Comments

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:
    jeffbr said:
    rgambs said:
    I always hear talk everywhere from people who claim that if you're truly informed you know about how both parties are just as bad and voting for them is the real sin.
    BULL-FUCKING-SHIT, look at the real world ramifications of a government faction in power that doesn't believe in global warming, that doesn't care about pollution, that wants to strip health care from millions of Americans to give a 30 billion dollar tax cut to the wealthiest few hundred.
    The list goes on and on, if you think the parties are the same, either you aren't paying attention to what's actually occuring on the ground, or you are just refusing to accept reality.
    Well, you've twisted the false premise that is being argued: "When you vote 3rd party, the only statement that gets delivered is : 'I don't understand how US government works '."

That is the bullshit premise that caused the latest posts. You turned that false premise into something about there being no difference between the parties and they're both just as bad. Of course there are differences between the parties. And which one is worse depends on the issue.  But I'm happy to make a blanket statement that the Reps are worse than the Dems for a good number of issues I care about. But that is tangential to the debate about 3rd parties. And in my case, there was absolutely no downside to voting 3rd party. My state was always going to be strong for Hillary, and 3rd party votes did not provide Trump any advantage here.
    In political science, Duverger's law holds that plurality-rule elections (such as first past the post) structured within single-member districts tend to favor a two-party system and that "the double ballot majority system and proportional representation tend to favor multipartism".

In other words,

Our system simply isn't structured that way and it was intentional.  I have never seen such brazen disregard for the principles upon which our government was founded.  
    Maybe we need more brazen disregard for the parts that aren't working. 

What? Like casting a 3rd party/protest vote?  What has that ever got anyone?

We're roughly four states away from a potential Constitutional Convention.  One Supreme Court Justice was hijacked and rumors of a second Justice retiring.  The ramifications of this election are going to be painful, span generations, and diminish America's status on the world stage.  

Elections have consequences, I hope you enjoyed your protest vote.  

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    unsung said:
    Man I loved these unsung threads. This is what happens when you click on his link now:

lol
    chinese-happy.jpg