*** Pearl Jam Denver, CO Fanviews 9/22/22 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited September 2022 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
Ball Arena
Denver, CO
North American Tour 2022
09/22/22
Show
Set List

Stone joins Josh K to play “Buttercup” A song from Stone’s band Brad.
Mike McCready joins Josh K to play
Matt, Jeff, Stone and Mike all play on Josh’s last song.

PEARL JAM
walk on music Cat Power-The Greatest at 9:04
Band Onstage 9:05
Band Offstage 11:31

01. Long Road
02. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
03. Thin Air
04. Just Breathe
05. Present Tense
06. Interstellar Overdrive-(Barrett, Mason, Waters, Wright)
07. Corduroy
08. Spin The Black Circle
Praises Colorado for their sensible gun laws
09. Throw Your Hatred Down-(Young)
10.  Given To Fly
11.  Who Ever Said/I Can’t Get No Satisfaction-(Jagger Richards) 14 seconds (band stops to deal with someone who passed out)
12.  Even Flow
13. Dance Of The Clairvoyants
14. River Cross
15. Save You
16. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling) 1:30 min
17. Last Kiss-(Cochran) to the back of the arena
18. Faithfull
19. Lukin
20. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break

{Talks about Tom Petty, Red Rocks, Sandy Hook, gun control, Alex Jones}
21. I Won't Back Down-(Lynne, Petty) EV only. (For Jen who lost her daughter at Sandy Hook.  She testified at Alex Jone’s trial this week.)
22. Chloe Dancer/Crown Of Thorns-(Mother Love Bone, A. Wood)
23. Alive
(Mark Zupan, the crowd surfer in a wheel chair, is back after 30 years.  Molly and Whitney from Thunderpussy join the band onstage)
24. Baba O’Riley-(Townshend)
25. Yellow Ledbetter

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
Thank you, John for the set list & notes.
Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• Incredible night. First show I got to see this tour. Took my older sister to her first PJ show and my 51st. Just awesome energy from all the guys - even Stone was grooving and smiling! Loved hearing Long Road to start, always takes me back to Va Beach 2000. Thin Air was nice even with some botched lyrics. Whoever Said sounded great. And River Cross was powerful. Faithfull/Lukin/RVM to end set was tremendous. Baba with Thunderpussy dancing around was great fun. Just an amazing experience. My sister got a glimpse of why I’ve spent a lot of the last 25 years following the band. Don’t need 3 hour shows when they’re so good and play so well for 2.5. We’re all getting older but they just get better as a band.
  • prljmr316prljmr316 Denver, CO Posts: 162
    Just back from the show, epic night, as usual for the band. I want to thank Ed for mentioning, Jen from Sandy Hook, and gun violence. I have never mentioned this publicly, but at the time of the Columbine shooting, I worked with shooter Dylan Klebold's older brother. I won't say much beyond that, as I respect his privacy, and in my opinion, he is a victim of his brothers madness also. That said, fuck Alex Jones, and I hope Jen and the other Sandy Hook families get as much as they can out of that asshole. The killing needs to stop. These kids should never have to live through this shit. Anyways, thanks to the band for making show number 6 an awesome one, love you all. Can't wait for what's next. Peace til next time!9
    John Strohmeyer
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Long road.  :)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    Is this the first Just Breathe sighting from this leg?

Great looking set. Sad it's over.  Hoping they are out on the road again next spring/summer
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Is this the first Just Breathe sighting from this leg?

Great looking set. Sad it's over.  Hoping they are out on the road again next spring/summer
    yep...not played since Fenway 2018
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,650
    edited September 2022
    incredible show. Eddie and the band sounded great. Long Road, River Cross, Present Tense, Faithful, whoever said, Save you were all highlights. RVM was next level.  Can’t believe these guys still sound just as great after all these years. Thanks PJ for never disappointing !! 
    Post edited by THEBIBLEISTEN on
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Great night. Awesome way to finish the tour. So glad we made the trip. I don’t even know what the highlight was for me, I’m just happy. 

Shout out to section 122 which brought plenty of enthusiasm.

And, yeah, fuck Alex Jones. And Putin.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Back story: my work involves the death penalty, and litigating in advance of executions. For the past 15 years, when an execution has gone forward, I take a quiet moment of reflection to listen to Indifference. The lyrics give me comfort and quiet inspiration in a time of darkness. And when an execution doesn't go forward as scheduled, I listen to Alive. Because...obviously. 

So, last night, the State of Alabama was supposed to execute, after SCOTUS vacated a stay of execution. Alabama tried, but failed for reasons yet to be uncovered. The warrant expired at midnight Central time, and Mr. Miller is still alive. And right around 10 minutes after that, the band played....Alive. I didn't know it at the time, so the song had a tinge of irony and melancholy for me last night in the moment. But this morning, putting this all together and running the timeline, I'm in tears and shook. Thank you, gentlemen. Your music means so much more than you can ever know, to so many of us, for so many different reasons. 

It was so great meeting so many new people in the GA line yesterday, and the energy from the show was incredible. The set list was so good, and Alive at that exact moment was just a massive cherry on top for me. Thank you all, much love, today is an amazing day.
    "But first he was stripped and then he was stabbed by faceless men, well, fuckers, he still stands!"
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a spring time ahead..."
    "'You're still alive,' she said.  Oh, and do I deserve to be?  Is that the question?  And if so...if so...who answers?...who answers?" 
    "I believe, and I believe 'cuz I can see our future days. Days of you and me."

1998.08.26 Cleveland/Cuyahoga Falls; 2000.10.14 Houston; 2000.10.15 Houston; 2003.04.06 Houston;
    2004.10.02 Toledo; 2006.05.20 Cleveland; 2006.05.22 Auburn Hills; 2010.05.06 Columbus;
    2010.05.09 Cleveland; 2014.10.01 Cincinnati; 2016.04.26 Lexington; 2018.08.18 Chicago N1;
    2018.08.18 Chicago N2; 2022.09.08 Toronto; 2022.09.22 Denver; 2023.09.10 Noblesville, IN
  • That's  some heavy stuff
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Thanks for posting this. It was my first show in 13 years and the best one I can remember. They sounded incredible and the fans around us were all lovely. 
    Does anyone remember which Mad Season song Josh and Mike played?
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    The intersection between amazing songs, crazy strong lyrics & meaning, the passion and energy of the audience, and the way the band brings real world real issues into the room for the shows makes for the best live band with such a long relevant powerful career... Thank you PJ! (I wasn't at the show, just reading all your comments though made me all emo!)
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited September 2022
    ^^^ Nutshell by Alice in Chains.   The Plutalone set was off the hook! Stone and Josh doing Buttercup was amazing and then to have the entire band except Ed on stage to play the Pluralone great track Offend… what a treat for the fans. 

The band brought it last night, MM was particularly on fire.  That solo on Evenflow was face melting. EV’s challenge? Accepted! 😎

I’d just like to say, the crowd was amazing, can’t wait to hear the boot. You could tell the boys appreciated it and dug deep to end this tour with a bang. I just highly doubt many other bands touring after 30 years bring that much energy to the stage.  

Can’t wait to hear what’s coming in 2023! 
  • This was my 14th PJ show and honestly can't remember Eddie or the band sounding better. AWESOME energy from them and crowd the entire show. Long Road as an opener always kills and set a perfect tone for the night. The setlist was money and there were really no dead spots, though admittedly I've never been a huge fan of Last Kiss...glad they played it to the back of the arena  ;) 

Lights were on from Alive through Baba and YL.  The last 15 minutes just felt like a big celebration after waiting for this rescheduled show. The band got a very long (and well-deserved) ovation at the end of the show as the boys took their bows for what I think is one of the best shows I've seen. Thanks to them and for all the great PJ fans who came out!
    1998: Minneapolis
    2000: Noblesville
    2003: St. Paul, Chicago, East Troy
    2006: New York City (Letterman show), Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Auburn Hills
    2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre), Chicago (Lollapalooza)
    2009: Chicago
    2014: Denver
    2018: Chicago
    2022: Denver
    2023: St. Paul 2, Chicago 1
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited September 2022
    My wife’s first PJ show.  With kids it never worked out with us seeing them together so this one was extra special.  She was stunned by the performance and the crowd.  

--great, great crowd.  I always get the feeling that they notice when a place is mostly full for Josh or anyone else and it filled up early.  
    —Crown of Thorns into Alive is some meaningful stuff.  
    --Ed mentioned that they should play Red Rocks again one day, but said it’s definitely their last show “for the foreseeable future”
    —I don’t ever chase rare ones.  I could hear a show of radio singles for all I care but it was nice to hear Thin Air and MLB.
    —Loved the little Chris Cornell mention.
    —-They seemed taken aback by the cheering after Ledbetter.  That was really cool.  I don’t remember them standing around and taking it all in like that at any of the shows I’ve ever been to. 
    Anyone know what song played after the show ended and they started taking the gear down?  

--The guy next to us was older.  Saw Zeppelin and the Stones, and everyone else in their primes and seeing PJ for the first time.  At the end he shook my hand and said “I’m gonna sleep on it but that might actually be the best concert I’ve ever seen in my life.”

Thank you, PJ, for yesterday.  That was so meaningful in many ways.   
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,610

Had a Ball at last nights show.

Thanks PJ for giving us your all.
  • JMoneyJMoney Denver Posts: 44
    I was already elevating because of the Long Road opening and the Interstellar intro as well as Faithfull, but I had no idea that we were in the kind of hallowed space where Chloe/Crown might be played. Almost felt out of bodyish, like no one else was even in the building. Super great night full of magic. I agree with the comment that the band felt some significance to the evening as well, it's rewarding to see that it's meaningful and cathartic for them too. 1000% down with all of the messages Ed shared as well, another big reason why I'm bound to this band. Will be riding the buzz from last night for a good while.
    Lake Fairfax, VA '92 - Missoula, MT '12 - Baltimore '13 - Denver '14 - Telluride '16 - Denver '22
  • Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 267
    edited September 2022
    Someone was saying on a FB page that during the show Ed referenced Mike leaving the band... any truth?

• --Ed mentioned that they should play Red Rocks again one day, but said it’s definitely their last show “for the foreseeable future”

Ugh.  Bummer to hear this and obviously things can change but this is discouraging.  
    Is a Compliment For You.
    1998 Va. Beach ~~ 2000 Va. Beach ~~ Columbia, Md. ~~ 2003 Bristow, Va. ~~ 2006 DC ~~ 2008 Va. Beach ~~ DC ~~ 
    2010 Bristow, Va. ~~ 2013 Charlottesville, Va. ~~ 2016 Hampton, Va. ~~ Fenway 1 & 2 ~~ Wrigley 1 & 2 ~~
    2022 Nashville ~~ St. Louis ~~ Oklahoma City ~~ 2023 St. Paul 1 & 2 ~~ Austin 1 & 2 ~~ Upcoming 2024  TBD...
  • Someone was saying on a FB page that during the show Ed referenced Mike leaving the band... any truth?
    I think that guy just wants attention. Ed said something like Mike will go crazy on this next one (Even Flow) because it would be their last show for the foreseeable future. That's it. 
  • Someone was saying on a FB page that during the show Ed referenced Mike leaving the band... any truth?
    If it’s on Facebook then it must be true. Eddie never said anything close to that
  • I could see them hating the touring lifestyle right now with all the COVID bubbles and not wanting to do that until those protocols are lifted.  But you can't take anything this band says publicly seriously in regards to touring and albums.  
  • withflyingcolorswithflyingcolors CO Posts: 467
    edited September 2022
    Excellent crowd and probably the best seated section I've been in as far as behavior and enthusiasm goes. Saw soo many smiles on all the guys! Chloe/Crown is beautiful. So much energy! I really never get tired of Corduroy at a show. Lukin into RVM is the highlight for me.

Loved Ed's messages all night. I remember him dedicating Come Back in Hartford to Avielle, and mentioning how moved he was meeting with some of the Sandy Hook parents that night. So heavy but I love that he never shies away from talking about these issues. Until next time < 3 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    From the horse’s mouth.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    edited September 2022
    I’m gonna be that guy and say I just had an ok time last night. Band sounded great, crowd was solid, but found the setlist kinda lacking both in song selection and flow for my tastes. Think I just got one of those shows where the rarer songs just happen to be stuff I’ve seen a bunch. Loved hearing present tense and faithful, but otherwise felt like more of a hits show than the most of this leg of the tour. Walking out my brother and I were chuckling about how we got pretty much every song we said “I’d rather not hear that one” to earlier in the day
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • I guess I’m going to be “that guy” also. Great start to the show.  The first 5 songs were an awesome way to begin.  Loved how Present Tense transitioned between the slow songs and the higher energy ones.  I had high expectations for the last night on tour and was underwhelmed by the number of songs.  25 this night compared to 38 (!) for the last Denver show in 2014, also a tour ender.  Also no Black, which was a disappointment.  Good show overall but the normal-length playlist made me wonder if they were tired.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    reortega said:
    I guess I’m going to be “that guy” also. Great start to the show.  The first 5 songs were an awesome way to begin.  Loved how Present Tense transitioned between the slow songs and the higher energy ones.  I had high expectations for the last night on tour and was underwhelmed by the number of songs.  25 this night compared to 38 (!) for the last Denver show in 2014, also a tour ender.  Also no Black, which was a disappointment.  Good show overall but the normal-length playlist made me wonder if they were tired.
    Serious ‘I love Stone, but..’ vibes here. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Amazing night!! What a wonderful experience!! Thank you Pearl Jam!! It is always a pleasure to have you back in Colorado and showing us LOVE!! We brought you rainbows! Was nice to hear Ed mention Telluride as the last time they were here. I’m pretty sure that one was truly memorable for them with Kelly’s birthday party and all, LOL… Hard to believe its 1 month shy of 8 years since they last closed down the arena in Denver on their anniversary night. Man do they know how TO BRING IT!!! Another grand performance! THANK YOU

Loved watching Mike run around the stage all night! Look at him way over there LOL!! Glad he is feeling and looking healthy. We all understand how stressful this Gigaton tour has been on the PJ family. It was such a rocky start with the west leg cancellations and substitute band member attempts and then such a scare in Europe with Ed’s voice that all year I’ve been nervous this show wouldn’t even happen and the let down of March 2020 was just going to be a never-ending river cross! Of course delays are inevitable. I still fondly recall the delay of my first show in Austin ‘95 and how a PJ concert could dominate a high schoolers mind for so long!

So what a wait it has been my friends! Made last night all the more special!! Brought my 15 year old son for his first show; wife and I always enjoy catching you. Pretty much dragged him away for the night so that one day he could say in his future he witnessed this band perform. It makes me happy he joined and afterwards he said he had a good time.

So pumped with Long Road opener! I’ve been waiting many years for that one to open up. In many ways it is one of my favorite songs of all time… They locked in a bootleg sale right out of the gate with one!!

Such a great rocking flow throughout the show. Interstellar > Corduroy is PJ Insanity and they were just starting to crank up!!

Love that STBC is getting brought out. Seems they appreciated that request up at the Apollo and have been carrying it forward.

Getting positive vibes out there with the Mirror Ball jammer Throw Your Hatred Down was kick ass! Love the messaging it brings. 

Knew Who Ever Said was going to be rolled out since they have been bringing it every set list and it didn’t disappoint! Such an awesome driving beat on it and Ed kills it! Always wondered why they didn’t call that one Satisfaction since it is probably their only chance at having a song with that epic title… But I digress…

Ed did mention it would be awhile before they think about playing as a group again when he introduced Mike for Even Flow. We get it and understand this was probably an exhausting closing stretch from last week on… Ohana will be here shortly so get some good down time in and hope the couple of Earthling shows are enjoyable. Such a cool side project… Speaking of Earthlings… Good and Evil >> ‘So Fucking Sick!!’ Can’t we all agree that Alex Jones is So Fucking Sick…! Props for Ed calling him out! We know kids from Parkland, FL and this shit is no joke. Tragedy and suffering are not up for sale you asshole.

Was especially moved we got River Cross as I was secretly hoping this would come out! I’ve loved it ever since hearing it from the COVID benefit concert. It seems to be the least played of all the Gigaton songs. All the phone lights in the room is such a great effect and I love the Ed plays the organ on it. A definite highlight…

Save You is top 5 PJ for me and always has been. Such a rocking and powerful song. Ed has never shied away from the darkness he’s experienced with his friends and this one contains some great emotion in it. Another big one for me, so thank you, thank you, thank you…

Rock on with Better Man and then so humbly turn around to play to the rear audience and my dancing ass! So great to see your faces again my friends!! We are the Faithful!!

Rearviewmirror in all its glory!! Such amazing energy brought with that one. Mike can barely contain himself LOL!! Man he rocks hard!! Caught Jeff kick jumping at the end of that one. Looks like that shit is catching on!!

A quick encore breather and the room is hyped! I Won’t Back Down played for Tom. What a treat! Their time together was too short… And then to bring up Chole Dancer/Crown of Thorns! We are in full on tribute of loved ones here! So a great combo – again, thank you!

Loved hearing the Mark story and seeing him onstage. PJ can help anybody get through shit!!

What energy the room had for the three part tour closer – Alive > Baba > YL !!!! You could see it on the stage and all through the arena.. High kicks from the Thunderpussy ladies was kick ass! Everyone was absolutely loving it!! Knew we would end with Yellow Ledbetter as these boys have always been proper and legit in their shows and know a good thing when they've got one. It holds such an epic place in the history of PJ concerts and is always such a sweet send off. We all cheered our asses off after that because you guys f-n deserve it!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Pearl Jam! A Hui Hou my life friends of 30 years! Keep on rockin and we’ll keep spinning it you bad ass mother lovers!! Peace!

• This was my third show this leg, fourth on the tour, and it was my home show. As a result of the local aspect of the show, I really didn't plan a lot into how I was going to make it happen with everything else going on. No who was going to watch the kids, when I was going to get there, how I was going to play merch (yes, I do that), what I was going to do for food, and how everything else worked out, who I was even going to go with. Seriously didn't decide until I wrapped a couple of work things in the morning and said, screw it, I'm heading to the arena.

I was down there for about 12 hours, which is honestly about the longest I have ever done that. My wife and I were in downtown Nashville just as long, if not longer, but we mostly used that time to experience that craziness and not just related to the show. This Denver experience was different and the time just escaped me.

It also led to about the weirdest merch experience I have had, but I still enjoyed it. I got into line around 1. Thought it was shorter than a similar time in OKC, but it moved slow. I think think that's because they had fewer people working here. There were awesome people around me as always. We all really hit it off. When I got to the front, I think after about four hours, which is a record and I wouldn't usually do, but again, it was fun, they were out of all buy small Denver shirts, the first poster I got was damaged and they exchanged it, I got stickers and a button, then I damage the new poster rolling it up. Later when my wife met me down there, we went in around 6:20 because she had to go to the bathroom, I went to the third level booth, waited no time and got another poster, it was also damaged, worse than the first I got, they gave me a new one and I got that wrapped up fine. They also only had large shirts, and I really need XLs, but I took one because it was close enough. Then I asked another booth to exchange because they had XLs and they did and the dude sold the large like out of his hands. So lots of little effort to get what I wanted, but it was kind of fun.

Before my wife got there I ate dinner by myself at Brooklyn's, both bartenders were going to the show and had been to the European leg, talked to more cool fans, and it just added another element to the day.

I liked the show a lot as always, but it wasn't as good as OKC. I know many like Long Road as an opener, and I do too, but it is my most frequent opener and with all the different things with that, I was hoping for something unique, especially after Garden. The unique songs were all very good and I got Just Breathe and full Chole/Crown for the first time and both were amazing. I was stoked to see RVM close the main set and I always love Lukin. I get the sentiment behind playing I Won't Back Down, but I would have rather had a meaningful PJ song there.  Ed also had a couple of weird transitions. Really thought we might get Glorified G once there, and something from Into the Wild another time and neither. So some criticisms, but overall I just love seeing this band and this time was no different.

I am glad I got to experience this last week, and it created tons of memories. 
  • reortega said:
    I guess I’m going to be “that guy” also. Great start to the show.  The first 5 songs were an awesome way to begin.  Loved how Present Tense transitioned between the slow songs and the higher energy ones.  I had high expectations for the last night on tour and was underwhelmed by the number of songs.  25 this night compared to 38 (!) for the last Denver show in 2014, also a tour ender.  Also no Black, which was a disappointment.  Good show overall but the normal-length playlist made me wonder if they were tired.
    This whole tour has been shorter an entire encore break. Not unique to last night 
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    Best freaking band.   👍