My ultra frustrating guitar search... suggestions appreciated!

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
First off, thanks all for suggestions in the past.  I feel like a pest here sometimes, lol!
OK, what I've got: 
Amp: reissue '65 Fender Princeton
Guitar: 80's Squire Strat with humbuckers and a reissue '72 Fender Tele semi hollow body w 2 humbuckers.
Effects: PolyTune tuner, Cry Baby wah, Ram's Head Big Muff Pi

Love the Squire but wanting something with P-90 or maybe single coil.  Love the look of the Tele but never have bonded with it, partly due to scale length (but keeping it because it was a gift from some very special people).  Thought I wanted a standard Tele, but the scale is the same as the one I have which is too long, also looking more toward P-90s

What I'm looking for: 
P-90 or maybe single coil pickups
Almost for certain Fender or Gibson (though Rickenbacker maybe)
Neck: Prefer shorter scale, not too small a radius, not too chunky.  In other words, something easier on old hand with arthritis.

What I'm considering.  I love the look and idea of this Gibson Les Paul Specials and good scale length but I'm concerned the neck may be to chunky:
And maybe this double cutaway beauty, but ouch on price!):
Also considering the less attractive Mustang:

OK, so throw some ideas at me, either pro or con the above or something else to consider.

And as always, THANK YOU!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    i got one of these recently and i love it.

neck is on the chunky side so you may not love it, but the p 90s sound great

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Electric-Guitar/USAXZT41/Olive-Drab

i've never been a fan of the mustang because it has a small body and looks ridiculous on a bigger guy like me. 

you can always consider a gibson sg with p-90s. they are lighter than the lp special, have a double cut away body style like the lp double cut, but have a chunky kind of neck. most gibsons other than the 50s neck profile are on the chunky side though.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    i got one of these recently and i love it.

neck is on the chunky side so you may not love it, but the p 90s sound great

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Electric-Guitar/USAXZT41/Olive-Drab

i've never been a fan of the mustang because it has a small body and looks ridiculous on a bigger guy like me. 

you can always consider a gibson sg with p-90s. they are lighter than the lp special, have a double cut away body style like the lp double cut, but have a chunky kind of neck. most gibsons other than the 50s neck profile are on the chunky side though.

That's one (only in cherry wood color) that has me tempted.  I wish it had the tapered neck which would be easier on my hands.  It's a chunk of change to chance on being able to adjust to it.  Otherwise, the scale, radius, P-90s, Gibson, perfect!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Brian. everyone needs a Les Paul Junior for what you describe.  My favorite Gibson electric!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    Go on reverb.com and type in Les Paul Junior...lots of options..the 2005-2015 years had slim taper necks if I remember correctly and those would be right up your alley.  The best part is one pickup, two knobs, so less fiddling and more playing...

https://reverb.com/item/62751062-gibson-les-paul-jr-double-cut-away-2019-blue

https://reverb.com/item/59437219-gibson-lespaul-jr-2012

https://reverb.com/item/62663743-gibson-les-paul-junior-2012-relic-with-bigsby
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    Go on reverb.com and type in Les Paul Junior...lots of options..the 2005-2015 years had slim taper necks if I remember correctly and those would be right up your alley.  The best part is one pickup, two knobs, so less fiddling and more playing...

https://reverb.com/item/62751062-gibson-les-paul-jr-double-cut-away-2019-blue

https://reverb.com/item/59437219-gibson-lespaul-jr-2012

https://reverb.com/item/62663743-gibson-les-paul-junior-2012-relic-with-bigsby

Thanks for suggestions!
    I've been looking (on-line as we don't have a music shop near by with a good selection) at various Les Paul models and some Fender guitars.  I'm leaning toward Gibson because most of their models have a shorter scale length, but the also tend to have chunkier necks which might pose problems for my hands.  In some ways, I wish there was some kind of Gibson/Fender hybrid.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    What nut width do you prefer?  This is something I really didn't think about until I got my last Tele.  I was so concerned with the 7.25" radius, I didn't even really consider the nut width, which for this guitar was 1.625"   It is so much easier to play, especially coming from acoustic with standard 1.75" nut width.  My hands are (in golfing terms) large "cadet", meaning my fingers are not really long. 

I think the max I would go on nut width in the future is 1.65", although I will make an exception for a Martin D-28.

I tried out one of the Fender American Ultra Strats in a store with the compound neck (10"-14").   It has a nut width of 1.685", but damn that guitar is perfectly sculptured.  It just fit my body perfectly.  Almost bought it, buy I left my bucket of money at home.

Jason P said:
    What nut width do you prefer?  This is something I really didn't think about until I got my last Tele.  I was so concerned with the 7.25" radius, I didn't even really consider the nut width, which for this guitar was 1.625"   It is so much easier to play, especially coming from acoustic with standard 1.75" nut width.  My hands are (in golfing terms) large "cadet", meaning my fingers are not really long. 

I think the max I would go on nut width in the future is 1.65", although I will make an exception for a Martin D-28.

I tried out one of the Fender American Ultra Strats in a store with the compound neck (10"-14").   It has a nut width of 1.685", but damn that guitar is perfectly sculptured.  It just fit my body perfectly.  Almost bought it, buy I left my bucket of money at home.

A very good and interesting question, Jason.  I think you may be right on with 1.65 nut width.

In doing all kinds of searching on the internet for various factors related to selecting a guitar, I came across this article:
    It's not so much that my hands are small (they are a little of the lower end of average), I thought this would be helpful in finding a guitar that is not as difficult to play with having arthritis (and don't feel too sorry for me- look at Keith Richards hands!  He he still plays!).  Included in the authors recommendations are these:

-Guitar neck shapes.  He says:
    Modern C are the most versatile, "My favorite shape for small hands. "
    Wizard is the thinnest.
    Regular C is "round and a bit thicker".
    Thin and ultra thin U good for fast playing.
    Vintage U not good for small hands.
    1950's D is chunky, Hard V is "edgy" and good for "players who like to throw their thumb into the mix when jamming".

-Radius:  "There is no magical fretboard radius that will work best for every small-handed player. But I would aim for a 9.5” and up radius and stay away from under a 9.5” radius(some vintage-styled Teles have a 7.25” radius)."

-Nut Width When searching for a guitar for small hands, I would aim closer to the 1.65” (42mm) nut width with electrics and to 1.68″ (42.67mm) with acoustic guitars. But some wider necks can feel comfortable for small hands too. I recommend testing different widths out.

-Neck Scale: "25.5” is the standard scale length. It’s used on most Stratocaster and Telecaster models. Then there’s the 24” scale length. It’s used on Les Pauls and in most Mustang and Jaguar guitars."

-Body shape:  "Different variations of Stratocaster shape, plus Mustang and Jaguar shape are my favorites for small hands. Telecasters work well too but have usually a bit thicker body (this can vary)....  Les Pauls/ single cuts and SGs "are not a no-no. But both have usually chunkier necks and Les Paul/Single Cut models have worse upper fret access. This means that it’s harder to hit frets below the 13th fret from the Low E, A, and D strings. "  I did not want to hear that about Les Pauls!!!

So then add into this mix the wide variety of pickups and what it all adds up to is enough to make my head explode. :lol:  And of course it would all be so much easier if I had better access to trying out several models.  I may have to plan on traveling down to dreaded Excremento  (Jello Biafra's nick name for Sacramento, Calif. haha!)

I think that article has good info.

My Tele has 7.25" radius and 60's C Oval fender neck ... I thought it was going to be potentially unplayable based on internet comments, so imagine my surprise when I actually played it for the first time and it was one of the best necks I've played ... due to the nut width.  My latest guitar (strat) has a 11" radius, 60's C Oval and a 1.65" nut.  I can see the radius difference, but I don't feel it.  So I don't really concern myself with radius anymore ... maybe if I was a shredder it would be a bigger deal.  Overall, I prefer the Tele neck, especially since (because of the 1.62" nut) I can now use my thumb to mute the top string without taking pressure off my other fingers!  I prefer the Strat body over the Tele slab.

Pick 5 guitars you like (you already have 3 with jag, mustang and tele).  Sites like Sweetwater have good filter options, so you can select scale length and nut width to help distill the list (for example, on Sweetwater, search "Fender Telecaster", then go to the filter and select scale length, nut width, etc. to refine your search). 

Maybe choose one that "scares" you, just to make sure it actually scares you!  Then go spend an afternoon testing them out.  Then go by how they feel to you. Reading internet forums will get your head spinning.  Go by feel.  Only you will know.

I would test out an American Ultra Tele or Strat if I were you.  The contours just hug your body like the guitar is part of you.  You can probably call around to sellers and get a new one for 15% - 20% off list (sweetwater is already listing it 10% off).  A five minute phone call can save hundreds.

And with 16 million new guitar players during covid (most who have given up by now) and Xmas bills coming soon, people will be unloading when credit card statement start rolling in early next year.  Watch reverb and local seller markets.
    Jason P said:
    I think that article has good info.

My Tele has 7.25" radius and 60's C Oval fender neck ... I thought it was going to be potentially unplayable based on internet comments, so imagine my surprise when I actually played it for the first time and it was one of the best necks I've played ... due to the nut width.  My latest guitar (strat) has a 11" radius, 60's C Oval and a 1.65" nut.  I can see the radius difference, but I don't feel it.  So I don't really concern myself with radius anymore ... maybe if I was a shredder it would be a bigger deal.  Overall, I prefer the Tele neck, especially since (because of the 1.62" nut) I can now use my thumb to mute the top string without taking pressure off my other fingers!  I prefer the Strat body over the Tele slab.

Pick 5 guitars you like (you already have 3 with jag, mustang and tele).  Sites like Sweetwater have good filter options, so you can select scale length and nut width to help distill the list (for example, on Sweetwater, search "Fender Telecaster", then go to the filter and select scale length, nut width, etc. to refine your search). 

Maybe choose one that "scares" you, just to make sure it actually scares you!  Then go spend an afternoon testing them out.  Then go by how they feel to you. Reading internet forums will get your head spinning.  Go by feel.  Only you will know.

I would test out an American Ultra Tele or Strat if I were you.  The contours just hug your body like the guitar is part of you.  You can probably call around to sellers and get a new one for 15% - 20% off list (sweetwater is already listing it 10% off).  A five minute phone call can save hundreds.

And with 16 million new guitar players during covid (most who have given up by now) and Xmas bills coming soon, people will be unloading when credit card statement start rolling in early next year.  Watch reverb and local seller markets.

Great info/ideas all around, Jason, thanks!  Particularly helpful is the idea of using the Sweetwater filter options.  They're right there and yet I had only noticed the basic filters at the top, but with your prompting, I now see the other refinements like scale length and nut width.  Awesome!  Thanks!

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    The best advice is to go play them. I know there isn't a good shop very close by, but is there one not too far away? You'll know which one feels right almost immediately (at least that's been my experience). Good luck, man!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    The best advice is to go play them. I know there isn't a good shop very close by, but is there one not too far away? You'll know which one feels right almost immediately (at least that's been my experience). Good luck, man!

Good advice mfc.  I'm trying to narrow my choices down and then will probably have to go to Sacramento to check out whatever I can find.
    Thanks for wishing me good luck!

I inquired with Fender customer service for more info and got a very nice response.  However, that response included this information:

" Scale length is different again. This really has more to do with string tension that anything else - the frets are still the same space apart, the scale length refers to the length of the string from saddle to nut. Almost all Fenders are 25.5". The big exceptions are the Jaguar, the Duo Sonic and the Mustang which have a 24" scale length."

Are the frets really the same space apart regardless of scale length?  I seriously doubt that.  I have a reissue '72 semi hollow body Tele with 25.5 scale and an 80's Squire Strat with 24.75" scale and the length between the frets closer to the nut are absolutely different between those two guitars.  This probably misinformation complicates things.   Hmmm...

After reading this article, I'm leaning toward a Les Paul which has a shorter scale length than Teles and Strats (both great guitars in their own right, of course!)  The short scale of that instrument means less tension and makes depressing strings easier.  I'm thinking that would be easier on my old hands.  It's all described nicely in this excellent article:

brianlux said:
    I inquired with Fender customer service for more info and got a very nice response.  However, that response included this information:

" Scale length is different again. This really has more to do with string tension that anything else - the frets are still the same space apart, the scale length refers to the length of the string from saddle to nut. Almost all Fenders are 25.5". The big exceptions are the Jaguar, the Duo Sonic and the Mustang which have a 24" scale length."

Are the frets really the same space apart regardless of scale length?  I seriously doubt that.  I have a reissue '72 semi hollow body Tele with 25.5 scale and an 80's Squire Strat with 24.75" scale and the length between the frets closer to the nut are absolutely different between those two guitars.  This probably misinformation complicates things.   Hmmm...
    That is crazy talk. The length of the neck and the longer distance from nut to saddle would absolutely change where the note falls on the fretboard.  24" 24 3/4" 25" and 25 1/2" will all have different fret spacing.
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    brianlux said:

That is crazy talk. The length of the neck and the longer distance from nut to saddle would absolutely change where the note falls on the fretboard.  24" 24 3/4" 25" and 25 1/2" will all have different fret spacing.

Yeah, I was a bit amazed by his comment.  And the guy is referenced as "Manager, Consumer Relations", lol!

After listening to a bunch o Neil Young and Crazy Horse lately and knowing how to play several of those songs, I'm really thinking it's gotta be a Les Paul  Hopefully not one that's too heavy.  They have a reputation for being rather hefty!

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Good luck Brian! I hope you find the perfect one. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:
    Good luck Brian! I hope you find the perfect one. 

Thank you, Dudeman!
    Having finally acknowledged the wisdom of going to a music store and checking out guitars, I called the biggest one within a reasonable distance from here- Guitar Warehouse- to see if they had a decent inventory of Les Paul models.  The nice lady said, "Oh yeah!  We have a LOT of Les Pauls right now."  I said, "Great!  So you probably have some Les Paul Specials or some models with P-90s?"  She said, "Hold on a sec, I'll check." 
    A minute later she says, "No, I'm sorry, neither we [the Roseville store] nor Sacramento have any Les Paul Specials and no Les Pauls with P-90s."
    So glad called first!
    So all of my research will come to good use as it looks like I will have to decided what is my best shot at getting what I want through ordering on-line!
    I have one more email inquiry to make to Gibson and then it is on to big decision time!

Thanks all here for helpful input.  It's much appreciated!  Y'all are the best!

If looking at a Les Paul, perhaps the Gibson SG Special is worth looking at as well:

24.75" scale length
    Slim taper neck
    Under 7 lbs
    Better upper fret access from the cut-away style

and two P-90 single coil pickups

Cheaper than the Les Paul as well (the SG was a "Les Paul" until Les Paul got made and made Gibson remove his name)

Jason P said:
    If looking at a Les Paul, perhaps the Gibson SG Special is worth looking at as well:

24.75" scale length
    Slim taper neck
    Under 7 lbs

Cheaper than the Les Paul as well (the SG was a "Les Paul" until Les Paul got made and made Gibson remove his name)

A nice looking guitar!
    I've also had my eye on this one:

brianlux said:
    Jason P said:

24.75" scale length
    Slim taper neck
    Under 7 lbs

A nice looking guitar!

i'd get that one. of the 4 they show in stock the woodgrain looks better on that one. plus it is lighter than the others.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

edited November 2022
    brianlux said:
    Jason P said:

24.75" scale length
    Slim taper neck
    Under 7 lbs

A nice looking guitar!

i'd get that one. of the 4 they show in stock the woodgrain looks better on that one. plus it is lighter than the others.
    So cool that you said that- I was just taking another look at them, and I agree- the body on that one looks great. 
    The other choice I'm seriously looking the one on the far right.  I like it because I like the even color of the neck and it's lighter by an ounce. 
    I'm almost certain I will get one or the other tomorrow!
    In a perfect world, the darker even colored neck would be matched with the one with the more even grain of the body.  It ain't a perfect world, lol, so I'll just have to make up my mind and go for one of them.  Leaning toward the one with the even grain body and lighter neck- same as the one you like.
    Thanks for the input!

Post edited by brianlux on

Les Paul Special, Vintage Cherry with P-90s has been ordered!  I will post picture when it shows up next week.
    Thanks again all for helpful input.  Much appreciated!

brianlux said:
    Les Paul Special, Vintage Cherry with P-90s has been ordered!  I will post picture when it shows up next week.
    nice!! congrats, buddy! hopefully this one is the one!

brianlux said:

Thanks, man! 
    Here's a sneak preview (the rep sent me these photos of the very guitar that has shipped):

Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6
    Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks, man! 
    Here's a sneak preview (the rep sent me these photos of the very guitar that has shipped):

Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6
    Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6

she's gorgeous!! congrats again!!

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks, man! 

Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6
    Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6

she's gorgeous!! congrats again!!

Thanks so much, bud!  I'm stoked! 

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks, man! 

Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6
    Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6

Awesome buddy! You are going to love it.  LP specials and Juniors are the best.
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks, man! 

Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6
    Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6

Thanks, my friend!  I'm stocked!  Should be here Monday or Tuesday.

brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks, man! 

Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6
    Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6

You are going to love the tone. Gibson P90s are straight Crazy Horse tone machines. Also the small fender combos like the Princeton plus a maxed out p90 are a match made in heaven
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks, man! 

Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6
    Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6

You are going to love the tone. Gibson P90s are straight Crazy Horse tone machines. Also the small fender combos like the Princeton plus a maxed out p90 are a match made in heaven

Scheduled delivery for... tomorrow!