Who is your non-rock genre go to?

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
When you venture out of Rock's cozy little sphere, who is your go to?  Is it classical, Taylor, Rap/hip hop, country??  Who is the artist that is your non-rock groove?

Has to be the Weeknd for me, never turn him off if on, love his beats....not sure why he resonates.  Maybe it was growing up with Michael Jackson's voice and his is IMO the closest to him...no idea.  JUST DIG THE WEEKND

So who is your non-rock Jam?

You define Rock as you please, clearly is is muddled if you saw the last RRHOF induction!

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    gangsta death country metal rap. it has a pop and classical sensibility to it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Opera 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    c'mon now lets give some names too.  rat, I love 'STAetlry.  KID ROCK
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    edited November 2022
    Either the band Portishead (trip-hop) or the genre of blues (preferably old-school a la Robert Johnson though electric blues is cool too, lol).

Edited to add Portishead’s genre, lol.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    edited November 2022
    Alt-Country. Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, DBT. 
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    Electronic Techno - like Fatboy Slim or the Chemical Brothers. Also funk - like Parliament or Sly and the Family Stone. 
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    edited November 2022
    Love me some Beastie Boys! In my mind it rocks! But in different ways. 

Also love that Moby Play record. So many different styles and genres. Is Radiohead considered rock? Especially Kid A, Moon Shaped Pool. Also enjoy some of Massive Attack’s work. Teardrop is one of my all time favourite tracks. And I mean top 5-10 all time. 
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    edited November 2022
    Either the band Portishead (trip-hop) or the genre of blues (preferably old-school a la Robert Johnson though electric blues is cool too, lol).

Dummy IS sooo good
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    edited November 2022
    hrd2imgn said:

Dummy was sooo good
    Completely agree, this thread has got me in the mood to play their 3 albums as I’m out and about this evening, lol. A sincere thanks, lol.

Edit: This is my current phone wallpaper, lol, my lockscreen’s Aaliyah, another of my go-tos.

Post edited by DarthMaeglin on
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Been on a Run The Jewels, Action Bronson, and Volbeat bend for a while, now.
    Rap, rap, and Psychobilly

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Gvn2flyGvn2fly Posts: 745
    Morgan Wallen and Mac Miller

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Acoustic - Iron & Wine, John Butler, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Tom McRae, Xavier Rudd

Trip Hop / Hip Hop - UNKLE, DJ Shadow, Hilltop Hoods, Massive Attack, Tricky
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 398
    My preference on music is if I like it I listen to it no matter genre. My favorite artist outside rock is Dwight Yoakam. I've seen him live a half dozen times. I listen to anything from bluegrass to rap, metal,  classic country and all types of rock.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Should I name just one favorite non-rock artist or the whole page length list?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    Sometimes my moms music like Barbara Streisand or Frank Sinatra. Barbara Streisand love her singing voice. Really enjoy her movie music from films like Funny Girl and The Way We Were. Her covers of standards like Happy Days Are Here Again pure joy. Her duet with Barry Gibb on Guilty or Neil Diamond on You Don't Bring Me Flowers. Love that stuff. Enjoy Frank Sinatra just as much incredible singing voice. When Frank sings you can easily understand every word. Clear enunciation was most important to him. Big band music rocks me and Frank played with all the best. Tommy Dorsey Band with drummer Buddy Rick or Count Basie Orchestra conducted by Quincy Jones (live at the Sands is gold!). 

Depends on the mood i guess. Classic country works for me Hank Williams Sr. or Patsy Cline. Motown Marvin Gaye Smokie - Robinson. 

strange uh? 

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Probably meditation mood music, Zen Japanese flute or Indian flute music, Andes Chilean music! I like most of tribal music 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • - Jazz (Hard Bop/Modal/Free/Acid mostly) 
    - Alt-Country
    - Blues
    - Classical
    - Johnny Cash
  • Beach Goth - The Growlers 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    Orchestral or Abba
    Kearnsy
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    I would say punk, old school punk.. like the late 70s (ramones, dead boys, sex pistols), but it sort of falls under the umbrella of rock.

I like some country.  Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Zack Brown Band etc...  Like some metal.. old school sepultura, etc...   I'd say a little country and little metal are where I wander when I'm not listening to rock.
  • Soul music like James Brown, Sam & Dave, Lyn Collins.
  • Been on a Run The Jewels, Action Bronson, and Volbeat bend for a while, now.
    Rap, rap, and Psychobilly

Action Bronson was great live.  See him if you can.
    Soul music like James Brown, Sam & Dave, Lyn Collins.

You're a soul man!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux said:

You're a soul man!

Hold on, I'm comin!
    brianlux said:

You're a soul man!

Hold on, I'm comin!

Sam and Dave are definitely cool! 
    The only soul singer I got to see from that era was Jackie Lee (given name Earl Lee Nelson).  Not real well known, but a great singer who opened for the Beach Boys.

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

You're a soul man!

Hold on, I'm comin!

The only soul singer I got to see from that era was Jackie Lee (given name Earl Lee Nelson).  Not real well known, but a great singer who opened for the Beach Boys.
    You never saw Rufus, Sly or the like?  I'm sure you would have seen one of them, Hell even James Brown?

JB I screwed up on...  I should have seen him.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited December 2022
    I'm all over the board, but I'm pretty sick of rock these days. Hoping it makes a strong comeback like in the 90's.

Totally all in on the pop/hip-hop/r&b these days. Doja Cat, Harry Styles, Nicki Minaj, Dua Lipa, etc. Mainly top 40. Best I've heard since late 80s/90s. All the top acts are releasing solid albums the past few years.

Other than that, I love Sinatra and the crooners. Funk/soul gets me grooving.

Oh, and I really like Taylor's new single. Antihero is a great song and I'm not a Taylor fan outside her big hits. Something about that intro also reminds me of DoTC. Very slight similarity.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

You're a soul man!

Hold on, I'm comin!

You never saw Rufus, Sly or the like?  I'm sure you would have seen one of them, Hell even James Brown?

JB I screwed up on...  I should have seen him.

Sly Stone?  NO.  But  I did see Black Uhura with Sly and Robbie.  And ooooooooooh yeah was that a fine show!

So without naming a page or two of individuals or groups, my go to genres outside all forms of rock are (more or less) in this order:
    Jazz
    Blues
    Classic and Outlaw Country
    and everything else including some things that don't really fit any niche like Sandy Bull.
    The only almost never go-to music for me is rap/hip hop and opera.

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    edited December 2022
    I kinda listen to everything. I’m fact, rock is probably one of my least listened to genres. Probably jazz,, hip hop or pop.