Bush must've been watching a LOT of PJ videos...

JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
edited September 2022 in Other Music
I just saw the video for Bush's "Glycerine" for the 1st time in decades, and it kept striking me how much the video angles, his facial expressions, even the brown tattered jacket he wears in one part... it's got SO MUCH "Ed in the Jeremy video aesthetic" to it, and also some PJ MTV Unplugged.  Then I saw it came out in '94 which makes sense, enough time to be totally impacted by PJ's "video artform" and say "Do that!"  

Anyone else see that, or it's just me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOllF3TgAsM

Comments

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited September 2022
    I’ve always heard their first album was just a more polished version of nevermind 

I like both albums, doesn’t bother me any but I’d say I hear more nirvana influences 

as to the video visuals, I don’t know. From what I remember a lot of videos looked kind of like that in the 90’s 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    edited September 2022
    I loved that song. Watching that video just now gave me massive flashbacks to that time in my life. Woosh!!
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I’ve always heard their first album was just a more polished version of nevermind 

I like both albums, doesn’t bother me any but I’d say I hear more nirvana influences 

as to the video visuals, I don’t know. From what I remember a lot of videos looked kind of like that in the 90’s 
    That probably makes sense sonically that Nirvana was more the main sound influence than PJ. And I like Bush, I like most of the songs that were on the radio.

But visually, I can't think of any videos before Jeremy that had that particular look, and if I remember correctly Ed was the first frontperson NOT to "pose" and to make uncomfortable facial expressions. I'm talking in terms of major bands getting MTV airplay; clearly there were other bands before PJ to focus more on playing and emoting than looking like supermodels.

I should probably have been clearer, but I just saw so much that looked like mimicking (respectfully, admiringly) Eddie's video presence, which was of course huge then.

Also just saw a few Nirvana videos (In Bloom, Teen Spirit, and Heart Shaped Box) and yes, musically I get the influence but their videos have their own vibes that were also different.

It's such a subjective question I asked, totally cool that there will be many opinions :)
    edited September 2022
    GlowGirl said:
    I loved that song. Watching that video just now gave me massive flashbacks to that time in my life. Woosh!!
    Riiight?? Music videos can be such emotional time machines! Well, I guess music at all, even hearing certain songs... But the videos take you back to the whole era and what it was like to watch them from wherever in your life you were...  Woosh indeed!

The video era I'm finding most interesting of all on this channel is 70s videos, more than anything because songs were SO MUCH more about how they SOUNDED and not how the musicians LOOKED, even though there are some fabulous outfits and of course there was plenty of awareness and effort in looking "good".  But people looked SO NORMAL. Normal faces, crazy hair, a lot of super talented people who looked largely like most other people in those days.

I don't remember the 70s cuz I was so tiny, but it's fascinating to compare them to the 80s, 90s and 00s from a music video point of view.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
    edited September 2022
    GlowGirl said:
    Yeah 

bush, no doubt, goo goo dolls  was the first concert I went to without my parents . Album was out for sure so probably 1995 

it was supporting sixteen stone, a boy named goo, and tragic kingdom as I remember most of the songs being from that.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    GlowGirl said:
    Yeah 

bush, no doubt, goo goo dolls  was the first concert I went to without my parents. Would have been that 94 tour or into 95. Album was out for sure so maybe 95 
    I think I have about 10 years on you. My first concert without my parents was Rush. But I remember right before I moved to New York my sister and I went to see the Goo Goo Dolls at the 9:30 Club in DC. They were on the verge of making it big but were still playing smaller club venues. It was our last night out together before I moved out of town. We still go to shows together though. She just came up for the PJ MSG show. 
    edited September 2022
    JH6056 said:

That probably makes sense sonically that Nirvana was more the main sound influence than PJ. And I like Bush, I like most of the songs that were on the radio.

But visually, I can't think of any videos before Jeremy that had that particular look, and if I remember correctly Ed was the first frontperson NOT to "pose" and to make uncomfortable facial expressions. I'm talking in terms of major bands getting MTV airplay; clearly there were other bands before PJ to focus more on playing and emoting than looking like supermodels.

I should probably have been clearer, but I just saw so much that looked like mimicking (respectfully, admiringly) Eddie's video presence, which was of course huge then.

Also just saw a few Nirvana videos (In Bloom, Teen Spirit, and Heart Shaped Box) and yes, musically I get the influence but their videos have their own vibes that were also different.

It's such a subjective question I asked, totally cool that there will be many opinions :)
    Whatever it’s like, I miss music videos.  The good ones.

Not to sidetrack the thread but Jeremy, smells like teen spirit etc.  we’re all part of  that brief time when a music video was a stand alone piece of art. And moving toward wildly expensive production etc  

probably peaked right around Korn “freak on a leash”
    soundgarden black hole sun was great too, tool had some great ones as well.  

music videos were probably as important as the music in the 90’s. I wish we had that back 

jeremy in particular has aged very well and it’s just as relevant today or maybe more so. Not sure that’s a good thing that that’s timeless. Without the video the song is less of a gut punch 
    edited September 2022
    JH6056 said:

Not to sidetrack the thread but Jeremy, smells like teen spirit etc.  we’re all part of  that brief time when a music video was a stand alone piece of art. And moving toward wildly expensive production etc  

music videos were probably as important as the music in the 90’s. I wish we had that back 

jeremy in particular has aged very well and it’s just as relevant today or maybe more so. Not sure that’s a good thing that that’s timeless
    Very true, there was a respect for music videos as art form then. Black Hole Sun was a brilliant one. And Teen Spirit for its simplicity yet actual tangible raw energy as a video. I don't think I've ever seen Freak on a Leash, I'll check that one out.

Yeah, something happened later in the 90s where the artsy angle dropped and it was so much more about how slick and sexy everyone could look. Even sorta arty themes had to still be sexy.  Humor is still a common theme but now most bands and videos try too hard.

Now... no joke, I was watching a Reggaeton music channel (my musical tastes range far & wide) but there was a video where the singer/rapper dude is all tricked out but he spends a lot of the video in front of a WALL OF BUTTS. Like, it's clear because they move, it's a wall with just barely enough cut out space for women to insert their bare butts from the other side and sorta twerk them but that's ALL you see. Never mind how uncomfortable that had to be for an entire videoshoot, but WOW... talk about art leaving the building!  And it definitely wasn't meant to be funny.  

Post edited by JH6056 on
  • JH6056 said:

jeremy in particular has aged very well and it’s just as relevant today or maybe more so. Not sure that’s a good thing that that’s timeless. Without the video the song is less of a gut punch 
    Black Hole sun was a great video?  They threw that together quickly because of the sharp rise in popularity of the song.

All the TOOL videos are done by their guitarist Adam, he was a special effects person before TOOL took off.

Last great music videos I can remember were Movies and Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm.  Those were great.  I liked Linkin Parks One Step closer, Come to Daddy by Aphex Twin and Enemy by Sevendust.

The last 15 years for music videos isn't all that great.  Fun to watch but nothing crazy anymore.
    Black Hole Sun may have been thrown together as a video last minute, but the imagery is PERFECT for what it's about! The little girl roasting her barbie? The woman on the treadmill with the beefcake guy doing push ups? The way their eyes all get crazy and they all melt/get pulled up?  It may have been done on a serious budget but it looks great to me, just saw it the other day and was impressed all over again.

Maybe my bar is a lot lower than yours ;)

Tool videos are in a class by themselves. I saw a System of a Down video the other day that I thought was a Tool video at first, some similar visuals but more real people than most Tool videos I've seen.

Will have to check Come to Daddy & Enemy, I don't think I've ever seen those.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    GlowGirl said:
    Yeah 

bush, no doubt, goo goo dolls  was the first concert I went to without my parents . Album was out for sure so probably 1995 

it was supporting sixteen stone, a boy named goo, and tragic kingdom as I remember most of the songs being from that.
    I saw that same tour in Detroit. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • JH6056 said:
    Black Hole Sun may have been thrown together as a video last minute, but the imagery is PERFECT for what it's about! The little girl roasting her barbie? The woman on the treadmill with the beefcake guy doing push ups? The way their eyes all get crazy and they all melt/get pulled up?  It may have been done on a serious budget but it looks great to me, just saw it the other day and was impressed all over again.

Tool videos are in a class by themselves. I saw a System of a Down video the other day that I thought was a Tool video at first, some similar visuals but more real people than most Tool videos I've seen.

I, for the record, do not like the song nor the video for Black Hole Sun...  I'm in a very large minority, I know.

You should be scared by one of them and the enjoy the other, lol.  Can't wait for your take.
  • JH6056 said:

I, for the record, do not like the song nor the video for Black Hole Sun...  I'm in a very large minority, I know.

You should be scared by one of them and the enjoy the other, lol.  Can't wait for your take.
    I haven’t seen it since high school probably 

it’s hard to deny to a teenager in the 90’s it was pretty cool and weird 

looking at it today I may feel different 
    JH6056 said:

That's actually what surprised me - looking at it today, I think I liked it even MORE than in the 90s. Same with No Doubt's "Just A Girl" video.  Even though I was technically an adult when those came out, I feel like I get the symbolism a bit more or appreciate the message more than then.
  • JH6056 said:

19 and didn't care for it, lol.  Kickstand was on one of my Playstaion games Road Rash so I heard that all the time.  Fell on and Day I Tried were my favs off that album.
    edited October 2022
    Tempo I had to come back today because I saw Black Hole Sun video again, and yeah, I actually LOVE it! Love the whole concept of asking this "black hole sun" to come and wash away all the frightening robotic cookie cutter values taking over.  

But also loved little touches, like the girl in pink who does a "Bee Girl" little dance (Blind Melon reference of course) and then it cuts to bees, then cuts to a beekeeper on the ground with his mask half off, clearly dead... There are a lot of good cultural references in there.

Not trying to convince you or change your mind, but had to come back to tell you what else I like about it =)

They also played Hunger Strike & Epic. Thinking Epic & Black Hole Sun was same director, going to look that up now... [Update:] No, different directors. But the timing is right, Blind Melon's "No Rain" video with the Bee Girl came out in '92; Black Hole Sun video in '94.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
    edited October 2022
    I totally forgot about that blind melon video.  I need to watch No Rain now 

bee girl was probably the original meme before memes were a thing 
    I totally forgot about that blind melon video.  I need to watch No Rain now 

bee girl was probably the original meme before memes were a thing 
    True dat!
  • JH6056 said:
    Tempo I had to come back today because I saw Black Hole Sun video again, and yeah, I actually LOVE it! Love the whole concept of asking this "black hole sun" to come and wash away all the frightening robotic cookie cutter values taking over.  

But also loved little touches, like the girl in pink who does a "Bee Girl" little dance (Blind Melon reference of course) and then it cuts to bees, then cuts to a beekeeper on the ground with his mask half off, clearly dead... There are a lot of good cultural references in there.

Not trying to convince you or change your mind, but had to come back to tell you what else I like about it =)

They also played Hunger Strike & Epic. Thinking Epic & Black Hole Sun was same director, going to look that up now... [Update:] No, different directors. But the timing is right, Blind Melon's "No Rain" video with the Bee Girl came out in '92; Black Hole Sun video in '94.
    Because of my dislike of the song I am jaded on the video too, lol.
    JH6056 said:

It's ok Tempo, we all have our flaws ;)  Sorry, I mean hey, it's subjective, to each their own =)
  • JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:

It's ok Tempo, we all have our flaws ;)  Sorry, I mean hey, it's subjective, to each their own =)
    This and Don't Speak by No Doubt are very high on my cringe list...
    edited October 2022
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:

I'm far less inclined to defend "Don't Speak", as a song or a video. So that's not a flaw in my book :lol:
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited October 2022
    Gavin made a comment on Much Music's Intimate and Interactive that he is a much bigger fan of Nirvana than Pearl Jam
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Gavin made a comment on Much Music's Intimate and Interactive that he is a much bigger fan of Nirvana than Pearl Jam
    I believe that, listening to the sound of Bush. I also still believe he watched a lot of music videos in general (who didn't in those days), and was very impacted by PJ at least for the video I saw. I haven't re-watched other Bush videos from then, but there was so much "PJ Aesthetic" in the video I did watch.
    edited October 2022
    That makes sense

I swear there is a Dave Grohl interview somewhere where he basically says if you remove the vocals, sixteen stone is  nevermind 

hopefully someone knows what I’m referring to. Someone said it and my recollection is that it was Dave 

• Gavin made a comment on Much Music's Intimate and Interactive that he is a much bigger fan of Nirvana than Pearl Jam
    I think a lot of us were back then.  I know I was.
  • JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:

I'm far less inclined to defend "Don't Speak", as a song or a video. So that's not a flaw in my book :lol:
    Black Hole Sun never made it on my radar.  Too slow and didn't have that punch like Blow Up did.
    edited October 2022
    I definitely was. I had a visceral reaction to first hearing the whole Nevermind album that I'd never had to an album before. Literally jumping & slamming all over my room without ever having seen a video showing that.

My story is funny, a guy I totally had a crush on at school in '91 handed me his Nevermind cd and said "Listen to this". I did, I was floored, and he said "Nirvana is playing in town next week, you should go." The show was long sold out, but I went to enough shows at that theater that the door people knew me and often let me slide in if there were no tix left.  The day of the Nirvana show as I walked up alone towards the theater, the door people saw me and started shaking their heads "No!!" and I walked up and they were like "No, not tonight. Crazy sold out." So I just said that's cool, totally understand, and was hanging with them as they worked and people-watching this sold out Fall '91 audience as they arrived (L7 was opening, what a show!).

Then the Fire Marshall showed up, with 3 fully geared up firemen in tow, they exchanged a few greetings & words with doormen, and started to walk in. The doormen looked at me and jerked their heads, and I was like "What?" and they looked at the firemen, then me, and jerked their heads again and I was like "Follow them??" and I didn't think anymore, just jumped in right behind the firemen and literally followed the Fire Marshall, past the ticket takers, into the VERY crowded theater, as he inspected for over-crowding, I made my way to balcony and overcrowded up there and had the most amazing view of an amazing show.

And that friend who gave me the cd and told me to go? He used to work with bands and had worked with Dave Grohl's band Scream before he was in Nirvana. He caught up with Grohl during hte day and was backstage for soundcheck, then said "I'm going for a walk". Dave was like "Um, you may not want to leave, I don't know if I can get you in again" and my friend was like "Oh it's cool, I'll get in"  Well he got back to the theater later and could NOT get in, ended up having to scalp a ticket outside for too much money!! I was like "Only YOU would LEAVE backstage at a Nirvana concert because you felt like taking a freaking walk..."

Either that Dec or the next one I saw Nirvana with the Breeders & Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy (Michael Franti's first and most amazing band). Phenomenal show. Ed Vedder was there walking around, but I didn't see him, my friends did.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
    edited October 2022
    Ooops ignore, accidental post
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • JH6056 said:
    I definitely was. I had a visceral reaction to first hearing the whole Nevermind album that I'd never had to an album before. Literally jumping & slamming all over my room without ever having seen a video showing that.

My story is funny, a guy I totally had a crush on at school in '91 handed me his Nevermind cd and said "Listen to this". I did, I was floored, and he said "Nirvana is playing in town next week, you should go." The show was long sold out, but I went to enough shows at that theater that the door people knew me and often let me slide in if there were no tix left.  The day of the Nirvana show as I walked up alone towards the theater, the door people saw me and started shaking their heads "No!!" and I walked up and they were like "No, not tonight. Crazy sold out." So I just said that's cool, totally understand, and was hanging with them as they worked and people-watching this sold out Fall '91 audience as they arrived (L7 was opening, what a show!).

Then the Fire Marshall showed up, with 3 fully geared up firemen in tow, they exchanged a few greetings & words with doormen, and started to walk in. The doormen looked at me and jerked their heads, and I was like "What?" and they looked at the firemen, then me, and jerked their heads again and I was like "Follow them??" and I didn't think anymore, just jumped in right behind the firemen and literally followed the Fire Marshall, past the ticket takers, into the VERY crowded theater, as he inspected for over-crowding, I made my way to balcony and overcrowded up there and had the most amazing view of an amazing show.

And that friend who gave me the cd and told me to go? He used to work with bands and had worked with Dave Grohl's band Scream before he was in Nirvana. He caught up with Grohl during hte day and was backstage for soundcheck, then said "I'm going for a walk". Dave was like "Um, you may not want to leave, I don't know if I can get you in again" and my friend was like "Oh it's cool, I'll get in"  Well he got back to the theater later and could NOT get in, ended up having to scalp a ticket outside for too much money!! I was like "Only YOU would LEAVE backstage at a Nirvana concert because you felt like taking a freaking walk..."

Either that Dec or the next one I saw Nirvana with the Breeders & Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy (Michael Franti's first and most amazing band). Phenomenal show. Ed Vedder was there walking around, but I didn't see him, my friends did.
    I was listening to Soundgarden before Nirvana actually.  I remember being excited that an issue of REFLEX had a flexi record of them in it.  90-91 were some really eye opening years.