Options

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of FEMALE FRONTED BANDS - FINALS

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
edited January 2022 in Other Music
Hope everyone is having fun with these WEAKEST LINK polls. With the new poll we will decide the best "Female Fronted Band". Now I decided to not include all girl bands like The Bangles or Go Go's, and wanted to stay away from bands with the singer's name in the band name like Blondie or Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

So with this one I came up with 10 for us to debate about and choose from.

Disclaimer: I know there are thousands of great bands with female leads, I could not include them all and I want to be the first to say I am sorry for not including your favorite. These are just the ones that came to my mind.

Remember you are going to pick the band that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the band with the most votes. We will then have our Champion.

Thanks again for playing, and Happy Holidays!

Eurythmics - Eliminated Round 4
No Doubt - Eliminated Round 3
Evanescence - Eliminated Round 2
Garbage - Eliminated Round 3
The Pretenders
The Cranberries - Eliminated Round 4
The Dead Weather - Eliminated Round 2
Heart
Hole - Eliminated Round 1
Paramore - Eliminated Round 1

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of FEMALE FRONTED BANDS - FINALS 40 votes

The Pretenders
67%
pjhawksmfc2006Yefacutzjwhjr17mickeyratpledgeagrievanceJimmyVDC29940HesCalledDyererebusRP112579DW139059Gern BlanstenJohnny AbruzzoBLACK35eddieceeriepadavePapjeff2040 27 votes
Heart
32%
PoncierGibsonBIGDaddyWilGlowGirlAbe Fromanbrewdog123brianluxmrussel1tempo_n_grooveOffSheGoes35PJ_Souldrakeheuer14JPPJ84 13 votes
Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• Options
    The Pretenders
    Definitely 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Heart
    Heart beating Pretenders?  
    :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    The Pretenders
    brianlux said:
    Easily
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,690
    The Pretenders
    brianlux said:

Heart remains a staple in my local stations programing.  Pretenders as well but to a lesser extent than Heart
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    The Pretenders
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

Heart remains a staple in my local stations programing.  Pretenders as well but to a lesser extent than Heart
    I’m actually shocked that the band that wrote Back in the Chain Gang is still in this. 
  • Options
    Heart
    Reminds me of AOR dayzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    The Pretenders
    OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH.....BARACUDA!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Heart

LOL, that is THE only Heart song I know.  I believe it has been played approximately 950,000,000 times on the radio.  :lol:

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    The Pretenders
    very tough choice.  I think Heart is slightly better because their top songs to me are a bit better and more legendary than the Pretenders.
  • Options
    Heart
    Looks like it will soon be time to say congratulations to Heart, and look forward to whatever it is MedozK comes up with next.
    As always, it's been fun!

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    brianlux said:
    Looks like it will soon be time to say congratulations to Heart, and look forward to whatever it is MedozK comes up with next.
    Still lots of time. Only 16 votes so far, we usually get between 40 and 50. So you still gotta chance.
  • Options
    Heart
    MedozK said:
    brianlux said:
    Still lots of time. Only 16 votes so far, we usually get between 40 and 50. So you still gotta chance.

Wow, I didn't know we were getting that many votes.

HOLD THE PRESSES!  :lol:

• Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    The Pretenders
    brianlux said:

LOL, that is THE only Heart song I know.  I believe it has been played approximately 950,000,000 times on the radio.  :lol:
    Alone is my favorite song of theirs:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cw1ng75KP0
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,627
    Heart
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

I’m actually shocked that the band that wrote Back in the Chain Gang is still in this. 
    That's an excellent song about rebuilding her band after the death of one member from drugs, and firing another because he was headed that way.  I mean it's not about getting you "Alone", but it's pretty damn good. 

B side was My City Was Gone, which I think is a better song than Heart ever wrote.  
  • Options
    The Pretenders
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

That's an excellent song about rebuilding her band after the death of one member from drugs, and firing another because he was headed that way.  I mean it's not about getting you "Alone", but it's pretty damn good. 

B side was My City Was Gone, which I think is a better song than Heart ever wrote.  
    A song can be about a lot of things, doesn’t make it good. I bet there are a lot of death or Viking metal songs about the same subject that I don’t like.
  • Options
    Heart
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

A song can be about a lot of things, doesn’t make it good. I bet there are a lot of death or Viking metal songs about the same subject that I don’t like.
    And fortunately, it is good.  
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    The Pretenders
    Probably my two favorite female lead vocalists of all time.  Extremely tough choice, but I'm just ever so slightly a bigger Heart fan.
  • Options
    Heart
    hihobibo said:
    brianlux said:

Totally respect your opinion and glad you like it. 
    To my ears, the big hair band/ big production just doesn't work.  I need more of the grit that a band like The Pretenders have to get excited about music.

• Options
    Heart
    brianlux said:
    hihobibo said:
    brianlux said:

To my ears, the big hair band/ big production just doesn't work.  I need more of the grit that a band like The Pretenders have to get excited about music.
    Yes exactly.  Too much polish,  too 80s. Pretenders are classic rock style. 
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Heart
    Ok I need help. Which three songs of each band should I listen to to make a decision??
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    The Pretenders
    mrussel1 said:

Haha, I am a big fan of hair metal so that definitely fits why I like the song.
  • Options
    Heart
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    hihobibo said:
    brianlux said:

The 80's were such a strange musical mixed bag, running the gamut from the very highly polished, to the grimiest hardcore.  And poor Neil Young trying to find his way through the whole mess. 

• Options
    Heart
    JPPJ84 said:
    Ok I need help. Which three songs of each band should I listen to to make a decision??
    Pretenders:
    1. Brass in Pocket
    2. Middle of the Road
    3. My City Was Gone (personal fav, I'm from Ohio)
    popular others:
    4. Back on the Chain Gang
    5. Don't Get Me Wrong
  • Options
    Heart
    mrussel1 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Pretenders:
    1. Brass in Pocket
    2. Middle of the Road
    popular others:
    5. Don't Get Me Wrong
    Cool, thanks! Anyone with Heart tipps?
  • Options
    Heart
    JPPJ84 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Pretenders:
    1. Brass in Pocket
    2. Middle of the Road
    popular others:
    5. Don't Get Me Wrong
    Probably:

1. Barracuda
    2. Magic Man
    3. Crazy on You

My personal favorite is probably Dog and the Butterfly, but I don't love the band.  Respect them though. 
  • Options
    Heart
    mrussel1 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Pretenders:
    1. Brass in Pocket
    2. Middle of the Road
    popular others:
    5. Don't Get Me Wrong
    Probably:

1. Barracuda
    2. Magic Man
    3. Crazy on You

My personal favorite is probably Dog and the Butterfly, but I don't love the band.  Respect them though. 
    Excellent, thanks again :)
  • Options
    Heart
    Not entirely convinced by either but The Pretenders win for me. Turns out I knew Crazy on You though
  • Options
    Heart
    I almost couldn't decide which band I think is worse here...
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Heart

Which female led band would you have wanted to win?
    Mine would be either Blake Babies or Juliana Hatfield Three (Julian Hatfield), Big Brother and the Holding Company (Janis Joplin), or 10,000 Maniacs (Natalie Merchant).
    (Edit: beside Pretenders, of course).
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    Heart
    brianlux said:

Which female led band would you have wanted to win?
    Mine would be either Blake Babies or Juliana Hatfield Three (Julian Hatfield), Big Brother and the Holding Company (Janis Joplin), or 10,000 Maniacs (Natalie Merchant).
    (Edit: beside Pretenders, of course).
    I wanted the Eurythmics.  Loved them.
This discussion has been closed.