Richard Thompson

PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
edited February 2006 in Other Music
Has anyone heard the song Vincent Black Lightning 1952? My friend's dad played it on the acoustic guitar at our wedding shower 3 years ago...I just now found it on iTunes.

Damn, I love that song.

I don't know much about the artist, but the song is great.

PBM
"We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Richard Thompson is Dah Man.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    he is an artist that I need to check out further. I have Shoot Out the Lights which I hear is his 'masterpiece' but it didn't catch with me on first couple listens.

He is a HUGE influence on Bob Mould, who is a HUGE influence on myself.
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I just read up on him on his iTunes Bio...didn't realize he was a well-received singer/songwriter.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • he is really good.I still want to hear his cover of "Oops I did it Again".A friend got to hear him do this cover,and I guess it wsa pretty cool.
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    He's also an astonishing guitarist. He's not flash. He doesn't play a million notes. He doesn't need to. He plays on the first two Nick Drake albums.

You can find a couple of taper-friendly Richard Thompson shows for streaming and download on the sugarmegs site:

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/sugaree/

Scroll down a bit in the list.
  • I heard the other day his live version of a Who medley that he did. It's apparently on his box set or something. My Generation- I Can't Explain-Substitute was the medley, all solo, all on one acoustic. It was amazing!! Guitar work was brilliant. I sure need to check this guy out more!
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    he's in my deadpool.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Since I mentioned him elsewhere, I dug up this thread.

Richard Thompson is one of the greatest living guitar players, a brilliant songwriter and a polished, charismatic, engaging performer. The man is a legend.

He started out in Fairport Convention, a folk group, before I was born, I think (late 60's). If you're of a certain age, perusing his catalog you probably will recognize some of his songs, e.g. I remember hearing "Valerie" on the radio when I was a kid.

I urge everyone I know to see Richard Thompson play any and every time the opportunity presents itself. I believe he lives in New York at least part-time, so pre-COVID he performed frequently on the East Coast. We saw him open for Glen Hansard in Brooklyn several years ago; no offense to Glen, who is a hell of a performer in his own right, but RT should have been the headliner on that show. Two women there to see Glen arrived halfway through RT's set and asked me if I "knew who that was;" I said, that's Richard Thompson, and he's a freaking legend; they googled him and said, oh, you're right about that!"

Electric or acoustic, with a band or solo, he is not to be missed.

Probably my favorite song by anyone:

Valerie

Shoot Out the Lights

I Feel So Good

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Since I mentioned him elsewhere, I dug up this thread.

Richard Thompson is one of the greatest living guitar players, a brilliant songwriter and a polished, charismatic, engaging performer. The man is a legend.

He started out in Fairport Convention, a folk group, before I was born, I think (late 60's). If you're of a certain age, perusing his catalog you probably will recognize some of his songs, e.g. I remember hearing "Valerie" on the radio when I was a kid.

I urge everyone I know to see Richard Thompson play any and every time the opportunity presents itself. I believe he lives in New York at least part-time, so pre-COVID he performed frequently on the East Coast. We saw him open for Glen Hansard in Brooklyn several years ago; no offense to Glen, who is a hell of a performer in his own right, but RT should have been the headliner on that show. Two women there to see Glen arrived halfway through RT's set and asked me if I "knew who that was;" I said, that's Richard Thompson, and he's a freaking legend; they googled him and said, oh, you're right about that!"

Electric or acoustic, with a band or solo, he is not to be missed.

Probably my favorite song by anyone:

Valerie

Shoot Out the Lights

I Feel So Good

"Richard Thompson is one of the greatest living guitar players, a brilliant songwriter and a polished, charismatic, engaging performer. The man is a legend."

Right on, Curmudgeoness, well said!
    I somehow got parted with my LP copy of Shoot Out the Light and recently ordered a replacement copy.  So looking forward the hearing it again!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Saw him a few years ago in a small theatre in Ireland.
    Some friends told me I had to go. So glad I did. Amazing show.