
    17 tracks... whats songs is out ?
    Full set here: https://pearljam.com/tour/history/show/melbourne-park-20162

• euchrid said:
    Sirens4 said:
    says cd 4000 copies vinyl 15500, is that a lot for vinyl on rsd

It is less than the last couple PJ RSD releases. Alive was 18500 and Live on Two Legs was 20600
    You can still buy RSD-version of LO2L today, so I think those were two many copies.

interesting that this is labeled as a RSD-exclusive, not a RSD-first
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,147
    RSD first or Exclusive? But I guess it doesn't matter because Unplugged was exclusive and they ended up selling more later at retail
    I miss igotid88
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    igotid88 said:
    RSD first or Exclusive? But I guess it doesn't matter because Unplugged was exclusive and they ended up selling more later at retail
    Vinyl says exclusive. CD says first
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • euchrideuchrid Posts: 840
    igotid88 said:
    I think there was a shipping issue with Unplugged..so maybe that was the reason? Either way I believe the band will put up a clear or colored version up for sale along with the CD... and also look out for a poster :)
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I'm glad to get some advance notice so I will actually be able to purchase this before it sells out.  Sounds like a great set.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040
    Chinese government Alt Version

RP112579 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Vinyl says exclusive. CD says first
    Yea just saw after I posted
    I miss igotid88
    Record Store Day 2023 Release
     Following the 25th anniversary of Yield, Pearl Jam’s Give Way will be released as a part of Record Store Day 2023. This gatefold double LP comes from a live performance in Melbourne, Australia on March 5th, 1998. The legendary Give Way will be released for the first time ever. The 17-track album includes live versions of “Given To Fly,” “Faithfull,” and “Do The Evolution”.

Give Way will also be available on CD, a version of which was initially intended to be given out as a promotional item with each purchase of Single Video Theory in 1998. This never saw the light of day aside from an extremely limited amount which have resurfaced over the years...until now. The title Give Way is a nod to the Australian counterpart to the Yield sign of the United States.  

The Give Way Vinyl LP and CD will be available for purchase at your local indie record shop beginning Saturday, April 22nd. Look for an indie record store near you!
    RSD LOCATOR
    Or they could have done what was originally going to be done and package it with Yield 
    I miss igotid88
    Chinese government Alt Version

Lol
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 584
    Will wait to see if 10c offers a coloured variant. When did the gold variant ‘Live on Two Legs’ go on sale. Was it on Record Store Day, or was it the day after?
  • I believe this was going to be free at best buy when you bought single video theory.  I showed up early and got in line with about 15 other people and when they opened the door they told us there's no free cd to go along with it,  so they let us pick another cd for free.  Forgot all about that day until now. 
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    edited February 2023
    i've told this story a few times, but i worked at best buy in the music/movies/software department at the time, and we got the give way cds in the store a couple weeks before the promotion, which was giving a free copy of the give way cd to anyone that bought a vhs copy of single video theory. i did a lot of the sorting in the back room and could listen to music back there. i knew i was going to be buying the video, so i opened a copy that i would just then take home on the release date. so give way was in the player pretty much every day i was in the back- this was a couple years before pearl jam started releasing live shows, and yield was only six months old or so at this point so this was the first release that had any of those songs played live. a day or two before the release, my supervisor comes up to me and tells me i need to give the cd back, that the entire stock was going to be collected and destroyed and if we were short any copies the store was going to get fined a LOT.

apparently best buy didn't have permission from sony to do this promotion, which never made any sense to me at all- there's just no way best buy goes through all of this without one of the biggest band's and/or biggest label's knowledge and approval. plus the cd was professionally produced and is still the best sounding version of this show. i've always suspected that the decision for pearl jam to do live on two legs came after any agreement with best buy was made - single video theory was released in august 98 and pearl jam was smack in the middle of the yield tour and were recording these shows - and the band/sony decided there was more money to be made rather than giving away a free live show because someone bought a $15 video, and so best buy took the fall. because the give way cd had already been advertised and promised, best buy ended up having to give away any single cd of the customer's choosing if they bought single video theory.  even now, if you look at the archived news stories about the event, there's isn't a fully consistent story being told other than sony supposedly never approved it and they filed an injunction to prevent the distribution of the disc.
    Post edited by AndySlash on
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited February 2023
    15500 is a LOT of copies. Shouldn’t be too hard to snag one

The Rockfords RE at 2500 shouldn’t be too difficult either. It’s an “RSD First” anyway. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    AndySlash said:
    i've told this story a few times, but i worked at best buy in the music/movies/software department at the time, and we got the give way cds in the store a couple weeks before the promotion, which was giving a free copy of the give way cd to anyone that bought a vhs copy of single video theory. i did a lot of the sorting in the back room and could listen to music back there. i knew i was going to be buying the video, so i opened a copy that i would just then take home on the release date. so give way was in the player pretty much every day i was in the back- this was a couple years before pearl jam started releasing live shows, and yield was only six months old or so at this point so this was the first release that had any of those songs played live. a day or two before the release, my supervisor comes up to me and tells me i need to give the cd back, that the entire stock was going to be collected and destroyed and if we were short any copies the store was going to get fined a LOT.

apparently best buy didn't have permission from sony to do this promotion, which never made any sense to me at all- there's just no way best buy goes through all of this without one of the biggest band's and/or biggest label's knowledge and approval. plus the cd was professionally produced and is still the best sounding version of this show. i've always suspected that the decision for pearl jam to do live on two legs came after any agreement with best buy was made - single video theory was released in august 98 and pearl jam was smack in the middle of the yield tour and were recording these shows - and the band/sony decided there was more money to be made rather than giving away a free live show because someone bought a $15 video, and so best buy took the fall. because the give way cd had already been advertised and promised, best buy ended up having to give away any single cd of the customer's choosing if they bought single video theory.
    This is wild. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075
    I believe this was going to be free at best buy when you bought single video theory.  I showed up early and got in line with about 15 other people and when they opened the door they told us there's no free cd to go along with it,  so they let us pick another cd for free.  Forgot all about that day until now. 

Sweetheart of the Rodeo (The Byrds) was my consolation prize. Turned out to be an all time favorite album at least.
  • AndySlash said:

apparently best buy didn't have permission from sony to do this promotion, which never made any sense to me at all- there's just no way best buy goes through all of this without one of the biggest band's and/or biggest label's knowledge and approval. plus the cd was professionally produced and is still the best sounding version of this show. i've always suspected that the decision for pearl jam to do live on two legs came after any agreement with best buy was made - single video theory was released in august 98 and pearl jam was smack in the middle of the yield tour and were recording these shows - and the band/sony decided there was more money to be made rather than giving away a free live show because someone bought a $15 video, and so best buy took the fall. because the give way cd had already been advertised and promised, best buy ended up having to give away any single cd of the customer's choosing if they bought single video theory.  even now, if you look at the archived news stories about the event, there's isn't a fully consistent story being told other than sony supposedly never approved it and they filed an injunction to prevent the distribution of the disc.
    Amazing. Some executive was shit-canned for that (scapegoated) but because they were probably a “C-Suite executive” (term makes me gag… on LinkedIn it is always followed by “visionary” lmao) who didn’t have a problem landing a gig somewhere else or taking plenty of time to themselves after a huge severance package with a signed NDA. 

• treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,800
    This is a dream come true .love bootlegs 

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
    Rare Pearl Jam Live LP Getting First Official Release on Record Store Day
     ‘Give Way’ was taped in Melbourne in March 1998 but has never seen the light of day

A Pearl Jam live album taped in Melbourne at the start of the Yield tour in 1998 but scrapped days before its planned release later that year is finally seeing the light of day. Give Way will be released by Legacy Recordings on gatefold black double vinyl and CD as part of Record Store Day on April 22, featuring 17 tracks from the band’s March 5, 1998, show at Melbourne Park.

That performance was broadcast live on radio and the internet by JJJ and was widely bootlegged, but was later planned to be included as a free promotion to fans who purchased the Pearl Jam documentary Single Video Theory at Best Buy upon its early August 1998 release. At the last minute, Pearl Jam’s label Epic Records halted the release for unspecified reasons, prompting the destruction of nearly all of the 50,000 CD copies that had been pressed. One copy is currently selling for nearly $600 on Discogs.

Give Way, which nods to the Australian version of the American “yield” traffic sign, finds Pearl Jam five shows into its first tour in a year-and-a-half and just beginning to incorporate material from the month-old Yield into its set lists. It contains powerful versions of “Faithfull,” “Brain of J,” “MFC,” and “Given To Fly” from that album, plus older cuts such as “Hail, Hail,” “State of Love and Trust,” “Immortality,” “I Got ID,” “Corduroy” (with a country-specific tease of Midnight Oil’s “Beds Are Burning”), and “Animal.”

The full concert featured 25 songs, eight of which are omitted on Give Way. This was drummer Jack Irons’ final tour with Pearl Jam; his last show came 15 days later in Perth. He was replaced by Matt Cameron, who has drummed with Pearl Jam ever since and whose maiden tour with the group that summer was chronicled on another 1998 live album, Live on Two Legs.

edited February 2023

Pearl Jam

Give Way [RSD23]

Double LP Record Store Day
    £31.99

https://www.banquetrecords.com/pearl-jam/give-way-[rsd23]/19658762471

• JedJed New York City Posts: 1,134
    AndySlash said:

you didn't have a chance to burn a copy or copy it to tape or anything? That story is painful! More painful than the people who waited on line outside best buy and then didn't get it.
  • jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,488
    Will record stores reserve copies? (UK)
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    Jed said:
    you didn't have a chance to burn a copy or copy it to tape or anything? That story is painful! More painful than the people who waited on line outside best buy and then didn't get it.
    no, i had no warning this was going to happen so i didn't even consider making a copy- i just assumed i'd be bringing that same disc home. and i didn't even have a chance to copy it when i found out, i had to immediately hand over the one i had stashed in the sorting area when my supervisor came to tell me about it- she was normally pretty easy going but here she made it very clear i had no choice and no time. obviously not all best buy representatives were as diligent as her since copies made their way out into the marketplace, and that always stung. i also live in minneapolis where best buy is headquartered, and other local fans had found random copies in the used bins of the local shops over the years, but i was never so lucky. so i thought i would never see a physical copy again...

...until our friend on this board @pdalowsky sold me his copy a few months ago. it was a surreal feeling holding that cd in my hands once again, and i played it in my car for a few weeks after i got it. now it sits on my shelf, the elusive white whale finally brought to heel.

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    AndySlash said:

apparently best buy didn't have permission from sony to do this promotion, which never made any sense to me at all- there's just no way best buy goes through all of this without one of biggest band's and/or biggest label's knowledge and approval. plus the cd was professionally produced and is still the best sounding version of this show. i've always suspected that the decision for pearl jam to do live on two legs came after any agreement with best buy was made - single video theory was released in august 98 and pearl jam was smack in the middle of the yield tour and were recording these shows - and the band/sony decided there was more money to be made rather than giving away a free live show because someone bought a $15 video, and so best buy took the fall. because the give way cd had already been advertised and promised, best buy ended up having to give away any single cd of the customer's choosing if they bought single video theory.  even now, if you look at the archived news stories about the event, there's isn't a fully consistent story being told other than sony supposedly never approved it and they filed an injunction to prevent the distribution of the disc.
    The band never confirmed or denied but management negotiated directly with Best Buy so when Epic found out the cease and desist was fired off.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,354
    100 Pacer said:
    The band never confirmed or denied but management negotiated directly with Best Buy so when Epic found out the cease and desist was fired off.
    I heard that it was Stone...
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    10c 'limited' red/white yield sign version on vinyl? let it be written, let it be done?!
    Red White yes, but Yield logo on the vinyl? no, I think that would have to be a picture disc, and picture disc's aren't great for vinyl :(  I guess they could put the logo on the label in the middle :)
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Still one of my favorite boots of all time, This one sounds amazing on vinyl.  Too bad porch is cut short because this version is fire.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......