Vinyl setup help

Ok, going to put this here ...

Hello good peoples,

I am not sure if this is the right place to put this, so apologies in advance.if it's not. 

I am doing some X-mas shopping and have a Q for the vinyl folks out there, 

Any suggestions for a decent/good setup - table and speakers etc? We're looking to purchase something middle of the road, something decent, but not looking to break bank here. 

Google has given me a thousand different opinions, and I see there are a few bundles out there for sale , but Im more interested in what you, the vinyl lover, has to say. 

Thank you kindly...

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Fluance has a few deals going on right now.  I've long been either a vintage or Pro-ject guy, but Fluance really cannot be beat for quality, entry level tables.  I would recommend at least getting one of the reference tables (RT82 and above).  The price jump of $50 from RT81 to RT82 is more than justifiable (I've tested both tables and not just the sound, but the build quality is much improved on the 82 vs the 81).  

RT82 (or 83) turntable
    PA10 preamp
    Ai61 powered speakers
    Acrylic platter (optional - buy if you have the add'l funds)

There is a bundle with the first 3 for $700, but if you buy all 4 things separate with the current deals, it only comes out to $725.  Another $50 will get you the RT83 with the Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, which is a decent improvement over the OM10 on the RT82.  The nice thing about the 2M Red is if you ever decide to upgrade, the cartridge will also accept the 2M Blue stylus.
  • Thank you so much- really good info, much appreciated 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    It would definitely help if you gave your budget.
    There are so many options it would be easier to give you some suggestions.

• JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    I have the Audio Technica LP 120 table and love it!  Owned it for about 5 years and it works great. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • eddiec said:

Good point. Probably in the $400-$500 range, which I know isn't much, but my hope is to start with something and then gradually add on etc. 
    eddiec said:

Good point. Probably in the $400-$500 range, which I know isn't much, but my hope is to start with something and then gradually add on etc. 

Is that for the whole setup or just turntable?
  • Well guess it depends 
    the more I look around, the more I’m seeing $500 doesn’t get you much of anything for a Whole setup. Guess I was hoping to spend 500-600 on a whole thing, but that’s looking like close to
    inpossible for anything decent 
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Well guess it depends 
    the more I look around, the more I’m seeing $500 doesn’t get you much of anything for a Whole setup. Guess I was hoping to spend 500-600 on a whole thing, but that’s looking like close to
    inpossible for anything decent 

Yeah, tough to get a decent setup at that price range.
    Check out U-turn https://uturnaudio.com/

You could get their custom base table with a built-in preamp and cue for $300.
    (Then whenever you have the funds, you can begin to upgrade it- cartridge, platter, dedicated preamp, etc.)
    My Dad has one with a Grado cartridge and it sounds great.

Then grab a pair of speakers in the 300 range and that would be a decent start.

I'm not sure if you would need powered speakers with that setup, Maybe somebody could chime in.

• halvhalv Posts: 675
    Fluance has a few deals going on right now.  I've long been either a vintage or Pro-ject guy, but Fluance really cannot be beat for quality, entry level tables.  I would recommend at least getting one of the reference tables (RT82 and above).  The price jump of $50 from RT81 to RT82 is more than justifiable (I've tested both tables and not just the sound, but the build quality is much improved on the 82 vs the 81).  

RT82 (or 83) turntable
    PA10 preamp
    Ai61 powered speakers
    Acrylic platter (optional - buy if you have the add'l funds)

There is a bundle with the first 3 for $700, but if you buy all 4 things separate with the current deals, it only comes out to $725.  Another $50 will get you the RT83 with the Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, which is a decent improvement over the OM10 on the RT82.  The nice thing about the 2M Red is if you ever decide to upgrade, the cartridge will also accept the 2M Blue stylus.
    I second the Fluance recommendation. I bought one about 2 years ago and really love it. Excellent value for an excellent turntable. 
  • Don't be afraid to do a piece at a time until you can get to listening.  I worked at putting my setup over a year or so, I could have rushed it or picked different components but I made a decision to go one way and glad I did.

I then went and made upgrades that also helped along the way.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Don't be afraid to do a piece at a time until you can get to listening.  I worked at putting my setup over a year or so, I could have rushed it or picked different components but I made a decision to go one way and glad I did.

This.. it's better to go piece by piece rather than making compromises that will dissatisfy you down the road.  So now that we know $500 is where you want to be for now, do you have any pieces in place today that can hold you over so that you can get the most for your $500?
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    mrussel1 said:
    Don't be afraid to do a piece at a time until you can get to listening.  I worked at putting my setup over a year or so, I could have rushed it or picked different components but I made a decision to go one way and glad I did.

This.. it's better to go piece by piece rather than making compromises that will dissatisfy you down the road.  So now that we know $500 is where you want to be for now, do you have any pieces in place today that can hold you over so that you can get the most for your $500?
    I agree with this as well. I have an ok Sony turntable, awesome receiver, and new speakers (just upgraded those in the Summer). The speakers took it to a whole other level. The Sony is still working well, but I will be upgrading the turntable next.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    If you already have speakers, you can get a decent turntable and then look on Craigslist or hit garage sales for a cheap vintage receiver just to get started. Just make sure it has a phono input. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a 70s Marantz receiver at a garage sale. Might as well dream!
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2