The Guitar Accessory Thread

bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
edited May 2022 in Musicians and Gearheads
I didn't want to create a thread just for a guitar strap so I figured I would create a thread where we can post about accessories.  

D'Addario Auto Lock Guitar Strap - Skater Grey | Sweetwater

I didn't know a guitar strap like this existed.  I've bought strap locks where you had to screw in new buttons but this strap requires none of that.  Perhaps not as strong as a regular strap lock but I like it for home use at least as i'm not running around the apartment like a rock star and also don't need to buy locks for every guitar.   I've had two broken necks (guitar, not me) before so I like having strap locks.

You all may know but just passing on the info.  

Edit:  One reviewer said the strap damaged the finish on his Les Paul.   Relic job!
Post edited by bootlegger10 on

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    i used something similar about 15 years ago. i cannot for the life of me remember the manufacturer though. it worked well, but the plastic housing on the locking part of the strap rubbed finish away from one of my les pauls that i used to own, so i stopped using the strap and went back to straplocks. the one you posted looks like it may not do that, so hopefully it works well for you and does not damage the finish.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    i used something similar about 15 years ago. i cannot for the life of me remember the manufacturer though. it worked well, but the plastic housing on the locking part of the strap rubbed finish away from one of my les pauls that i used to own, so i stopped using the strap and went back to straplocks. the one you posted looks like it may not do that, so hopefully it works well for you and does not damage the finish.
    I did read one post where it said it damaged the finish on a Les Paul.   I will edit my first post.
    I did read one post where it said it damaged the finish on a Les Paul.   I will edit my first post.
    this is what i had. you can compare the locking mechanism between the two and you can see how the planet waves can wear away finish as the strap pivots on the strap button. the d'addario looks to have a better and safer design.

https://www.flatpick.com/product_p/3052.htm
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I use the Dunlop straplocks and never had any trouble with them. Years ago, I let a friend borrow my Les Paul Standard for a show and she dropped it. She hadn't slipped the strap all the way over the button and it came off mid performance. That resulted in the headstock breaking off. 

After that all of my guitars get straplocks and I am much more careful about letting people borrow stuff.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:
    I use the Dunlop straplocks and never had any trouble with them. Years ago, I let a friend borrow my Les Paul Standard for a show and she dropped it. She hadn't slipped the strap all the way over the button and it came off mid performance. That resulted in the headstock breaking off. 

After that all of my guitars get straplocks and I am much more careful about letting people borrow stuff.
    oh man that is terrible. sorry to hear that. when i broke my LP standard headstock it fell over in the case and broke off. 

i have always used schaller strap locks and haven't had any issues other than having to put a shim in the strap button component once, and having a washer fall off of the strap once.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    This is one of the best investments I've made for playing ...

Roc n Soc "drum throne" chair and backrest go for around $300, but it is a super solid chair.  I use it in my studio for everything including PC work.  The lift works fast and stays locked in position with a little shock absorption.   Swivel is smooth.  And it is great for tight spaces.

20 years ago I would have laughed at spending money on a chair ... my back thanks me for this.  Add a $15 foot rest and you are ergonomically set for long playing sessions.
    I have a couple of those in my studio room too. They are terrific.
    PSA on Deals

I got another one of those drum thrones because they are so comfortable and I decided to move my amp out of my studio into a larger room.  I was about to order online thru Guitar Center, and before clicking buy, I noticed a call-in number for deals so I made a call and they offered me 17% off.  I said, "hey, i saw the ad for call in deals, what can you do on the drum throne?' ... waited two minutes in silence and then they offered $45 off and I closed the deal.  They didn't try any gimmick stuff and the call ended after a thanks.

I know Sweetwater is advertising 10% deals if you call in.  I'm going to try tomorrow to see if I can get a deal on a Strymon Deco V2.  They say Strymon doesn't allow discounts, but it is worth a try for something that is almost $400.  Apparently GC isn't a Strymon dealer.

Forums say Musician Friends is offering 20-25% off.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited September 2022
    Thanks for the info.  The boom is busting?  

I guess after discounts we are paying 2020 rates?  Ha.
    Thanks for the info.  The boom is busting?  

I guess after discounts we are paying 2020 rates?  Ha.

Ha, I was thinking the same thing with the "discount".  Just getting a little back to reality.  But the reality of the vendors is that demand went away just as the manufacturers were dumping inventory on them. 

I left a voicemail with my sweetwater guy on the Strymon but have yet to hear back.
    Back to thread ... I decided I'm done with the cheap guitar stands that the retailers sell and went on Etsy and just ordered this  hand crafted guitar stand in walnut ...

There are lots of different options on Etsy for custom wood cradles.  There were a few others I was considering but I had a good conversation with the seller / craftsman and really liked the design and considerations for keeping load off the neck as much as possible.  Price was fair too.

I was looking at pedal boards the other night.  There are much nicer options than the standard stuff on GC and sweetwater.
    I rolled the dice on a custom pedal board.  It should be self contained once I add a power supply distribution, a MIDI splitter and a USB splitter.  I added 5-pin MIDI and USB jacks and enough TS/TSR jacks to run a FX loop to my amp from either side.  There is loop tape on the top and a slight incline.   It is made from baltic pine and comes in different sizes, but I chatted with the guy on custom setup and I think he could make a custom size.  I went with a sea foam green on the finish.

I have a Holey Board pedal board which in theory is awesome, but I decided zip-ties were not for me and wanted something cleaner.  I should be able to just plug my guitar and amp cables in, turn on the power switch and be ready to go.

(pics are from seller's site)

Should take a month to build.  The price was reasonable.  They start at around $300.  Adding jacks is $10 each which is cheaper than I can buy myself.
    Jason P said:
    I rolled the dice on a custom pedal board.  It should be self contained once I add a power supply distribution, a MIDI splitter and a USB splitter.  I added 5-pin MIDI and USB jacks and enough TS/TSR jacks to run a FX loop to my amp from either side.  There is loop tape on the top and a slight incline.   It is made from baltic pine and comes in different sizes, but I chatted with the guy on custom setup and I think he could make a custom size.  I went with a sea foam green on the finish.

I have a Holey Board pedal board which in theory is awesome, but I decided zip-ties were not for me and wanted something cleaner.  I should be able to just plug my guitar and amp cables in, turn on the power switch and be ready to go.

(pics are from seller's site)

Should take a month to build.  The price was reasonable.  They start at around $300.  Adding jacks is $10 each which is cheaper than I can buy myself.
    That's awesome! Please post pics when it arrives. 
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    I just bought a Peterson clip on strobe tuner. I didn't even know they existed in clip-on form until a guitar tech who was working on my Jazzmaster used one. I even sprung for the case!
    I smile, but who am I kidding...