POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of Opening Track/Debut Album - Round 1

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
edited January 2022 in Other Music
Hope everyone is having fun with these WEAKEST LINK polls. With the new poll we will decide the best "Opening Track on a Debut Album". For these artist this was usually the VERY first track anyone heard of them. So with this one I came up with 10 for us to debate about and choose from.

Disclaimer: I know there are thousands of great debut albums with with great opening tracks, I could not include them all and I want to be the first to say I am sorry for not including your favorite. These are just the ones that came to my mind.

Remember you are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the 2 songs with the most votes. We will then move on to Round 2.

Thanks again for playing.

R.E.M.: “Radio Free Europe” (Murmur)N.W.A.: “Straight Outta Compton” (Straight Outta Compton)Ramones: “Blitzkrieg Bop” (Ramones)Van Halen: “Runnin’ with the Devil” (Van Halen)Van Morrison: “Brown Eyed Girl” (Blowin’ Your Mind!)The Velvet Underground: “Sunday Morning” (The Velvet Underground & Nico)Boston: “More Than A Feeling” (Boston)Beastie Boys: "Rhymin & Stealin" (Licensed To Ill)Guns N' Roses: "Welcome to the Jungle" (Appetite for Destruction)Violent Femmes: "Blister in the Sun" (Violent Femmes)

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of Opening Track/Debut Album - Round 1 47 votes

R.E.M.: “Radio Free Europe”
8%
DukeSpiritDewieCoxtempo_n_groovehihobibo 4 votes
N.W.A.: “Straight Outta Compton”
2%
pledgeagrievance 1 vote
Ramones: “Blitzkrieg Bop”
0%
Van Halen: “Runnin’ with the Devil”
4%
ArmageddonComeToTX 2 votes
Van Morrison: “Brown Eyed Girl”
17%
2-feign-reluctanceCarryTheZerotbergsGlowGirldankindeeriepadaveF Me In The BrainHobbes 8 votes
The Velvet Underground: “Sunday Morning”
19%
mcgruff10jwhjr17BIGDaddyWilmickeyraterebusRP112579Gern BlanstenAsterisk on the Streetrossstothers 9 votes
Boston: “More Than A Feeling”
21%
Ponciergoldrushmfc2006jjflashMedozKmrussel1OffSheGoes35Cropduster-8023scidooultrapig 10 votes
Beastie Boys: "Rhymin & Stealin"
21%
pjhawksGibsonYefacutzJimmyVBLACK35brianlux1ThoughtKnownjoe159SmallestOceans 10 votes
Guns N' Roses: "Welcome to the Jungle"
2%
ed243421 1 vote
Violent Femmes: "Blister in the Sun"
4%
josevolutionKearn5y 2 votes
Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Violent Femmes. ❤️💜💙

I know there is no way they will last past this round, but I'm so happy to see them I could cry. I just love them so. 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Violent Femmes. ❤️💜💙

I know there is no way they will last past this round, but I'm so happy to see them I could cry. I just love them so. 
    They are great!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Boston: “More Than A Feeling”
    This one is going to be interesting. This should go down between N.W.A. And GnR.  They changed the landscape of music with their respective opening tracks 

to me the others are just good songs 
    HELL YES!!! 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Runnin' With the Devil came out at the height of Disco, talk about changing the musical landscape.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    mfc2006 said:
    Violent Femmes. ❤️💜💙

They are great!
    I like you. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Boston is the worst…
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    mfc2006 said:
    Violent Femmes. ❤️💜💙

They are great!
    First album is great...Kiss Off, Add it Up, Gone Daddy Gone....
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    https://youtu.be/ni8JeRpSTYA
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Great poll! Pretty impressive opening tracks for debut albums
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Beastie Boys: "Rhymin & Stealin"
    Never been into the BB’s.  
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    Poncier said:
    Runnin' With the Devil came out at the height of Disco, talk about changing the musical landscape.

this guy knows what he's  talking about.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    next up, weakest link side project....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Checking list for Blinded By The Light on Greetings from Asbury....
    Kev - considering you're a Doors guy,  I'm surprised you didn't include Break on Through.

I feel like Boston was just a sacrificial lamb. 
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:
    Kev - considering you're a Doors guy,  I'm surprised you didn't include Break on Through.

I feel like Boston was just a sacrificial lamb. 
    Yea, they were on my short list. I usually start with about 20-25 and narrow it down to 10. I just thought the Boston track was one of their most well known and during that period on the radio, More Than a Feeling was a HUGE song.
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
     I feel like Boston was just a sacrificial lamb. ”

But to be their very first song on their debut album?
    it may have been downhill from there, but that is undeniably a mega hit even if we don’t particularly like it
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Boston: “More Than A Feeling”
    mrussel1 said:
    As much as I like it, I would suggest that Bruce didn’t really break through to a wide audience until born to run. 

To me the list is a major breakthrough album, with a killer opening track, and widespread commercial appeal that made everyone buy a copy. Don’t think greetings from Asbury has that. 

I think in retrospect you can see it as a majorly important album as a preview of what was to come 
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:
    That was on my short list.
    mrussel1 said:
    As much as I like it, I would suggest that Bruce didn’t really break through to a wide audience until born to run. 

To me the list is a major breakthrough album, with a killer opening track, and widespread commercial appeal that made everyone buy a copy. Don’t think greetings from Asbury has that. 

I think in retrospect you can see it as a majorly important album as a preview of what was to come 
    Fair and you're right.  He was about to get dropped by his record company until Born hit. 
    erebus said:
    “ I feel like Boston was just a sacrificial lamb. ”

But to be their very first song on their debut album?
    it may have been downhill from there, but that is undeniably a mega hit even if we don’t particularly like it
    Yeah my criticism of them is about how every song sounds the same.  It was a hit though,  for sure.  

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited January 2022
    Poncier said:
    Fair point and a great case for Van Halen. 

N.W.A. However did that pre internet, with basically no radio air play.  I think they have the upper hand here considering radio would have been the primary avenue for people to access new music.  I assume(?) Runnin’ With the Devil got played a lot so people could hear it. 

Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited January 2022
    Only song on the list I don't like. 

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Beastie Boys: "Rhymin & Stealin"

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Beastie Boys: "Rhymin & Stealin"
    Terrific weakest link idea!
    This one is gonna be tough.  All good songs.  I must confess though to a bias- I'm not a hip hop fan and not a Beasties fan.  No that I think they are "bad".  No way!  Just not a fan.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586

Ha.
    Nice.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    Terrific weakest link idea!
    This one is gonna be tough.  All good songs.  I must confess though to a bias- I'm not a hip hop fan and not a Beasties fan.  No that I think they are "bad".  No way!  Just not a fan.

That’s too bad. Their catalog is so much more than hip hop. 

Funk, jazz, punk, blues, and even country. 

They just got famous as a hip hop act is all. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • R.E.M.: “Radio Free Europe”
    How can you vote for the greatest Beasties song ever made?  It samples 4 Sticks and Sweet Leaf…. Haters.. all of ya…
  • R.E.M.: “Radio Free Europe”
    Poncier said:
    Fair point and a great case for Van Halen. 

N.W.A. However did that pre internet, with basically no radio air play.  I think they have the upper hand here considering radio would have been the primary avenue for people to access new music.  I assume(?) Runnin’ With the Devil got played a lot so people could hear it. 

Straight outta Compton hit you in the face like a sledgehammer.

The best part is the end and REN yelling DAMN THAT SHIT WAS DOPE!
This discussion has been closed.