My Living Organ Donor Story

13»

Comments

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    My condolences to you and your family @1ThoughtKnown.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,711
    My thoughts are truely  with you and your bro.  
    I wish nobody  ever had to go through this terrible time. Love  rob.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,770
    Very upsetting to read this update.  Please know that you did give your BiL and his family more time together.  Cancer is going to do what cancer does.  What you did was selfless . . . you gave the gift of life.   None of us live forever, every second you gave him was a gift to the family.  God bless you and yours.  
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Very upsetting to read this update.  Please know that you did give your BiL and his family more time together.  Cancer is going to do what cancer does.  What you did was selfless . . . you gave the gift of life.   None of us live forever, every second you gave him was a gift to the family.  God bless you and yours.  
    Thank you (and everyone else) for such kind and thoughtful words. Please believe it means a lot. 
    edited February 2022
    It has been just over 4 months since my brother-in-law Steve passed away.  Seems like a lifetime ago with the pandemic hitting Canada just as we arrived back in Calgary after he passed.  Anyone else who has lost a loved one during these tumultuous times can attest, it’s as if your grieving process has been paused. The human condition to protect oneself during times of uncertainty? Compartmentalize, if you will.

But my heart aches for the family. My wife. My sister-in-law. My niece and nephew. My in-laws.  In particular, my nephew (16 years-old) is to begin university studies at Stanford in September (yes, he is very gifted with an exceptional work ethic and drive like his father). 

Anyways, I posted here again to help heal. Thanks for reading 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Sending your family much love.  I imagine that the grieving process has been very difficult and surreal for you and your family.  (((Hugs)))
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,711
    edited July 2020
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'll always feel a connection to you because of this particular wondrous and precious organ.

While I hope a transplant isn't in my future, we all know that life does what it does - sometimes unfairly.

Thank you for spreading the message of need, and of kindness.

It's so important, so appreciated.  I hope it's heeded.

My best thoughts to you, your family, and of Steve's impacts on this world.
    @Fifthelement - you are very kind and thank you. Your kind words are so appreciated.

@lastexitlondon - ❤️ 

@hedonist - I wish you much health and happiness. Should you ever need a living donor (I hope you don’t), I will do whatever I can to spread the word 😎
    So many people just don’t understand what they can do to make a difference, and how rewarding it could be. Unfortunately it did not work for us.... but I would do it all over again hoping for a difficult result. 
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    I hadn't seen this thread until today. Please know that I am truly sorry for the loss of your brother-in-law. I am in awe of people who can give of themselves so selflessly. It really was such a great thing you did for him. Not only to possibly give him a few more months, but to also connect with him and let him know that he was loved. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
    I hadn't seen this thread until today. Please know that I am truly sorry for the loss of your brother-in-law. I am in awe of people who can give of themselves so selflessly. It really was such a great thing you did for him. Not only to possibly give him a few more months, but to also connect with him and let him know that he was loved. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Hey thanks for the kind words 👍. It’s been a rollercoaster for sure... but we must soldier on. He is with us every step of the way 😔
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited July 2022
    I just stumbled upon this thread, and man, @1ThoughtKnown, I'm truly sorry this happened. I was so hopeful reading the first page. I can't imagine the gut punch it was to you and your family. Very thoughtless of you to do. And you're right, it is a very important message to put out there, to be a donor. 

Love and Light. 

edit: holy crap I just realized I wrote "very thoughtless of you". I think I mashed up "thoughtful" and "selfless". 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited July 2022
    I just stumbled upon this thread, and man, @1ThoughtKnown, I'm truly sorry this happened. I was so hopeful reading the first page. I can't imagine the gut punch it was to you and your family. Very thoughtless of you to do. And you're right, it is a very important message to put out there, to be a donor. 

Love and Light. 
    Thanks for the kind words HFD. I encourage everyone to consider being a donor. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat, even with hindsight knowing it wouldn’t be successful. 
    Revisiting this thread it reminded me of all the kind people in the Forum. This all seems like a lifetime ago, and am still sitting on those Denver GA tix and going on September 22nd. 

Additional thanks to you bumping this old thread, as it reminded me of the timeframe of these events. 
    I will definitely be thinking of my BiL that night. It will probably get quite emotional. If the band plays The End I would probably just break down.  It has been a tough song to listen to for a while now,  as EV’s lyrics just perfectly encapsulates what he must have felt when he knew there was no hope. 

Funny timing — I just finished the first draft of my will and am donating whatever is usable.

Won’t be much, but still :)

Definitely some keepers here. 
    hedonist said:
    Funny timing — I just finished the first draft of my will and am donating whatever is usable.

Hey hedo! I’m so incredibly sorry. I’ve been so caught up in my own shit I forgot to check in on how you are doing? 
    hedonist said:

Hey hedo! I’m so incredibly sorry. I’ve been so caught up in my own shit I forgot to check in on how you are doing? 
    Hey you! No worries at all — life happens.

I’m okay, thanks; finding out next week if I’m truly out of the woods or looking at a not good diagnosis. I think my head’s in a good place to deal with the latter 🙂

I hope you’re well. 
    edited for idiocy above. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited for idiocy above. 
    Lol. I knew what you meant 😎
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

Hey you! No worries at all — life happens.

I’m okay, thanks; finding out next week if I’m truly out of the woods or looking at a not good diagnosis. I think my head’s in a good place to deal with the latter 🙂

I hope you’re well. 
    First of all… good on you for filling out the organ donor portion of your will. 
    Second… I have my fingers crossed and will send positive vibes that you get good news next week! 
    I second that @hedonist. sending good vibes your way. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Thanks, you two.

Sorry to derail!