Options

Gibson guitars - probably a dumb question

I have been looking for and trying to buy a Gibson SJ-200 Original in Vintage Sunburst for pretty much the last 3 years and no one ever has them in stock - Gibson, Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, etc... While on vacation a few weeks ago I randomly looked at Gibson's website and saw there was an option to add to cart...I foolishly waited until I got back home and when I brought the page back up it went back to "Out of Stock"...

Anyway, are these things always so impossibly difficult to get? Does it require just getting lucky and hitting the website at the right time? I have never bought a new guitar straight from Gibson, so don't really know...as the title says, this might be a really dumb question - and I'm ok with that and looking like an idiot...

I've just been lusting after this guitar for a few years now and am trying to get a better handle on how to go about obtaining said guitar while leveling my expectations in doing so. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited August 2022
    I have been looking for and trying to buy a Gibson SJ-200 Original in Vintage Sunburst for pretty much the last 3 years and no one ever has them in stock - Gibson, Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, etc... While on vacation a few weeks ago I randomly looked at Gibson's website and saw there was an option to add to cart...I foolishly waited until I got back home and when I brought the page back up it went back to "Out of Stock"...

Anyway, are these things always so impossibly difficult to get? Does it require just getting lucky and hitting the website at the right time? I have never bought a new guitar straight from Gibson, so don't really know...as the title says, this might be a really dumb question - and I'm ok with that and looking like an idiot...

I've just been lusting after this guitar for a few years now and am trying to get a better handle on how to go about obtaining said guitar while leveling my expectations in doing so. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    If you have a local music shop that sells guitars, and this can even be a chain, I'd head in, talk to the folks working in the guitar section about this. More likely than not, they'll keep an eye out for you and call you when one pops up for sale. 

If you can't go local, the sales staff at Sweetwater is very helpful with stuff like this. You could simply add this one to your cart (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OCJB20VS--gibson-acoustic-sj-200-original-vintage-sunburst) and go through with a purchase, and someone from Sweetwater will call you right away with an estimate of when they expect to get them in stock.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Thanks! Never bought a new guitar that I couldn't just walk into a shop, take off the wall, play it for a bit, and then pull the trigger - so this one has kind of thrown me for a loop.  Appreciate the insight/suggestion!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,528
    edited August 2022
    Thanks! Never bought a new guitar that I couldn't just walk into a shop, take off the wall, play it for a bit, and then pull the trigger - so this one has kind of thrown me for a loop.  Appreciate the insight/suggestion!
    FYI - I ordered an SJ200 Standard back in November 2020 from Sweetwater.  That model was discontinued so I changed it to an SJ200 Original on 3/15/21.  Still waiting...  I've thought about just letting it go since I got a few other acoustics since then, but the pricing I will buy at is $650 less than the current pricing!

You can reserve at Sweetwater and always cancel if you want.  
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Watch local ads and Reverb for deals.  On Reverb, there is a new one in Ohio.  And a used one in Atlanta for $1K less.  If I'm looking at the right guitar, it is beautiful.

I don't know if I would be comfortable spending that much on Reverb, but if you are within driving distance of the seller, it may work out.  Also, there seem to be very good deals popping up on Craigslist so check every once in a while.  I missed out on a Fender Custom Shop a few weeks ago that was over $2K under retail, but another one popped up that is TEMPTING me :disappointed:

• Options
    FYI - I ordered an SJ200 Standard back in November 2020 from Sweetwater.  That model was discontinued so I changed it to an SJ200 Original on 3/15/21.  Still waiting...  I've thought about just letting it go since I got a few other acoustics since then, but the pricing I will buy at is $650 less than the current pricing!

You can reserve at Sweetwater and always cancel if you want.  

Very good to know - thanks so much!
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Watch local ads and Reverb for deals.  On Reverb, there is a new one in Ohio.  And a used one in Atlanta for $1K less.  If I'm looking at the right guitar, it is beautiful.

I don't know if I would be comfortable spending that much on Reverb, but if you are within driving distance of the seller, it may work out.  Also, there seem to be very good deals popping up on Craigslist so check every once in a while.  I missed out on a Fender Custom Shop a few weeks ago that was over $2K under retail, but another one popped up that is TEMPTING me :disappointed:

Yeah...I'm kind of hesitant to go used here (probably stupid on my part) unless I can play it first.  I feel like through Gibson direct or Sweetwater I could return if it didn't meet expectations...would hate to drop $5k on a guitar and be left holding the bag if it wasn't as good as advertised...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Jason P said:

Yeah...I'm kind of hesitant to go used here (probably stupid on my part) unless I can play it first.  I feel like through Gibson direct or Sweetwater I could return if it didn't meet expectations...would hate to drop $5k on a guitar and be left holding the bag if it wasn't as good as advertised...

Go with Sweetwater.  They have been great on returns.  They took back an amp for full refund 45 days after purchase (i did take it in to the store).  I probably swapped out $3K worth of gear and as long as it passes an inspection you get full refund quick and they are nice about it.

But yeah, for that much money, get it in your hands and make sure it sings
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,528
    I would go with the burgundy/wine red SJ200.  I would do that but don't want to lose the $650 2020 pricing level and add even more time.  Natural finish is pretty good too.  
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,880

Thanks!
    Where are you located? I have one that I'd be willing to part with. Pretty much as new condition. Bought it a few years ago and just played it at home. Message me.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2