A humble song request for the LA Forum Night 2 show

rchicasrchicas California Posts: 5

Hello guys, this is my first time posting here so I’m sorry if this isn’t the appropriate place, but I thought I’d give this a shot. My name is Robert and these past couple of years of the pandemic have been rough on my family.

I began college a year prior to the pandemic and was doing quite well, getting A’s and B’s in my freshman courses. When covid started to spread classes were moved to online which was strange at first, but I learned to adapt. Then my family received news that caught all of us off guard, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. Cancer is an awful disease and we all felt so helpless watching my mother go through this terrible ordeal. 

Chemotherapy and radiation treatments made her body so weak, and she cried when all her hair fell off. She was constantly in pain, but some days were worse than others. She feared the idea of dying and leaving all of us behind, and we were equally as terrified of her leaving us. All we could do was drive her to her appointments and hope that through these treatments and surgery she would get better. It was very stressful, and my grades began to suffer greatly, at one point I was almost academically dismissed.

Music was the only solace I had during this awful time in my life and that’s when I listened to Pearl Jam’s “Ten” for the first time ever. I was instantly hooked; I can honestly say I don’t think there is a bad song in that entire album! Once is a fantastic opener and Black and Jeremey are some of my top favorite Pearl Jam songs! However, one song in the album sticks out more than the others. I don’t typically get emotional with music, but as soon as I heard Release tears just started rolling down my face. It must have been with what I was going through at the time, but I just couldn’t contain my emotions. The funny part is that even though I was crying, I had a smile on my face as if for just a moment I felt some relief from the pain in my heart. It’s such a beautiful and powerful song and really helped me out during my mother’s cancer battle. 

I’m happy to say that my mother is now cancer free and doing so much better! Although she is not one hundred percent, she still feels nerve pain because of the chemotherapy and radiation, she has gained some weight back and has her long, luscious hair again! When I heard the Pearl Jam tour was back on, I immediately bought some tickets to the LA Forum show this Saturday! It would mean a lot to me if the band played Release, but just being at a Pearl Jam concert is a blessing on its own. It feels great to finally get this all off my chest, thank you for reading and thank you for listening.

Comments

• chalonchalon Posts: 106
    Lucky for you, Release is the most common opening song they play by a pretty significant margin. I was expecting it to be the opener on one of the nights (and probably a Gigaton song on the other night), so maybe you'll be lucky!

Unfortunately, if it's not the opener they probably won't play it unless they mix it up (since about 80% of the time, when they've played Release it was as the opener).
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    I would love to hear it as well.  Gets me choked up/teary every time they play it live.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 794
    chalon said:
    Lucky for you, Release is the most common opening song they play by a pretty significant margin. I was expecting it to be the opener on one of the nights (and probably a Gigaton song on the other night), so maybe you'll be lucky!

Unfortunately, if it's not the opener they probably won't play it unless they mix it up (since about 80% of the time, when they've played Release it was as the opener).
    Well, then they are well overdue to play that, so I hope you're right and they bust it out in LA finally (been since 9/2/18).  I would also love to hear Deep (last played 7/5/18) and Comes Then Goes (never played).  
  • rchicasrchicas California Posts: 5
    chalon said:

That's great to hear! Really hope it finds it's way somewhere on the setlist!
    ddeschler said:
    I would love to hear it as well.  Gets me choked up/teary every time they play it live.
    It's such a beautiful song.
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,604
    edited May 2022
    July 14, 1998(night 2 of a two day stand)and my very first Pearl Jam show at the L.A. Forum they played Release. They came out in the dark and the music started…then Eddie’s voice…it was so powerful that tears rolled down my face. To this day, nothing can touch it as an opener. NOTHING. It’s almost 24 years since that happened and they have another 2 night stand at the Forum. Here’s hoping that night 2 gets Release again. It will be magical for you and me and all the rest who are in the building that night. 🙏🤞♥️
    Post edited by PJammin' on
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
    edited May 2022
    PJammin' said:
    July 14, 1998(night 2 of a two day stand)and my very first Pearl Jam show at the L.A. Forum they played Release. They came out in the dark and the music started…then Eddie’s voice…it was so powerful that tears rolled down my face. To this day, nothing can touch it as an opener. NOTHING. It’s almost 24 years since that happened and they have another 2 night stand at the Forum. Here’s hoping that night 2 gets Release again. It will be magical for you and me and all the rest who are in the building that night. 🙏🤞♥️
    I love the idea of opening with such a powerful song and that's awesome that you were able to hear it live back then! I appreciate you guys taking the time to read my post :smile:, you guys are giving me a lot hope that they might play it! 
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,604
    This band is so amazing!
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
    I was in total disbelief when they started playing the song! Release really is the best opener and I will be forever grateful that the band chose to play it tonight, what a show!
  • chalonchalon Posts: 106
    edited May 2022
    I'll take credit for calling the opener -- actually I texted my friend earlier today and also predicted Indifference as the closer.

All my other predictions were 100% wrong, though, haha
  • meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,554
    Came true. 
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]