Just got my voting card! (SWEDISH ELECTION 2022)

Got my voting card in the mail. 

A voting card is automatically sent out to every citizen of this Country. Yes, including people in jail because their citizenship has not been stripped from them so they are citizens.

We will cast three ballots, as in there being three elections: The National one for the Parliament, the County Councils (runs e.g. hospitals) in and the local Municipalities.

From now and until September 11, I can walk to any voting place with my voting card and my ID and place my vote. So I have a bit over 3 weeks to do so.
I can ofc also go on election day, which many chooses to do out of tradition.

The election is always held on the second Sunday in September. Sunday being the day most people are free from work.

87% of the population voted in the last election in 2018.

BRIEF SUMMARY OF WHERE WE STAND:
We have 8 parties in our parliament. During the last election campaign they were separate into two blocks:

The left leaning - "The Red and Green Block"
S (Social Democrats)
V (The Left Party)
MP (The Green Party)

The right leaning - "The Alliance"
L (The Liberals)
C (The Center party)
KD (The Christian Demcorats)
M (The Conservatives)

And we also have a far-right party originating from Neo-Nazism SD (The Sweden Democrats), which until this election no party wanted (or dared due to public backlash) to work with. 

Due to no block getting a majority because of the racist SD getting so many votes there was an unprecedented hassle to get a government formed. In the end, "The Alliance" shattered and The Social Democrats formed a government with The Green Party - supported by The Liberals, The Center party and The Left Party. 

During these four years the hunger for power, and the acceptance by the population of far-right and climate-change denying shit all the parties of the former "The Alliance" have accepted to work with The Swedish Democrats - outside of The Center Party that refuses and therefore has been pushed to the other "block". 

So here is how everything is leading up to the last three weeks before the election:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Do you have to drop it off?  Can you put it in the mail?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600

A voting card is automatically sent out to every citizen of this Country. Yes, including people in jail because their citizenship has not been stripped from them so they are citizens.

We will cast three ballots, as in there being three elections: The National one for the Parliament, the County Councils (runs e.g. hospitals) in and the local Municipalities.

From now and until September 11, I can walk to any voting place with my voting card and my ID and place my vote. So I have a bit over 3 weeks to do so.

The election is always held on the second Sunday in September. Sunday being the day most people are free from work.

We have 8 parties in our parliament. During the last election campaign they were separate into two blocks:

S (Social Democrats)
    V (The Left Party)
    MP (The Green Party)

L (The Liberals)
    C (The Center party)
    M (The Conservatives)

And we also have a far-right party originating from Neo-Nazism SD (The Sweden Democrats), which until this election no party wanted (or dared due to public backlash) to work with. 

Due to no block getting a majority because of the racist SD getting so many votes there was an unprecedented hassle to get a government formed. In the end, "The Alliance" shattered and The Social Democrats formed a government with The Green Party - supported by The Liberals, The Center party and The Left Party. 

During these four years the hunger for power, and the acceptance by the population of far-right and climate-change denying shit all the parties of the former "The Alliance" have accepted to work with The Swedish Democrats - outside of The Center Party that refuses and therefore has been pushed to the other "block". 

So here is how everything is leading up to the last three weeks before the election:

Voting is a right that can't be stripped?  What a bunch of hippies! 
  • Do you have to drop it off?  Can you put it in the mail?
    To my knowledge we have no mailvoting. Except for if you live abroad. Then there are some special rules with having to have witnesses sign the envelope or something. 

But if you can't drop it off for some reason, you can have someone drop it off for you (having to show their own and your ID) or you can have someone come and collect the ballots I think. In some special cases.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The voter turnout is enviable. I wonder if that speaks more to the citizens or to the system in place, or to a combo of both/other aspects. 
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    mrussel1 said:

S (Social Democrats)
    V (The Left Party)
    MP (The Green Party)

L (The Liberals)
    C (The Center party)
    M (The Conservatives)

Voting is a right that can't be stripped?  What a bunch of hippies! 
    Hahaha hippies…

Swedish civics class!  I love learning stuff like this from the people who actually live where they talk about.  So many post about how shitty the US is we hardly hear about other countries.  
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    What is it like to live in a real democracy?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:
    You did see they have to have an id and can’t mail in the votes….
    hippiemom = goodness
    static111 said:
    Doesn't seem like a huge deal breaker considered imprisoned people still retain the right to vote and it appears you can have others drop the ballot off or have it collected.  @Spiritual_Chaos how hard is it to turn your ballot in and or get an ID?
    Scio me nihil scire

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    Ballot harvesting? That’s crazy!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    Doesn't seem like a huge deal breaker considered imprisoned people still retain the right to vote and it appears you can have others drop the ballot off or have it collected.  @Spiritual_Chaos how hard is it to turn your ballot in and or get an ID?
    I’m not saying deal breaker. Seems great overall. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2022
    static111 said:
    You can vote without an ID, if someone with an ID is present to assert your identity.

But I don't see why having an ID would be an issue. Never met a person above 18 who doesn't have an ID (Passport, driver's licence or a "national ID card"? You even need one to prove your age when buying alcohol or when you pick up a package at the post office...

Is this some libertarian thing?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    static111 said:
    You can vote without an ID, if someone with an ID is present to assert your identity.

But I don't see why having an ID would be an issue. Never met a person above 18 who doesn't have an ID (Passport, driver's licence or a "national ID card"? You even need one to prove your age when buying alcohol or when you pick up a package at the post office...

In the US some claim that requiring ID is a form of a poll tax that can deny some Americans the chance to vote.
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:

No I’m ok with it. In the US it’s a liberal thing…
    hippiemom = goodness
  • static111 said:

Is the everyday need of an ID not prelevant in the US?
  • I was at the Left Party’s leader’s summer speech here in Gothenburg yesterday. 

Their big issues in this election are:
    - Forbid companies from running schools for profit. 
    - Stop the privatization of our health care system and build up our healthcare with more personel. 
    - invest to battle climate change

static111 said:

Is the everyday need of an ID not prelevant in the US?
    Pretty much is for the large majority. The concerns from those against requiring an ID is that the poor do not have one…they have no car so no need for drivers license and that is the most common form of id for us.  So requiring an ID is requiring the poor to pay for an ID card and that is $ they don’t have. And, as someone mentioned, they believe it to be a poll tax…making someone pay $ to vote.

hippiemom = goodness
    For reference in Texas a non Driver License ID cost $6-$16 depending on age and renewal status and is good for 6 years. So a cost of $2.67 a year.  Texas also has a no fee Election Identification Card, so the only real cost there is getting to a DMV location and submitting your application which could cause lost wages or other financial hardship.
    Scio me nihil scire

There's no law,  on any books that I'm aware,  that requires citizens to carry ID. So that's why it causes consternation in voting.  However,  voting laws are typically delegated to the states under the tenth amendment.  So there's no doubt they are constitutional,  UNLESS,  they are designed to disenfranchise under the Voting Rights Act,  which is where all of these arguments revolve. 
    mrussel1 said:
    There's no law,  on any books that I'm aware,  that requires citizens to carry ID. So that's why it causes consternation in voting.  However,  voting laws are typically delegated to the states under the tenth amendment.  So there's no doubt they are constitutional,  UNLESS,  they are designed to disenfranchise under the Voting Rights Act,  which is where all of these arguments revolve. 
    I honestly think it’s just a situation where we have to stop being stupid and discussing all the reasons we shouldn’t…and just figure out how to do it. It shouldn’t be terribly difficult. We just have leaders that like to use stupid stuff like this to drive voters. 

Anyhow - I saw that as an interesting difference between Sweden and the USA here.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    mrussel1 said:
    I honestly think it’s just a situation where we have to stop being stupid and discussing all the reasons we shouldn’t…and just figure out how to do it. It shouldn’t be terribly difficult. We just have leaders that like to use stupid stuff like this to drive voters. 

Anyhow - I saw that as an interesting difference between Sweden and the USA here.
    Agree.  We need countrywide voting regulations.  When you turn 18 you’re required to register to vote and get ID right then.  Older non registered handle like the census.  Transportation to and from facilities.  Charge both sides to equally split the cost.  Lots of ideas but it definitely needs fixed.  
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    mrussel1 said:

history has a long memory.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Why would one have to ”register to vote” ?
    Why would one have to ”register to vote” ?

proving eligibilty? sizable portion of the residents here are non-citizens of one type or another.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited August 2022
    mickeyrat said:

proving eligibilty? sizable portion of the residents here are non-citizens of one type or another.
    In Sweden every citizen automaticall get a voting card sent to them. The portion that are non-citizens therefore do not get one. 

Seems like a better way than to create an unessascary hurdle for the citizens. 
    mickeyrat said:

In Sweden every citizen automaticall get a voting card sent to them. The portion that are non-citizens therefore do not get one. 

Swedens population is roughly equal to Ohio, my state at 11 million give or take. Theres another 320 million people here...

Local elections can be at a very micro level.  We vote for school boards,  sheriff's,  etc. So knowing someone's precise address is important to that. It also tells you where to vote.  But you register once with your state and then just update addressee thereafter 
  • mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Swedens population is roughly equal to Ohio, my state at 11 million give or take. Theres another 320 million people here...

And there's more people in Sweden than on Iceland. And less then in Spain.

I would image the US authorities and services are scaled to the population? Or do you run a e.g. post office in the US fitted for a Swedish population but servicing 331 million people?
    edited August 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    Local elections can be at a very micro level.  We vote for school boards,  sheriff's,  etc. So knowing someone's precise address is important to that. It also tells you where to vote.  But you register once with your state and then just update addressee thereafter 
    Knowing someones precise address is needed for being able to send out "voting cards" (don't know what it would be called in english). It is sent to the address linked to you in the... *googling* "civil registry". On the voting cards it tells you where to vote (or rather, what your specific local voting place is located - but you are able to vote at any voting place except for on election day where you have to vote at your designated location). You also do not have to have your voting card with you, you can vote with just your ID.

You don't have a "civil registry" in the states?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    mrussel1 said:
    Knowing someones precise address is needed for being able to send out "voting cards" (don't know what it would be called in english). It is sent to the address linked to you in the... *googling* "civil registry". On the voting cards it tells you where to vote (or rather, what your specific local voting place is located - but you are able to vote at any voting place except for on election day where you have to vote at your designated location). You also do not have to have your voting card with you, you can vote with just your ID.

You don't have a "civil registry" in the states?
    No.  It sounds like the civil registry is similar to our voter registry. Until you're 18, the govt really doesn't have any information on you in a centralized way. You're not required to register for school since home schooling is legal.  Nor are you required to get a social security number.  The first obligation is only for men,  and that's registering for the draft at 18.
  • Okey, in Sweden you are registered to an address. And if you move, you notify the tax agency the new address. This also makes all the mail to come to the right address - from your bank, the tax agency etc -- because they pull it from this civil registry. I would imagine kids are automatically registered on the address of their legal guardian is. 

So, if you move in the US you have to contact every agency that send mail your new address manually?

In Sweden you get a social security number at birth - YYMMDD-XXX 

Sounds medieval to not have one... haha... 

(please don't ban me for that last comment Kat)