Jeff Beck RIP

Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
edited January 2023 in Other Music
This is extremely sad news. Jeff Beck was one of the great guitar innovators of all time. RIP.

"...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."

Comments

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,596
    Shoot. Rock on.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Crushed.  I have no words but...
    R.I.P. Jeff Beck.  What a massive talent.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 544
    Jeff Beck is your favorite guitar player's favorite guitar player.
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 398
    Sad news. I've always thought he was vastly under rated perhaps because he wasn't in a widely known band. Definitely one of a kind 
    GB281198 said:
    Sad news. I've always thought he was vastly under rated perhaps because he wasn't in a widely known band. Definitely one of a kind 

If under-rated, I would guess only by those who have never so much a picked up a guitar and tried to strum a chord. 
    I'm a bit surprised by the lack of response here to this news.
    Yes, definitely one of a kind of one of the very best.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

By under-rated I mean in popularity not ability. Guitarist like Hendrix, Page, or Clapton are more well known but imo Beck was as good or even better 
    GB281198 said:
    By under-rated I mean in popularity not ability. Guitarist like Hendrix, Page, or Clapton are more well known but imo Beck was as good or even better 

Yeah, so true GB.  And I don't pretend to know why for sure, but I suspect it could be similar to something I read about Nils Lofgren in a review on AllMusic for one of his records. The reviewer said (and I tend to agree though I totally respect both of these guys), that despite Lofgren being a better singer and certainly a better guitarist, he has never been a huge success like one of his musical bosses, "The Boss", Bruce Springteen, because Nils is not the extrovert with a strong ego that Springteen is.  That's no but down on Springteen (and the reviewer made that clear), but the truth is, in the world of music, the bigger egos often draw the most attention.
    In any case, as you no doubt know, talk to any musician, and you will get a ton of respect for Jeff Beck.  The man was a masterful talent.

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    Jeff Beck was a legend. RIP!
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    ZoSoTim said:
    Jeff Beck is your favorite guitar player's favorite guitar player.
    Absolutely true. What a loss to music!

I had no idea that the Spinal Tap character Nigel Tufnel was completely modeled after Jeff Beck, and Beck apparently knew this and got a real kick out of it. A British music journalist friend said that in his post about Beck's passing.

Rest in Power (Chords) Jeff Beck <3 
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    edited January 2023
    It all started around 1976. My guitar playing high school buddies had the records. Beck-ola, Wired, Blow by Blow got the most play. I liked those records but not as much as they did. I really did not truly appreciate his playing until I heard his music with the Yard Birds and Rod Stewart. I guess I prefer Jeff Beck with vocals. Pretty weird.

Had to see him live. Needed to witness him play. That turned out to be not so easy. According to Setlistfm between 1967 – 1988 only 181 concerts. My first show finally came in 1989 on his tour for Guitar Shop. That record and tour had Terry Bozzio on drums and Tony Hymas on everything else. Guitar Shop is my favorite of his instrumental records. The concert did not disappoint. Really amazing. Jeff opened. I remember him mostly front center edge of stage just playing the shit out of that guitar song after song. I had a great seat and view... on purpose. 16 rows back center. Did not realize it at the time but he had just the prior year changed to finger picking. And that’s what I mostly remember two hands all over that guitar sometimes at the speed of light, sometimes super slow and of course the wammy bar. Terry Bozzio just wailing away behind him on drums and Tony Hymas on the side with all the keyboards. 

Only time seeing Stevie Ray Vaughan. Maybe another time I can write about his set. I will mention Santana appeared for a couple encore songs with Stevie Ray. Which is the perfect segue for my next Jeff Beck concert.

The Chicago Theatre concert top three loudest ever for me. Ears rang for days! Feel the music x a billion!! 

couple others

This was going to be my first. Jeff was on the album and on the tour. He left the tour early on. I only got the Rod. 

I had a moment with the man

Well sadly the live experience is now history. Amazing memories remain though. Glad I was able to ride along for some of it. 

Post edited by edwho on

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

edwho said:
    It all started around 1976. My guitar playing high school buddies had the records. Beck-ola, Wired, Blow by Blow got the most play. I liked those records but not as much as they did. I really did not truly appreciate his playing until I heard his music with the Yard Birds and Rod Stewart. I guess I prefer Jeff Beck with vocals. Pretty weird.

Had to see him live. Needed to witness him play. That turned out to be not so easy. According to Setlistfm between 1967 – 1988 only 181 concerts. My first show finally came in 1989 on his tour for Guitar Shop. That record and tour had Terry Bozzio on drums and Tony Hymas on everything else. Guitar Shop is my favorite of his instrumental records. The concert did not disappoint. Really amazing. Jeff opened. I remember him mostly front center edge of stage just playing the shit out of that guitar song after song. I had a great seat and view... on purpose. 16 rows back center. Did not realize it at the time but he had just the prior year changed to finger picking. And that’s what I mostly remember two hands all over that guitar sometimes at the speed of light, sometimes super slow and of course the wammy bar. Terry Bozzio just wailing away behind him on drums and Tony Hymas on the side with all the keyboards. 

Only time seeing Stevie Ray Vaughan. Maybe another time I can write about his set. I will mention Santana appeared for a couple encore songs with Stevie Ray. Which is the perfect segue for my next Jeff Beck concert.

The Chicago Theatre concert top three loudest ever for me. Ears rang for days! Feel the music x a billion!! 

couple others

This was going to be my first. Jeff was on the album and on the tour. He left the tour early on. I only got the Rod. 

Well sadly the live experience is now history. Amazing memories remain though. Glad I was able to ride along for some of it. 

That must have been some amazing shows with some of the greatest guitarists of all time. Beck, SRV, Santana, and BB all fantastic!
    edited January 2023
    GB281198 said:
    That must have been some amazing shows with some of the greatest guitarists of all time. Beck, SRV, Santana, and BB all fantastic!

Yes, his great taste in tour mates, and my good sense to get in front of it. 

++++

July 28, 2007 Bridgeview, Illinois Crossroads Guitar Festival Eric Clapton, Bill Murray, Robbie Robertson, Los Lobos, Jeff Beck, Derek Trucks, Steve Winwood, Sheryl Crow, Vince Gill, Albert Lee, Buddy Guy, Hubert Sumlin, B.B. King, John Mayer, Robert Cray, Jimmie Vaughan

Post edited by edwho on

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

edwho said:

couple others

Amazing, LOVE seeing the ticket stubs!

I'm both thrilled at the idea of all these shows and also envious as all hell.  But I particularly am filled with envy for that Jeff Beck/Stevie Ray Vaughn show. Just........ so much wow. 

Thanks for even naming that these shows happened, I'm happier just imagining the effects on the time-space continuum that all of this music even got played, ever, even if I wasn't there.  <3

Did you tell the story of getting his signature? Did you meet him a few times? What was he like?
    edited January 2023
    JH6056 said:

I'm both thrilled at the idea of all these shows and also envious as all hell.  But I particularly am filled with envy for that Jeff Beck/Stevie Ray Vaughn show. Just........ so much wow. 

Thanks for even naming that these shows happened, I'm happier just imagining the effects on the time-space continuum that all of this music even got played, ever, even if I wasn't there.  <3

Did you tell the story of getting his signature? Did you meet him a few times? What was he like?
    careful, I don't need much encouragement  =) I could bore you for hours. That's usually what I say to people waiting in line with me. Anyway happy to share and others get something out of it makes it worth the effort. Thank you for the kind reply. 

youtube has a full Jeff Beck set from that tour. Includes encore song with Beck and SRV. I guess the nights Beck headlined SRV stayed for one more. Lucky fans for that. 

So Jeffs auto…

Nothing impressive I warn. I am just a music fan. Especially a live music fan. Driven to see all I can. Just going along for the ride as a fan of the music and the musicians who make it.  A quest for the live version. The ultimate live version, ultimate players. I am happiest somewhere in a music venue crowd with like fans, friends and family. Attend solo sometimes. No matter. 

I have this cool concert poster complete with few lovely staple holes. My only Jeff Beck poster. A promo from the tour with Santana. In Spanish. It’s a Bill Graham Presents utility pole jobber. Saw it on my way to work one day in San Jose 1995 promoting one of the upcoming concerts. Of course, I hit the brakes and appropriated it. Great score and I still made it in time for work. After the concert I was thinking it would be great if I could get both artists autograph. Got the Carlos Santana autograph right away. He did a signing at Virgin Records - San Francisco once that I was able to attend. He’s a poster collector too and had never seen this one asking the guy behind him to make a note. He happily he signed mine. Thank you Carlos. One down…

Moment with Jeff Beck happened on his way backstage at the Chicago Theatre - March 10, 2001. He unfortunately declined to sign the poster. No reason given or asked for. Disappointed but not unexpected. Was not upsetting, I had backup. I also had that CD jacket with me and he fortunately signed that. I left totally happy. I have some pictures around here somewhere, have not been able to locate so far. Will post if / when I find them. 

Post edited by edwho on

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

edited January 2023
    edwho said:
    JH6056 said:

careful, I don't need much encouragement  =) I could bore you for hours. That's usually what I say to people waiting in line with me. Anyway happy to share and others get something out of it makes it worth the effort. Thank you for the kind reply. 

youtube has a full Jeff Beck set from that tour. Includes encore song with Beck and SRV. I guess the nights Beck headlined SRV stayed for one more. Lucky fans for that. 

So Jeffs auto…

Nothing impressive I warn. I am just a music fan. Especially a live music fan. Driven to see all I can. Just going along for the ride as a fan of the music and the musicians who make it.  A quest for the live version. The ultimate live version, ultimate players. I am happiest somewhere in a music venue crowd with like fans, friends and family. Attend solo sometimes. No matter. 

I have this cool concert poster complete with few lovely staple holes. My only Jeff Beck poster. A promo from the tour with Santana. In Spanish. It’s a Bill Graham Presents utility pole jobber. Saw it on my way to work one day in San Jose 1995 promoting one of the upcoming concerts. Of course, I hit the brakes and appropriated it. Great score and I still made it in time for work. After the concert I was thinking it would be great if I could get both artists autograph. Got the Carlos Santana autograph right away. He did a signing at Virgin Records - San Francisco once that I was able to attend. He’s a poster collector too and had never seen this one asking the guy behind him to make a note. He happily he signed mine. Thank you Carlos. One down…

Moment with Jeff Beck happened on his way backstage at the Chicago Theatre - March 10, 2001. He unfortunately declined to sign the poster. No reason given or asked for. Disappointed but not unexpected. Was not upsetting, I had backup. I also had that CD jacket with me and he fortunately signed that. I left totally happy. I have some pictures around here somewhere, have not been able to locate so far. Will post if / when I find them. 

That is indeed a very cool poster! Extra cool that it's for a California show, and also in Spanish!

But wait, JB declined to sign your poster but did sign your Jeff Beck cd sleeve in the same encounter?  Do you think it's because Santana's name is above his on the poster, or why in the world.... But you already said you didn't ask why and were not concerned, so I get that. It's just so odd and curious!

In other news re: the band this website is about, if you were in/near San Jose in '95, did you see PJ at the Spartan stadium in San Jose? I think that's what it was called... Had Ben Harper and the Fastbacks opening?  If you were there, so was I. Phenomenal show!
    Post edited by JH6056 on
    JH6056 said:
    edwho said:
    JH6056 said:

So Jeffs auto…

That is indeed a very cool poster! Extra cool that it's for a California show, and also in Spanish!

But wait, JB declined to sign your poster but did sign your Jeff Beck cd sleeve in the same encounter?  Do you think it's because Santana's name is above his on the poster, or why in the world.... But you already said you didn't ask why and were not concerned, so I get that. It's just so odd and curious!

In other news re: the band this website is about, if you were in/near San Jose in '95, did you see PJ at the Spartan stadium in San Jose? I think that's what it was called... Had Ben Harper and the Fastbacks opening?  If you were there, so was I. Phenomenal show!
    What you suggest definitely crossed my mind. But, I don't think that's the case here. I brought his current CD as a backup because I have learned over the years that some artist simply refuse to sign older memorabilia. They will sign current stuff though. To save the artist embarrassment someone with them usually mentions this before hand. Or is close by - pointing this one, not that one - kind of thing. In my experience bands like Aerosmith are super fan friendly and will happily sign anything and everything. Metallica members will sign anything, but date every signature. Some won't sign anything. You never know. As a fan win some lose some all good. Totally happy with my JB sig over his greasy hand. Holy Grail poster wipeout. Its ok. Lived to tell the tale. 

Yes, I was at PJ San Jose 1995. Stadium a few mile from home, down the street from work. Not far from the Cactus Club that hosted bands like Alice in Chains, Mother Love Bone, Nirvana. This was the makeup show for Golden Gate Park where poor ED was pretty much doa sick but gave it a go anyway... sadly only had 7 songs in him. Spartan Stadium redo 4 months later. Remember an early morning food fight in line cold spaghetti in my hair. A well EV solo opener (Dead Man), maybe my first of many Fastback openers, my first Ben Harper live set. Liked it, looked forward to more in the future. Despite Ed's vocals not the best I thought PJ set was excellent. The set list was excellent, remember Vitalogy wasn't even a year old. Super long show for that time. Relived it all the time with the bootleg from Monkey Wrench Radio that local radio station made and handed out.

So, my Santana / Jeff Beck show was between PJ SF and SJ. The Santana / Jeff Beck pairing played Sacramento, Concord and Mountain View. All a short drive for me. I was good with Concord. 1995 really a great year for concerts!

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    The tribute to Ronnie Lane was insane @ MSG forget the year! Jeff Beck, Clapton and Page insane show I couldn’t tell you who was better but the magic was there that night! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    edwho said:
    JH6056 said:
    edwho said:
    JH6056 said:

So Jeffs auto…

What you suggest definitely crossed my mind. But, I don't think that's the case here. I brought his current CD as a backup because I have learned over the years that some artist simply refuse to sign older memorabilia. They will sign current stuff though. To save the artist embarrassment someone with them usually mentions this before hand. Or is close by - pointing this one, not that one - kind of thing. In my experience bands like Aerosmith are super fan friendly and will happily sign anything and everything. Metallica members will sign anything, but date every signature. Some won't sign anything. You never know. As a fan win some lose some all good. Totally happy with my JB sig over his greasy hand. Holy Grail poster wipeout. Its ok. Lived to tell the tale. 

Yes, I was at PJ San Jose 1995. Stadium a few mile from home, down the street from work. Not far from the Cactus Club that hosted bands like Alice in Chains, Mother Love Bone, Nirvana. This was the makeup show for Golden Gate Park where poor ED was pretty much doa sick but gave it a go anyway... sadly only had 7 songs in him. Spartan Stadium redo 4 months later. Remember an early morning food fight in line cold spaghetti in my hair. A well EV solo opener (Dead Man), maybe my first of many Fastback openers, my first Ben Harper live set. Liked it, looked forward to more in the future. Despite Ed's vocals not the best I thought PJ set was excellent. The set list was excellent, remember Vitalogy wasn't even a year old. Super long show for that time. Relived it all the time with the bootleg from Monkey Wrench Radio that local radio station made and handed out.

So, my Santana / Jeff Beck show was between PJ SF and SJ. The Santana / Jeff Beck pairing played Sacramento, Concord and Mountain View. All a short drive for me. I was good with Concord. 1995 really a great year for concerts!
    So on the Cactus Club, did you see those bands there? If you did, wow, what a run! Alice In Chains, Mother Love Bone AND Nirvana? Amazing!

Cool on the rest of what you said, makes sense. I have met a lot of my heroes but I'm not an autograph person, so I don't know much about the dynamics with that. I do know that as you said, different bands or different individuals have different attitudes to fan interactions, so what you said is another angle of that for sure.

Yes, 1995 and 1998 were particularly outrageously great years for concerts in my book. Though really, all of the 90s... wait, also all of the 80s... f'ing fantastic from a live music point of view!
    The tribute to Ronnie Lane was insane @ MSG forget the year! Jeff Beck, Clapton and Page insane show I couldn’t tell you who was better but the magic was there that night! 
    That sounds crazy! Were they all onstage together the whole time, or they did individual sets and like a jam at the end?
    edited January 2023

Led Zeppelin with Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page…almost happened

from 1977 Jimmy Page interview with Dave Schulps / Trouser Press

Page mentions ‘original Led Zeppelin’ answering a different question so next question to Page

“What original Led Zeppelin?”

JP: we were going to form a group called Led Zeppelin at the time of “Beck’s Bolero” sessions with the lineup from the session. It was going to be me and Beck on guitars, Moon on drums, maybe Nicky Hopkins on piano. The only one from the session who wasn’t going to be in it was Jonesy, who had played bass. Instead, Moon suggested we bring in Entwistle as bassist and lead singer as well, but after some discussion we decided to use another singer. The first choice was Stevie Winwood, but it was decided the he was too heavily committed to traffic at the time and probably wouldn’t be too interested. Next, we thought of Stevie Marriott. He was approached and seemed to be full of glee about it. A message came from the business side of Marriott, though which said “How would you like to play guitar with broken fingers? You will be if you don’t stay away from Stevie. After that, the idea sort of fell apart. We just said, Let’s forget about whole thing, quick.” Instead of being more positive about it and looking for another singer, we just let it slip by. Then the Who began a tour, the Yardbirds began a tour and that was it. Remembering that session when we did “Bolero,” the band seemed to be almost tied up, it was really close to happening.

Post edited by edwho on

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

JH6056 said:
    That sounds crazy! Were they all onstage together the whole time, or they did individual sets and like a jam at the end?
    Individual sets and jam at the end of show! 
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    It was 1983

Picture
    Amazing! Charlie Watts too, wow!

JOEJOEJOE said:
    It was 1983

Picture
    Damn I had forgotten how many great musicians were on that bill 
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    It was 1983

Picture
    Difficult to believe it was almost 40 years ago!
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    It was 1983

Picture
    Unreal I know of 4 of my friends who attended the show with me that are no longe alive 
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    It was 1983

Picture
    Unreal I know of 4 of my friends who attended the show with me that are no longe alive 
    Sorry to hear that!