Fishing Thread

buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
All things fishing - in honor of fishing season starting here in Michigan today, I have started the Official Pearl Jam Fishing Thread.

Post you pics - thoughts or whatever pertaining to fishing here.

Cheers, bUCK

Good Luck!!!!

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    My bad - I did search :)
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Search function sucks anyway :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Getting ready - will be in a cabin for 4 days with no power next week
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Will be at a fishing camp in the Bayou for 4 days next week. Need to take a boat to get there but there is power, directTV, full bar, bunch of knuckleheads, and we are even bringing out a local musician to hang with us and entertain at night for one of the evenings.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,601
    Bump up a dusty one.
    Whachacatching?

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Pretty rainbow!  What state are you in?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    NJ.
    Thanks. 19" and really colorful fat female. I'm in love. Pretty fantastic fall/winter fishing NWNJ. Was really happy to catch this one. No net or waders. Just jumped into the cold water to land it.  Thought it might break off. Fought like a beast.

I fly fish and spin. Find spinning a little easier for me. Can casually stop.for a few casts after work. Fly stuff takes more time which I don't always have.
    Got this nice male on a fly using spinning rod.

• I'll be looking for Bonito and Striped bass this week off of Silver Point.  Wish me luck.  

I don't wear waiters this time of year either.  Water is warm enough.
  • Loujoe said:
    Bump up a dusty one.
    Whachacatching?

I did not know there were rainbow trout on this side of the continent...

Do these ever get a chance to become steel heads or is there no outlet to the ocean for that?
    No steelheads in nj. Upstate ny there are steelheads. They go into the great lakes and run in the rivers chasing the salmon eating their eggs. Never got a steelhead. Never really tried. 

There are ocean run brown trout, but rare and I don't know much about them. 
    Have a great trip. 

Fish on!
    Rainbows are mainly stocked here. Some wild.
  • Loujoe said:
    Rainbows are mainly stocked here. Some wild.
    If I'm ever in public office I am going to make sure that all spawning fish have a right of way.  It'll be money well spent.
    True^^ they are taking down dams everywhere which is great.

I read the book 'on the run' about stripers. Great one.
  • Loujoe said:
    True^^ they are taking down dams everywhere which is great.

I read the book 'on the run' about stripers. Great one.
    How old is it?

I'm curious to read up on someone who has studied them over the years.  Since I moved back to NY in 2012 the laws on catching them has changed 5 or 6 times now.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Haven't been fishing in months.  That trout is sweet looking!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Haven't been fishing in months.  That trout is sweet looking!
    Delicious looking.  You aren't looking at it right!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    @loujoe you fishing the musky Or flatbrook?  I spent a lot of time in north jersey fly fishing.  I m currently in mon county so it s hard to head up there.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    been blackfishin in long island sound last few weeks, near Connecticut from North Shore Long Island

Anchor up in about 25-30 ft....they put up a nice fight 
  • CROJAM95 said:
    been blackfishin in long island sound last few weeks, near Connecticut from North Shore Long Island

Stripers are everywhere right now.  You get any mackerel or bonito?
    CROJAM95 said:

eh, I just dont like eating stripers....we go out for them a few times a year, Jones Beach Inlet or Huntington/Northport Harbor... Montauk/Orient every few years

Sea Bass, Porgie, Blackfish, Fluke i enjoy eating

Few years ago we were on a school of Mackerel off Hampton Bays....probably 3-4 miles offshore, saw 2 white sharks pop in and chase I guess Bunker that got mixed in ....it was cool. We actually hooked on a 7 ft juvenille about 10 years ago, thought it was a mako at 1st.....then as it came up, started to identify it as a white. We cut it loose

They are out there...crazy I had 2 encounters with them....I know a few lifers in their 60's who say they never seen them
  • CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:

eh, I just dont like eating stripers....we go out for them a few times a year, Jones Beach Inlet or Huntington/Northport Harbor... Montauk/Orient every few years

Few years ago we were on a school of Mackerel off Hampton Bays....probably 3-4 miles offshore, saw 2 white sharks pop in and chase I guess Bunker that got mixed in ....it was cool. We actually hooked on a 7 ft juvenille about 10 years ago, thought it was a mako at 1st.....then as it came up, started to identify it as a white. We cut it loose

They are out there...crazy I had 2 encounters with them....I know a few lifers in their 60's who say they never seen them
    Great whites are definitely out there!  Buddy of mine hooked in a 15 footer.  They got it up to the boat and realized it was a white and cut it loose.

Striper is delicious eating as long as it's under 40lbs.  If they are that heavy you're throwing them back now anyways.  Your still catching fluke up north?
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:

Great whites are definitely out there!  Buddy of mine hooked in a 15 footer.  They got it up to the boat and realized it was a white and cut it loose.

Striper is delicious eating as long as it's under 40lbs.  If they are that heavy you're throwing them back now anyways.  Your still catching fluke up north?
    over the summer we get them, i like to get them in hampton bay.....in about 5-6 ft of water, you see them chase......good sashimi

I like cooking a whole fish on the BBQ, Sea bass my all time fave, just comes out so good with the garlic/white wine/ olive oil etc
    mcgruff10 said:
    @loujoe you fishing the musky Or flatbrook?  I spent a lot of time in north jersey fly fishing.  I m currently in mon county so it s hard to head up there.  
    Got that big momma in the musky. Nice. Never explored flatbrook. Also fish south branch raritan. Small world.
  • CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:

over the summer we get them, i like to get them in hampton bay.....in about 5-6 ft of water, you see them chase......good sashimi

I like cooking a whole fish on the BBQ, Sea bass my all time fave, just comes out so good with the garlic/white wine/ olive oil etc
    Those are delicious.

My buddy caught a tuna last year.  I made my own sushi with it.  So good.
    Any fish stories? Been reading about east coast usa striper fishing. Not too close to causally hit the surf. Maybe next season.
    Old friend let me fish the stream that runs through his farm. A club stocks it. Biggest brown I ever got (kind of cheating) still fought like a son of a gun.

edited December 2022
    Rainbow
    edited December 2022
    Variegated Brown. Someone told me that's what it is. Got a few of these this season. Cool looking fish.
    Post edited by Loujoe on