Options

Just got home from Vienna...some thoughts...

just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,945
edited July 2022 in The Porch
Its 2 am here in portugal, we(wife and i) got home from Vienna, 2 hours delayed flight and still feel devastated after the cancellation on wednesday. I think its gonna stick with me for sometime the image of security saying the show was cancelled and the disbelief in people eyes on what was going on, minutes later i saw adults crying, little kids crying it was an utter desolation place...

It doesnt help the office has posters of the past shows we've been to, we couldnt and didnt want to buy the poster , it would Just bring such a sad memory back and one that now still remains...

We were on the edge yesterday for so many times to pack our bags and go to prague in case the show happenned, thank god we didnt go ahead because the devastation would have been even worse...

All this sadness to come to the conclusion that it doesnt matter if they cant or wont play 2.30/3.00 hour shows or they dont play x or y amount of deep cuts, right now a 1 hour show with a greatest hits setlist would be the greatest show ever...just be happy and grateful they are still playing shows.

It will take sometime to let this feeling go for sure but eventually it will go away i hope...
Post edited by just_one on

Comments

• Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,181
    No matter how cold the winter there’s a springtime ahead 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    JABKJABK Finland Posts: 299
    just_one said:
    Its 2 am here in portugal, we(wife and i) got home from Vienna, 2 hours delayed flight and still feel devastated after the cancellation on wednesday. I think its gonna stick with me for sometime the image of security saying the show was cancelled and the disbelief in people eyes on what was going on, minutes later i saw adults crying, little kids crying it was an utter desolation place...

It doesnt help the office has posters of the past shows we've been to, we couldnt and didnt want to buy the poster , it would Just bring such a sad memory back and one that now still remains...

We were on the edge yesterday for so many times to pack our bags and go to prague in case the show happenned, thank god we didnt go ahead because the devastation would have been even worse...

All this sadness to come to the conclusion that it doesnt matter if they cant or wont play 2.30/3.00 hour shows or they dont play x or y amount of deep cuts, right now a 1 hour show with a greatest hits setlist would be the greatest show ever...just be happy and grateful they are still playing shows.

It will take sometime to let this feeling go for sure but eventually it will go away i hope...
    I feel you brother...got home with my wife to Finland last night from Vienna and this will sting for some time...I was devastated and frustrated when we got to Stadthalle and the show was cancelled. At least we had a wonderful vacation in one of the most beautiful cities in Europe 👍

BUT...I hope they'll return even stronger to Europe next summer and hopefully me and wifey will be able to attend a show then 🤞✌️ Big cheers to everyone who were supposed to see PJ in Vienna or Prague! And hope Eddie gets better soon...we need him and the band in full shape 😎
  • Options
    ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 631
    No matter how cold the winter there’s a springtime ahead 
    I may be thumbing my way back to the States by the end of this mess. 
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    The risk of cancellation and disappointment when you travel long distances to shows and in these times is huge. I always think that if you are going to do it you need to make it a proper holiday/vacation with the added bonus of a show one evening and spend some time in the city and see other attractions. Then if you face the unfortunate situation of cancellation then yes its disappointing but you can still have an enjoyable holiday.

I had a great Vienna seat bought in 2019, flights, hotel near the venue booked, then an upgraded hotel with a pool etc for the kids for the rest of the time. Earlier this year I cancelled my ticket and whole trip from the UK to Vienna. I couldn't get the direct flights I was wanting, things just weren't lining up anymore. The city we ended up going to, PJ played just a few weeks before but we couldn't align our work holidays to it. I had real envy when I read all the reviews.

It's a massive blow to be at a venue when it's cancelled, I had months to come to terms with my disappointment. Hopefully more European shows in the next few years.
  • Options
    browngwbrowngw Posts: 113
    I think the worst part for us us we had a wonderful week of vacation leading up to the shows and to have both canceled at the end of our trip was a kick in the teeth.  We had a blast and made the best of it, but traveling from TX to have both shows canceled was heartbreaking.  
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,718
    I’d be crushed if I was at msg and then it got cancelled. And that’s only 20 minutes away from me. I’m in awe of some of the people here and how they’ve handled themselves because I’d be crushed and stomping my feet like a baby , if I’m being honest. I feel terrible for all parties involved and really hope AM goes on as planned. 
  • Options
    jjm33jjm33 Posts: 195
    I had just gotten through security in Boston, en route to vegas, when word came down about the show being cancelled…

This weekend was supposed to be Newport folk Fest for my wife and I (our annual weekend without the kids), and covid blew it up. 

More and more in the world we are living in, trips to events and shows are a risky proposition. It sucks but seems to be a new reality. 

• Options
    browngwbrowngw Posts: 113
    nicknyr15 said:
    I’d be crushed if I was at msg and then it got cancelled. And that’s only 20 minutes away from me. I’m in awe of some of the people here and how they’ve handled themselves because I’d be crushed and stomping my feet like a baby , if I’m being honest. I feel terrible for all parties involved and really hope AM goes on as planned. 
    When Vienna was canceled I took it pretty well.  When Prague got canceled my stomach dropped.  Took a good few hours and lots of cocktails to get to the point where I wasn’t a miserable baby.  We enjoyed our trip, but planning this trip for over a year, traveling from TX, was going to be the first time to see Pearl Jam in 10 years.  Was just a gut punch.  
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,748
    browngw said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    When Vienna was canceled I took it pretty well.  When Prague got canceled my stomach dropped.  Took a good few hours and lots of cocktails to get to the point where I wasn’t a miserable baby.  We enjoyed our trip, but planning this trip for over a year, traveling from TX, was going to be the first time to see Pearl Jam in 10 years.  Was just a gut punch.  
    I am sorry this happened. So many people devastated from these cancellations and I would assume that includes the band too.
  • Options
    12inchdoc12inchdoc Posts: 36
    browngw said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I completely empathize with you. We had tickets to Imola/Vienna initially then Vienna/Prague. We were traveling from TX with 3 kids, but changed our minds due to Russia/Ukraine and surrounding uncertainty along with Ten Club refund date. Ironically, we secured tickets to Vegas for kids 1st show. We went and made "lemonade", but still was a letdown. I'm so very sorry that y'all and everyone else had to experience this huge disappointment.