PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    This is quite the night 
    What a set!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

Pretty cool.  Never really watched 6abc...wife puts the today show on in the morning and I've always preferred the NBC national news to others, so NBC would typically be on in our house, to my MIL's chagrin.  Channel 6 was the soundtrack to her life...every TV she sat down in front of would immediate go to channel 6.
    That was really emotional. My family was always Channel 6 and I influenced Signora Abruzzo to switch from one of the other ones so it's always on in our house. Plus it's got Jeopardy!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited December 2022
    That was really emotional. My family was always Channel 6 and I influenced Signora Abruzzo to switch from one of the other ones so it's always on in our house. Plus it's got Jeopardy!
    Yep. Channel 6 was always what we've watched too. Nowadays it's not like I watch it every day but there is a unique Philadelphia area familiarity of knowing I can tune in at 6 and 11 and see the same guy read the news who has literally always read the news that makes you feel at home. It's corny but I'm gonna miss him. Fitting for him to go out when the top story is prep for a big storm too. Classic Action News! 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Yep. Channel 6 was always what we've watched too. Nowadays it's not like I watch it every day but there is a unique Philadelphia area familiarity of knowing I can tune in at 6 and 11 and see the same guy read the news who has literally always read the news that makes you feel at home. It's corny but I'm gonna miss him. Fitting for him to go out when the top story is prep for a big storm too. Classic Action News! 

Channel 6 was our go to station for news when I was growing up.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Kimbrell agrees to 1 year, $10 million deal with the Phills.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    Kimbrell agrees to 1 year, $10 million deal with the Phills.
    always hated that asshat. at least he lost the horrible beard. he wasn’t very good last year and he still gets $10 million. $27k+ for every day of the year.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    I agree on Kimbrell....however he is not terrible, just not as good as he was.  His schtick is silly, though.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    edited January 2023
    I’m too old for this shit
    Jeeeeeeeeeesus, f me 
    Bump
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Jeeeeeeeeeesus, f me 
    Bump
    Haha.
    Yeah, par for the course.  Need to bump up the defensive recruiting!
    Only in Philly story from my coworker...

"My friend Facetimed me crying from Xfinity Live (watching the Eagles game) - she saw her boyfriend on the big TV at the Mummers Parade kissing some girl!"

Ha!   
    Philly/PA politics...

How about that Michael Nutter maybe making a comeback?!

And I like how the state ended up with an Independent speaker. Pretty crazy scenario with the dems basically losing their majority after winning it in November. Things worked out pretty well though, relatively speaking .

chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    Jeeeeeeeeeesus, f me 
    Bump
    Haha.
    recruiting or purchasing? :confounded:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    edited January 2023
    Philly/PA politics...

And I like how the state ended up with an Independent speaker. Pretty crazy scenario with the dems basically losing their majority after winning it in November. Things worked out pretty well though, relatively speaking .

Now we're talkin' - Juggs knows what buttons to push...

Yeah, not a fan of Nutter jumping back in. He's gonna lose anyway, but...meh. Personally I'm in the Rebecca Rhynehart camp, but honestly my gut is feeling Helen Gym is going to pull it out. She hired Brendan McPhillips as her campaign manager, same job he did for Fetterman. 

This is the year for Philly pols - mayor and city council all up for grabs, wayyyyy too many people have put their names in the hat. Not that that's  necessarily a bad thing, competition is a good thing for democracy. Which is also why last time around for city council I thought about putting my name in the running for At-Large. There's a point where there's so many people on the ballot that the ROI of running a high-priced campaign isn't worth it. I'm confident I could get 1k petition signatures to get on the ballot, and then it's just a matter of luck of the draw on ballot position. So if you know anyone in the city that wants to run, encourage them to do so!

I don't know how I feel about Rozzi - I guess we'll see how this shakes out. I don't think he actually changed parties, btw. If he were to do so I'd say he's toast come re-election.

More importantly, and Philly & State related - absolutely love that Al Schmidt was appointed (or at least nominated?) by Shapiro to head secretary of state.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
    Wobbie said:
    Jeeeeeeeeeesus, f me 
    Bump
    Haha.
    recruiting or purchasing? :confounded:
    Both legal ways
    Philly/PA politics...

Yeah, not a fan of Nutter jumping back in. He's gonna lose anyway, but...meh. Personally I'm in the Rebecca Rhynehart camp, but honestly my gut is feeling Helen Gym is going to pull it out. She hired Brendan McPhillips as her campaign manager, same job he did for Fetterman. 

This is the year for Philly pols - mayor and city council all up for grabs, wayyyyy too many people have put their names in the hat. Not that that's  necessarily a bad thing, competition is a good thing for democracy. Which is also why last time around for city council I thought about putting my name in the running for At-Large. There's a point where there's so many people on the ballot that the ROI of running a high-priced campaign isn't worth it. I'm confident I could get 1k petition signatures to get on the ballot, and then it's just a matter of luck of the draw on ballot position. So if you know anyone in the city that wants to run, encourage them to do so!

I don't know how I feel about Rozzi - I guess we'll see how this shakes out. I don't think he actually changed parties, btw. If he were to do so I'd say he's toast come re-election.

More importantly, and Philly & State related - absolutely love that Al Schmidt was appointed (or at least nominated?) by Shapiro to head secretary of state.
    Oh yeah I saw that Schmidt appointment. Good move by Josh.

I always liked Nutter
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Philly/PA politics...

I always liked Nutter
    Yeah, I mean whoever the next mayor is needs to be more of a politician in the form of Nutter than Kenney. And what I mean by that is someone who isn't afraid of a microphone, and is willing to be out in the open when it comes to the media.
    edited January 2023
    Philly/PA politics...

I always liked Nutter
    Yeah, I mean whoever the next mayor is needs to be more of a politician in the form of Nutter than Kenney. And what I mean by that is someone who isn't afraid of a microphone, and is willing to be out in the open when it comes to the media.
    "You can be joyous. You cannot be an jackass."  ----One of the greatest mayoral quotes of all time.....yet it appears no where on youtube now. That is unfortunate.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Anecdotal and I know there's A LOT more that goes into it than this, but in my 16 (almost 17...insane) years here, the city thrived the most (at least from my perspective (which is obviously very limited) under Nutter.  I always liked him too
    My prediction is Helen Gym will win. She will fire up the left base (I heard her speak in person and she is quite a force) and since you only need a plurality and the field is so big she'll get the highest percentage. And that was before I knew she hired Fetterman's campaign manager. I'm not saying she's my endorsement - just my prediction. I don't live there anymore so it's not really up to me anyway. I am afraid she will turn out very divisive and be the other guys new national boogieman.

We'll see how it goes with Rozzi. It's a victory that the R's didn't steal the PA House back. Malcolm Kenyatta said McClinton will become Speaker when all the special elections are settled but I also got the feeling he was maybe more venting that predicting. I also for some reason have hope the new PA Senate Leader will be more sensible than her predecessors and hopefully everyone can work together and do some good things. I can't see how they fail to address the school funding issue. The state's largest school district's funding issues are the center issue of the nation's #1 sitcom FFS. It was also a central issue for the Shapiro campaign.

edited January 2023
    Yeah, agree overall. 

Also why I think Philly would be a great start - and national example - for promoting rank-choice voting if implemented. 15-25k votes shouldn't win anything in a city of 1.6M people, but so is the case when elections are a matter of plurality. Also relevant to the current House speaker fiasco going on. RCV should be used for everything.

IIRC she (Gym) also received the most votes of anybody in the last muni election (more than Kenney). But she's got a really well run, organized team around her. She'll probably get the PFT vote, too, which will be huge. I think it's more a matter of how much splitting of all these sub-org groups happen, if at all. It's also why you see a lot of groups started getting their endorsements out early to make that less of an issue, or are at least trying to.

IMO there's only really two choices - Rhynhart or Gym. I could see a lot of people like myself that are Rhynhart supporters pulling votes away from Gym, which wouldn't be great. My biggest issue with Gym is she tries to act like she doesn't have this big institutional support, and I see her as part of the self-affirming/pat on the back masturbatory circle-jerk bullshit of the current city council (my primary issue), and isn't completely public-ed supportive as she seems. 

And I'm not looking to shit on her completely here - she's the real deal, created grassroots campaigns, leads with her heart. I wouldn't be upset if she won for sure.

But that's what brings me to Rhynhart - imo what the city needs right now is someone with a P&L/finance/data background. She knows how to discuss and acknowldge the social issues while also being able to quantify them. Investors do not give a shit about emotion and heart if you can't publish it in financial reports and put it in a slide deck. And those skills are needed when presenting to investors for more money, which is what this city will and always need more of since the State as a whole sucks.

It's not a coincidence that police abuse of overtime and other inefficiencies went down after her office published their audit.

Basically, I want resolutions on low-hanging fruit items & basic QOL issues first & foremost and I believe she'll get them done before Gym.

And who ever wins will be turned into a national bogeyman, anyway, so that's nothing I'm worried about. Those outlets will continue to run the narrative of 'Cities are spoooooky, run for the hills, protect your (white) children!'

But will a female minority mayor of one of the country's top-10 cities be maligned more than most others? Of course.

When it comes to Rozzi: I don't know all the technicalities, but it looks like having him win though was huge for Dems to control the admin parts of things - namely, being able to have the special elections timetable move up on the calendar. So, yeah, we'll see.

Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on

And who ever wins will be turned into a national bogeyman, anyway, so that's nothing I'm worried about. Those outlets will continue to run the narrative of 'Cities are spoooooky, run for the hills, protect your (white) children!'

This is all I heard from everyone over the holidays. So sick of it. When I go to Owls games I don't even tell my parents I'm there (yeah I'm a grown-ass man I can do whatever I want, just don't feel like hearing any more of that crap).

In the blink of an eye this bullpen all of a sudden looks pretty good.

yeah just read we got Soto and IF Clemens from Detroit?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD

Correct. Big arm, pretty wild, left. Sounds familiar. But it's a pretty good pen of lefties and righties to use at any point of the game after the 6th.

Makes me think they're gonna go get a veteran/decent 4th outfielder, too.
    Serenades > NYD…

I’m old 

Correct. Big arm, pretty wild, left. Sounds familiar. But it's a pretty good pen of lefties and righties to use at any point of the game after the 6th.

Makes me think they're gonna go get a veteran/decent 4th outfielder, too.
    We have two of the hardest throwing lefty relievers in the game now. 

And who knows? Maybe Kimbrel can reinvent himself a bit ...
    chinese-happy.jpg