05/06/22
Show 1
Set List

Eddie Vedder on stage 7:30
1. I Won’t Back Down-(Petty, Lynn)

Josh Klinghoffer on stage 7:33
1. Offend
2. Save
3. Buttercup --(Smith, Gossard, Hagar, Toback) Stone joins Josh onstage to play the Brad song Buttercup
4. Nutshell-(Inez, Cantrell, KInney, Staley) Alice In Chains cover
5. Scape
6. Night
Jeff joins Josh onstage for the last two songs and is introduced as another member of Green River

PEARL JAM
Band Onstage 8:49
Band Offstage 11:10

01.  Of The Girl
02.  Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
03. Superblood Wolfmoon
04. Corduroy
{Ed talking about the great things that have occurred in this building.  He also talks about missing Pink Floyd playing The Wall because his friend forgot the tickets}
05. Dance Of The Clairvoyants
06. Quick Escape
{Met young man named Dennis while visiting colleges. Dedicates song to Dennis and JP}
07. Faithfull
08. Not For You-(Modern Girl-(Sleater Kinney) 1:00 minute tag {“if the guy you are with isn’t pro-choice then he shouldn’t be allowed to fuck you"}
09. Buckle Up
{Shout out for Dave Krusen who is possibly at the show.  “Dave you are part of the family”}
10. Even Flow
11. Never Destination
12. Down
13. Nothing Man
14. Present Tense {Ed checks in with security while Mike continues to play}
15.  Who Ever Said-(quotes line "I can’t get no satisfaction" 12 seconds long. Also shouts Devo because he sings it more like the Devo version)-Jagger/Richards
16.  Porch

Encore Break

17. State Of Love And Trust
18. Wishlist (to the back of the venue)
19.  Do The Evolution
20. Black
{Ed talks about a fan who had a brain tumor … after surgery and radiation he wasn’t able to communicate very well but he vowed to his brother that no matter what we are going to the Pearl Jam show on May 6}
21. Alive
22. Yellow Ledbetter

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• JK109224JK109224 Posts: 558
    Solid set. Essentially the band have removed the 5+ sloppy repetitive covers from their shows and we have a tight Pearl Jam setlist, performed well.

I've been hoping for this for some years now. Long may it continue.
    Come to send, not condescend...
  • ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,190
    edited May 2022
    Great show!  Very energetic and the band were in great spirits.  Eddie's voice was super strong throughout - I am guessing part of the shorter set idea is to make sure he can keep it "on" for the whole show.  That being said the show felt full and I didn't even know it was a shorter set until I saw it listed online! 

The new songs were great and I thought they all translated well live, Never Destination was probably my favorite tonight of the Gigaton bunch

This was my first "Of the Girl" set opener as well - super cool!
    Post edited by ForceofNature101 on
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 489
    It was a great night at the Fabulous Forum. I thought it was a better show than SD. The building was full of energy, moving up Small Town to the second slot really got the crowd into it. Performances were very tight and the setlist was a nice mix. The new songs continue to sound great, though I thought Buckle Up got lost in a building that big. Surprising that Seven O’Clock was dropped. Fantastic version of Black in the encores. The show was fully over after Alive, the band took their bows and were getting ready to leave the stage before Ed called them back for YL. 

It does appear that there is a new normal in terms of the number of songs being in the low 20s. It works well and it will probably help Ed as the tour goes on, though it is quite different from the shows even as recent as 2018 and it seems pretty clear that most of the show will be devoted to Gigaton and cycling through fan faves. 
  • THETONYCLIFTONTHETONYCLIFTON SAN LUIS OBISPO Posts: 153
    JK109224 said:
    Solid set. Essentially the band have removed the 5+ sloppy repetitive covers from their shows and we have a tight Pearl Jam setlist, performed well.

You’ve been hoping for 5 songs less from a band you love? That just doesn’t track and sounds like you’re trying to defend a sad change in a band we all admire for playing their hearts out and going the length at each show. This isn’t it in SD and LA1 so far. 
    "..to find the comfort in this world."
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    thanks Sea 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • AC300802AC300802 LA Area, California Posts: 55
    Great show and set. Energy was excellent in the building. Very nice mix of old and new. How can you go wrong with Of The Girl, Nothingman, Present Tense, Wishlist, Faithful, and SOLAT??!!??
    JK109224 said:

You’ve been hoping for 5 songs less from a band you love? That just doesn’t track and sounds like you’re trying to defend a sad change in a band we all admire for playing their hearts out and going the length at each show. This isn’t it in SD and LA1 so far. 
    I don't think the band are doing less songs just to leave the venue early, I think it is probably done mostly for Ed's voice and the boys getting a bit older overall.  Persinally if a tighter setlist with a focus on originals over covers help such as these last shows, I am all for it

• jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,159
    Much more diverse set then SD. Happy to get a new song on the belt notch with of the girl. 

Good show. Medium energy from the crowd. My section was sitting most of the show.  People all around left everytime a new song came on for more beers.

Had fun though. Was good to be back in arena I guess.. thats what everyone wanted.

I'll take a sloppy 3 hour 20 minute show that is uniquely PJ at stadium with 5 covers and 36 tracks 10/10 times over arena shows with 22 songs and there no chance of the show even making the top 400 PJ shows.

• JK109224JK109224 Posts: 558
    edited May 2022
    JK109224 said:

Hope? It's not really about hope. More about perspective. They're getting old. Ed's voice is not what it was. That's just truth.

These days I'd rather see a 2.5 hour show with 23-25 Pearl Jam songs, tight as hell, than some of the sloppy/flubby performances that have been dished up more and more frequently over recent years which are lauded for their length and not their quality.

Everyone has an opinion on this which is fine.
    Post edited by JK109224 on
    Come to send, not condescend...
    Most importantly, I do just hope for this tour going forward know that we know the general length this tour was decided on - that the main focus can be on what is there as opposed to what isn't - because what is there evidenced by tonight is a band still delivering the goods!
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,357
    These shows look super tight and I'm here for it. I love some of the covers they do, but if they want to give us a 2.5hr show with nothing but PJ originals then let's f'n go. 

If it means Ed's voice holds up then it's worth it. From the clips I've seen so far he's sounding fantastic.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • airblue1airblue1 Posts: 399
    I am a fortunate human to have been to the last two shows.  Can I start with saying the waiting drove me mad, we are all still alive. I think the theme is love and life. Enjoy one and another. For this tour I think we should mosh, shout, and enjoy every moment. Not compare, not complain,  but enjoy and respect. I love us, We have lost, let's heal. trade posters, over purchase, and always have each others back. I love you all and my hope your show is EPIC. Be good and let's do great things.
    Hail To the Victors
    I refer to those in front...
  • CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,226
    The variety of songs in just the first two nights of the tour is awesome! Looking forward to seeing what they play tonight. Maybe Go, Animal, Blood or Dissident?  Such a blessing these guys are out there touring and still sounding great!
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • airblue1 said:
    I am a fortunate human to have been to the last two shows.  Can I start with saying the waiting drove me mad, we are all still alive. I think the theme is love and life. Enjoy one and another. For this tour I think we should mosh, shout, and enjoy every moment. Not compare, not complain,  but enjoy and respect. I love us, We have lost, let's heal. trade posters, over purchase, and always have each others back. I love you all and my hope your show is EPIC. Be good and let's do great things.
    I want to hang with this person at my next show ^
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    No given to fly...wow about time.

Now just ditch Corduroy and Small Town!
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    Red Lukin said:

Yes they should never play their best songs 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    This set has some serious flow! Wow!! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,443
    I think that is very close to a perfect mix.  Caters to the new fan, the new music, and the long time fan.  Clearly, they have spoiled us rotten. 
  • aweisman10aweisman10 Posts: 145
    Much more diverse set then SD. Happy to get a new song on the belt notch with of the girl. 

Good show. Medium energy from the crowd. My section was sitting most of the show.  People all around left everytime a new song came on for more beers.

Had fun though. Was good to be back in arena I guess.. thats what everyone wanted.

I'll take a sloppy 3 hour 20 minute show that is uniquely PJ at stadium with 5 covers and 36 tracks 10/10 times over arena shows with 22 songs and there no chance of the show even making the top 400 PJ shows.

Agreed. I’ll take longer shows any day. However, I believe (hope) the reason that this show and the San Diego show were shorter than normal is because both arenas have an 11:00 -11:30 curfew….I’m going to the Vegas show that has no curfew, so hoping for a longer / normal set. 
  • jadakidjadakid Posts: 64
    Red Lukin said:

Yes they should never play their best songs 
    😂
  • TremormanTremorman Posts: 380

I still think these shows are pretty long.  So far they just are featuring many of their lengthier songs.  And I think there will be more wrinkles thrown in as they get their reps in and maybe find some new ways to integrate Josh.  Mid and late tour PJ is different than early tour PJ.  If they stick with 22-25 songs over 2.5 hrs that still sounds great to me.  And love the preset return and even playing tunes w/ Josh during his set. Always fun to see how each night unfolds!
  • pistol3pistol3 CO Posts: 159
    I guess if there are only going to be 22 songs, at least their are some heavy hitters in there. Better than San Diego, IMO.
    VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    edited May 2022
    I believe San Diego was discovered by the Germans in 1904. San Diego is German for whales vagina. 

Stay Classy. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • mshnaydermshnayder Posts: 81
    FOMO missing this show. Looked like a really solid one!
  • BW285110BW285110 Posts: 28

Agreed. I’ll take longer shows any day. However, I believe (hope) the reason that this show and the San Diego show were shorter than normal is because both arenas have an 11:00 -11:30 curfew….I’m going to the Vegas show that has no curfew, so hoping for a longer / normal set. 
    Since 2006 PJ has regularly paid the fine and played past curfew. 

No one can argue with the math. 22 is a lot less than 33. That is a whole different thing. The show feels short. At Alive when I realized it was about over, I was sorta stunned. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    People laughed at me when I said to expect shorter sets on this tour. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,554
    I was at both shows. The energy in LA was better than San Diego in my opinion, which was surprising. Probably had more to do with the flow of the setlist, which I thought was incredible. I was also around some really great fans, which makes a huge difference. I loved the mix of songs. This was almost perfect in my opinion. Present Tense. Faithfull. Black. Of the Girl. I mean, come on. Yellow Ledbetter was definitely a true impromptu encore. Probably the cleanest or least added-to Mike solo for YL I’ve ever seen, which itself was special. 

I can understand why someone who was not at these shows might look at the amount of songs and express disappointment, but take my word for it: if you had been at this show, you would not have been disappointed by the experience.

I’ve been to plenty of shows, and I’d take this over some of the 28-30 song shows I’ve been at where it felt less energetic and special. These are sort of intangibles that you just have to experience. My advice to those of you who are waiting for your shows and have “concerns”: don’t. You will have a great time when the time comes. Be faithful about that. Can’t wait to see how tonight will be special. 
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    airblue1 said:
    I want to hang with this person at my next show ^
    Same
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • phinster1354phinster1354 Posts: 26
    edited May 2022
    I think what people have to keep in mind, when it comes to the length of the setlists thus far, for this tour, is that they have an opener on this tour that takes up time, which impacts the ability for pearl jam to play more songs. Alot of the previous , more recent Pearl Jam shows have been a "night with pearl jam", and no opener. And yes, there have been times when they have broken curfew, but it's not a regular occurrence. Just be grateful this tour is happening at all , because two years ago, or even a year ago........ fans would have been happy with just a ten song set!! "Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense"!!
    Post edited by phinster1354 on
    "Restless soul, enjoy your youth"

"There's an upside of down"

"I don't mean to push, but I'm being shoved"

Rochester 94', Buffalo 96', Saratoga 00', Albany03', Buffalo 03',Toronto 05', Albany06', Hartford 08', Philly II 09', Buffalo 10', Boston 10', Toronto I 11', Toronto II 11', Buffalo 13', Worcester I 13', Worcester II 13', Philly II 13', Detroit 14', Philly I 16', Philly II 16', MSG I 16', MSG II 16' Ottawa 16', Toronto I 16', Toronto II 16', Fenway I 16', Fenway II 16'