Viruses / Vaccines 2

KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
edited January 2023 in A Moving Train
We're all trying to get through this with the best and most accurate information about a mutating virus. Please share any helpful information.
Good health to all.
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009

Look at the difference in hospitalizations in 3 weeks in Texas. The number of people on vents has doubled, kids counts have quadrupled. Everyone wants to say how "mild" Omicron is, and it may be better than Delta but holy hell when only 57% of the state is fully vaccinated and of those only 30% boosted, this is what we get. And our surge isn't anywhere near peak.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here. Just......man this is going to get worse and people that need a hospital for other reasons are going to have a difficult time getting it.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408

Supreme Court halts COVID-19 vaccine rule for US businesses
    By MARK SHERMAN and JESSICA GRESKO
    1 hour ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court has stopped a major push by the Biden administration to boost the nation's COVID-19 vaccination rate, a requirement that employees at large businesses get a vaccine or test regularly and wear a mask on the job.

At the same time, the court is allowing the administration to proceed with a vaccine mandate for most health care workers in the U.S. The court’s orders Thursday came during a spike in coronavirus cases caused by the omicron variant.

The court's conservative majority concluded the administration overstepped its authority by seeking to impose the Occupational Safety and Health Administration's vaccine-or-test rule on U.S. businesses with at least 100 employees. More than 80 million people would have been affected and OSHA had estimated that the rule would save 6,500 lives and prevent 250,000 hospitalizations over six months.

“OSHA has never before imposed such a mandate. Nor has Congress. Indeed, although Congress has enacted significant legislation addressing the COVID–19 pandemic, it has declined to enact any measure similar to what OSHA has promulgated here,” the conservatives wrote in an unsigned opinion.

In dissent, the court's three liberals argued that it was the court that was overreaching by substituting its judgment for that of health experts. “Acting outside of its competence and without legal basis, the Court displaces the judgments of the Government officials given the responsibility to respond to workplace health emergencies," Justices Stephen Breyer, Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor wrote in a joint dissent.

President Joe Biden said he was “disappointed that the Supreme Court has chosen to block common-sense life-saving requirements for employees at large businesses that were grounded squarely in both science and the law.”

Biden called on businesses to institute their own vaccination requirements, noting that a third of Fortune 100 companies already have done so.

When crafting the OSHA rule, White House officials always anticipated legal challenges — and privately some harbored doubts that it could withstand them. The administration nonetheless still views the rule as a success at already driving millions of people to get vaccinated and encouraging private businesses to implement their own requirements that are unaffected by the legal challenge.

The OSHA regulation had initially been blocked by a federal appeals court in New Orleans, then allowed to take effect by a federal appellate panel in Cincinnati.

continues....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Biden to double free COVID tests, add N95s, to fight omicron
    By ZEKE MILLER
    Today

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden announced Thursday that the government will double to 1 billion the rapid, at-home COVID-19 tests to be distributed free to Americans, along with the most protective N95 masks, as he highlighted his efforts to “surge” resources to help the country weather the spike in coronavirus cases.

Biden also announced that starting next week 1,000 military medical personnel will begin deploying across the country to help overwhelmed medical facilities ease staff shortages due to the highly transmissible omicron variant. Speaking at the White House, he said six additional military medical teams will be deployed to Michigan, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio and Rhode Island.

Many facilities are struggling because their workers are in at-home quarantines due to the virus at the same time as a nationwide spike in COVID-19 cases. The new deployments will be on top of other federal medical personnel who have already been sent to states to help with acute shortages.

Biden acknowledged that, “I know we’re all frustrated as we enter this new year" as virus cases reach new heights. But he insisted that it remains “a pandemic of the unvaccinated.”

Both vaccinated and unvaccinated people test positive for the virus, but Biden noted medical figures showing that people are far less likely to suffer serious illness and death if they've received a shot: “What happens after that could not be more different.”

Biden's comments come as his administration's focus is shifting to easing disruptions from the spike in cases that is also contributing to grocery shortages and flight cancellations, rather than preventing the transmission of the virus.

On Tuesday, Janet Woodcock, the acting head of the Food and Drug Administration, told Congress that the highly transmissible strain will infect “most people” and that the focus should turn to ensuring critical services can continue uninterrupted.

“I think it’s hard to process what’s actually happening right now, which is: Most people are going to get COVID, all right?” she said. “What we need to do is make sure the hospitals can still function — transportation, other essential services are not disrupted while this happens.”

Biden said that he is directing his team to double its procurement of rapid COVID-19 tests to be delivered for free to Americans through a forthcoming federal website, as he seeks to respond to criticism over shortages and long lines for tests. The initial order was for 500 million tests, and now the federal government will purchase 1 billion at-home testing kits.

The initial batch of test kits will be available starting next week, Biden said, when the administration launches a new website where Americans can request the free tests. The rest of the tests will be delivered over the coming months.

Biden also announced that for the first time his administration was planning to make “high-quality” N95 masks, which are most effective at preventing transmission of the virus, available for free. He said his administration would announce details next week.

The federal government has a stockpile of more than 750 million N95 masks, the White House said this week. And though research has shown those masks to be better protection, they are often more uncomfortable, and health officials are not altering their guidance to recommend against less-protective cloth masks.

continues....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

Look at the difference in hospitalizations in 3 weeks in Texas. The number of people on vents has doubled, kids counts have quadrupled. Everyone wants to say how "mild" Omicron is, and it may be better than Delta but holy hell when only 57% of the state is fully vaccinated and of those only 30% boosted, this is what we get. And our surge isn't anywhere near peak.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here. Just......man this is going to get worse and people that need a hospital for other reasons are going to have a difficult time getting it.

Yeah, it's sad how overly optimistic some people are.  Omicron may be less virulent, but it's still lethal enough to be killing many people.  And despite odds of survival with the vaccine, people like my wife's extended family friend who was anti-vax, anti mask are dying the way he did- unprotected.

I sincerely hope everyone here is vaccinated.  Forget what the politicians say.  Forget whatever political party or faith you follow and do the logical thing by getting vaccinated and wear a mask in public or around strangers.  You can always argue the fine points later... but only if you are still breathing.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    I got the e-mail this morning from the government of BC that I could register for my booster.   Got it after work today.  Moderna (first two shots were Pfizer).

I thought the government was going to run behind on boosters, but I was a few days short of 6 months.  Not too shabby at all.
    Zod said:
    I got the e-mail this morning from the government of BC that I could register for my booster.   Got it after work today.  Moderna (first two shots were Pfizer).

I thought the government was going to run behind on boosters, but I was a few days short of 6 months.  Not too shabby at all.

full dose or half like down here?

• Our booster  was 0.3ml
    Is that  half?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Our booster  was 0.3ml
    Is that  half?

of the moderna?

yes, recommended initially as half dose pre-omicron but moving toward recommending full dose since but not official yet .  

• Pfizer.   I had AZ first 2 the pfizer booster. 
     Sounds like half. My first 2 were 0.5ml each just checked
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Pfizer.   I had AZ first 2 the pfizer booster. 

interesting. here pfizer recommends  full dose booster. approved for that too.

uk gov decision?

Pfizer.   I had AZ first 2 the pfizer booster. 

full dose. 

• Thank  you
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

edited January 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    Zod said:

full dose or half like down here?

I'm not sure.  I didn't think to ask.  It doesn't show up in the health gateway yet, but I looked up my pfizer ones and it doesn't list the size of the dose.. so I guess I may never find out :(

I did find a reference on the government website from november that indicated full doses for 70+ and LTC people, and half doses for everyone else, so I'm gonna guess a half dose.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Ontario woman with Stage 4 colon cancer has life-saving surgery postponed indefinitely

Socialized medicine for the WIN…

Pretty sad state the healthcare system is in…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638

Ontario woman with Stage 4 colon cancer has life-saving surgery postponed indefinitely

How is this possible?
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622

Pretty sad state the healthcare system is in

Agreed. When the numbers below are scary enough for us to go into another lockdown almost as bad as it was in March 2020 it makes you really wonder what has been happening to prepare for this moment in the last 2 years with our healthcare system. 10 in the ICU and 4 on a ventilator province wide and I can not see my mother.

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    PJNB said:

Agreed. When the numbers below are scary enough for us to go into another lockdown almost as bad as it was in March 2020 it makes you really wonder what has been happening to prepare for this moment in the last 2 years with our healthcare system. 10 in the ICU and 4 on a ventilator province wide and I can not see my mother.

I mean I can see locking down with those ICU numbers if your province has a population of like 1,500..
    This weekend we rock Portland
    nicknyr15 said:

How is this possible?
    This pandemic has really exposed Canada’s socialized medicine…it’s rationed healthcare…

i feel bad for this lady.  

Give Peas A Chance…
    Poncier said:
    PJNB said:

I mean I can see locking down with those ICU numbers if your province has a population of like 1,500..
    True…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJNB said:

It appears nothing has been done and nothing is being done to prepare for future problems…I think a big part of the problem is our politicians, like so many westerners think…we are vaccinating our way out of this…I wouldn’t bet on that.  It’s too bad you can not see your mom…I’d give anything to see my mom again.  So I really hope you get to see you mom soon…

My dad is 87 lives on his own, great health…so I see him…

I wish we had built military field hospitals to deal with Covid…I realize our military is stretched thin but we don’t need to be in Ukraine or Belarus when we have a medical crisis at home…
    Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    So covid is no joke, even Omnicron.  The symptoms are a rollercoaster of coming and going.   The data certainly shows that the vaccines are the best way to protect yourself .... and it can help others as while you can transmit, the number of days you shed the virus is reduced.  

I personally think it's a no brainer to get vaccinated.  My friends in Iowa just texted me that the positivity rate in their county is 29%....this strain is finding just about everyone.  When a storm is coming you can decide to wear your rain coat, use an umbrella or just get wet.  And then shed that water from your body everywhere you walk for sometime, getting everything wet around you.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    So covid is no joke, even Omnicron.  The symptoms are a rollercoaster of coming and going.   The data certainly shows that the vaccines are the best way to protect yourself .... and it can help others as while you can transmit, the number of days you shed the virus is reduced.  

I personally think it's a no brainer to get vaccinated.  My friends in Iowa just texted me that the positivity rate in their county is 29%....this strain is finding just about everyone.  When a storm is coming you can decide to wear your rain coat, use an umbrella or just get wet.  And then shed that water from your body everywhere you walk for sometime, getting everything wet around you.
    Totally agree.  There is no argument against getting vaccinated. Foolish to do otherwise.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    brianlux said:

Yeah, it's sad how overly optimistic some people are.  Omicron may be less virulent, but it's still lethal enough to be killing many people.  And despite odds of survival with the vaccine, people like my wife's extended family friend who was anti-vax, anti mask are dying the way he did- unprotected.

I sincerely hope everyone here is vaccinated.  Forget what the politicians say.  Forget whatever political party or faith you follow and do the logical thing by getting vaccinated and wear a mask in public or around strangers.  You can always argue the fine points later... but only if you are still breathing.
    agreed...and keep in mind that even GOP politicians that appear to be anti-vax are most likely vaccinated and boosted themselves. They are parroting some fake dumbass party line to keep the hillbilly base in their corner.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Ontario woman with Stage 4 colon cancer has life-saving surgery postponed indefinitely

This is awful. 

My mother passed from cancer in 2018, and the pandemic has made me think about how awful things must be right now for cancer patients. She had so many doctor's appointments, pain management appointments, chemotherapy, and a surgery. To think that people are having cancer procedures put on the backburner due to COVID patients is infuriating. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

This is awful. 

My mother passed from cancer in 2018, and the pandemic has made me think about how awful things must be right now for cancer patients. She had so many doctor's appointments, pain management appointments, chemotherapy, and a surgery. To think that people are having cancer procedures put on the backburner due to COVID patients is infuriating. 

Sorry about your mother, cancer sucks.  I lost my mother in 2014,  complications from a broken hip…she broke her hip and waited in an er 18 hours before surgery…you always miss your mother…This probably isn’t an isolated case either.  My brother in law, serious heart issues needs both hips repaired and has had surgery canceled multiple times…he’s a bigger human, he knows he needs to lose weight, his cardiologist wants him to lose weight through diet and exercise…hard to exercise with bad hips…it’s a a vicious circle.  

And I think what’s frustrating is almost 2 years in it appears very little has been done to strengthen the system and it appears our politicians have very little interest in strengthening the system…like I’ve said before our politicians have their heals so dug in on vaccinating  their way out of this…they put all their eggs into lockdowns and vaccines…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Ontario woman with Stage 4 colon cancer has life-saving surgery postponed indefinitely

This is awful. 

Sorry about your mother, cancer sucks.  I lost my mother in 2014,  complications from a broken hip…she broke her hip and waited in an er 18 hours before surgery…you always miss your mother…This probably isn’t an isolated case either.  My brother in law, serious heart issues needs both hips repaired and has had surgery canceled multiple times…he’s a bigger human, he knows he needs to lose weight, his cardiologist wants him to lose weight through diet and exercise…hard to exercise with bad hips…it’s a a vicious circle.  

And I think what’s frustrating is almost 2 years in it appears very little has been done to strengthen the system and it appears our politicians have very little interest in strengthening the system…like I’ve said before our politicians have their heals so dug in on vaccinating  their way out of this…they put all their eggs into lockdowns and vaccines…

Well you mentioned in a post above about military field hospitals. Yeah, why aren't there more of those right now? I remember at the height of the pandemic (like March - May 2020) that they were using makeshift hospitals like that. We obviously need more if people like the woman in the article you posted are having cancer surgeries pushed off.  
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    nicknyr15 said:

How is this possible?

One of my customers had a similar issue here in BC a few months ago.  He'd been diagnosed with cancer, but because of how jammed the medical system is they weren't going to start his treatment for months.  That's pretty scary because cancer multiplies and spreads, so it made me think this something that should get treated immediately? I ended up finding out he passed away a month later :(  bummed me out.

This is awful. 

Well you mentioned in a post above about military field hospitals. Yeah, why aren't there more of those right now? I remember at the height of the pandemic (like March - May 2020) that they were using makeshift hospitals like that. We obviously need more if people like the woman in the article you posted are having cancer surgeries pushed off.  
    In Ontario many of our hospitals have vacant rooms, some hospitals full floors are closed…so the people in charge of the system could have put those rooms/floors online.  I suggested field hospitals for the unvaccinated in the other thread…I still support field hospitals.  Some of the other issues being faced is staffing shortages, due to illness and many hospitals terminated staff who refused vaccines…and now many of these hospitals have their heals dug and will not rehire these staff.  And asymptomatic positive hospital staff are still allowed to work…lol  Every province is different though…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

test positivity here is nearly 50%. our deputy health minister said, and I'm not kidding, "in the next few weeks, everyone in manitoba is going to get exposed to this virus". 

our premier stated publicly that their strategy has shifted from containing the virus to now worrying about "system load". and the schools will no longer be contacting families about close contacts. 

I predicted a year ago this would happen; that eventually public health would just basically throw their hands up. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD