Options

Tell me about your wah pedal(s)

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
Besides still wanting a guitar with single coil pickups (probably a Tele), the one other thing I want to add to my small/basic/decent set up is a wah pedal.  I bought a Dunlap Cry Baby in 1969 that was stolen from me in '71 or '72.  I haven't owned or even used a wah since.  I'm overdue! 
So tell me about you favorite wah- the whys, hows, and therefores, etc.  I'm included to go with another Cry Baby like I had way back when, but a lot of volts have run through a billion wires since then so am open to other ideas.
Thanks!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,156
    i have one of these that i bought from our former bass player back in 2005 or 2006. i do not think they make them anymore. i had been using a crybaby that i bought in the late 90s but when i started playing marshalls in about 2003 i found the crybaby to have really harsh high end and it hurt my ears. the budwah really seemed to have a more even tone sweep that did not have the high treble like the crybaby. i am sure you can find these used for maybe $200 bucks on reverb. but i highly recommend this one.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/budda-budwah-wah-pedal

that said, the crybaby may sound pretty good with your princeton, but could get squaky with your bridge pickup. i would try as many different ones as you can. they are all similar yet different, hence all of the artist signature wahs that are out there.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    i have one of these that i bought from our former bass player back in 2005 or 2006. i do not think they make them anymore. i had been using a crybaby that i bought in the late 90s but when i started playing marshalls in about 2003 i found the crybaby to have really harsh high end and it hurt my ears. the budwah really seemed to have a more even tone sweep that did not have the high treble like the crybaby. i am sure you can find these used for maybe $200 bucks on reverb. but i highly recommend this one.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/budda-budwah-wah-pedal

that said, the crybaby may sound pretty good with your princeton, but could get squaky with your bridge pickup. i would try as many different ones as you can. they are all similar yet different, hence all of the artist signature wahs that are out there.

Good info, man, thanks!  With having tinnitus and hyperacusis, I'm rather high pitch sensitive.  I probably never noticed the more harsh high end treble back then.  Something to consider, for sure. 
    I'll check out the budwah, thanks!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,972
    A lot of wah pedals these days have selectable sweep ranges and EQ/tone controls right on them.

The Dunlop 535-Q is such a wah, and it is super easy to dial in great tones for use with various guitars and amps. I'm pretty sure Mike McCready used to use one of these. I've had mine for probably 15 years and it effectively ended my search for the perfect wah pedal.

Good luck, Brian!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    A lot of wah pedals these days have selectable sweep ranges and EQ/tone controls right on them.

The Dunlop 535-Q is such a wah, and it is super easy to dial in great tones for use with various guitars and amps. I'm pretty sure Mike McCready used to use one of these. I've had mine for probably 15 years and it effectively ended my search for the perfect wah pedal.

Good luck, Brian!

Looks like the BudWah is no longer available so I was doing a little more research and just- and I mean just, lol!- was reading up on the 535-Q.  Adding your recommendation makes this one a very strong contender!  Thanks, dudeman!