Your best realistic, feasible hopes for 2022

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
We all know 2020 and 2021 were rough years and we also know the future can seem rather bleak at times.  But as my dear wife regularly and often reminds me, it's also good to be positive in one's thinking.  In that spirit, let's list some hopes and goals that are realistic and feasible for 2022.

Here's my general hopes for 2022:
-That the pandemic will loosing it's grip a bit and more people will take greater precautions.
-The good rain and snow totals here in the west will continue.
-Some of my favorite bands will release killer albums.
Personal hopes:
-I will find something better to do with my life since becoming mostly unemployed having left work when pandemic hit.
-Buy that amp I've been looking for, get the old red humbucker strat off the wall and play it again!
-Get back to doing yoga (ugh, sounds more like a New Years resolution, lol!)
Yours?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    No hope here. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    dankind said:
    No hope here. 

None, nada, zero, zip?  Not even a glimmer.  :frowning:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    The best part about resolutions is to make them as unrealistic and unreachable as possible, so one will not have to feel guilty about mucking them up one week into the new year. Maybe that's just me. Maybe that's the secret to my unsuccess.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    maybe I won’t croak.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    The best part about resolutions is to make them as unrealistic and unreachable as possible, so one will not have to feel guilty about mucking them up one week into the new year. Maybe that's just me. Maybe that's the secret to my unsuccess.

I purposely decided to avoid a resolutions thread (but a different thread of such  would be cool too) because ... well, the joke is this:
    "I decided to start a new business in 2022 called Resolutions.  The first week it would be about counseling people to make resolutions.  The rest of the year it will be a wine bar."

No, what I was going for here is hope.  Of course, hope isn't a guarantee things will turn out well, but rather it is doing what makes sense in an effort to reach a goal no matter what happens.  And this would hopefully be guilt-free effort!

brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    No hope here. 

He doesn't need to have hope, he has luck. Lucky bastard. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    No hope here. 

He doesn't need to have hope, he has luck. Lucky bastard. 
    I don’t know if “luck” gives you hair like that.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    brianlux said:

I purposely decided to avoid a resolutions thread (but a different thread of such  would be cool too) because ... well, the joke is this:
    "I decided to start a new business in 2022 called Resolutions.  The first week it would be about counseling people to make resolutions.  The rest of the year it will be a wine bar."

No, what I was going for here is hope.  Of course, hope isn't a guarantee things will turn out well, but rather it is doing what makes sense in an effort to reach a goal no matter what happens.  And this would hopefully be guilt-free effort!
    I like the guilt-free effort part. Maybe hope isn't far behind...

Brian, if your wife is a positive person, you must never bring her here. You know this, right?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2022
    I just need someone to be there for...
    I just want someone to be there for,
    someone to be there for me
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Has @mcgruff10 been slacking on his wingman duties? @dankind will have to use his matchmaking skills then. 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    - new/better job (that I like)
    - a new cat (or two) soon
    - just be happier :smile:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    I thought of one:

-Read the complete works of Truman Capote. 
    When you started looking for a cat, you wanted an older cat that was a trained inside cat. I thought you should just go to a shelter already and pick one out, but you waited. And along came Maroosha. The ideal cat and situation, just like you wanted. Maybe your specifications are always worth the wait. Maybe you know what you are doing. 
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,393
    edited January 2022
    Your post reminded me this:

Guy sees on the bathroom stall wall: What is the purpose of life?

"To be the eyes and ears and Consciousness of the Creator of the Universe, you fool." - Vonnegut

I have one paper and one more class til I earn my Masters of Education. Maybe if I continue effort I'll keep up the straight A's?

In May, I hope to hit 20 years clean.

To celebrate both I hope for a land-sea vacation which is all booked except for the day trip to meet the British Virgin Island baths.

To swear less.
    To bring happiness to others.
    Limit my plastic waste. 
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I just want to make it through 2022 in one piece! Anything more will be a bonus.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    To listen less. And to talk even less than I listen.
    brianlux said:

Brian, if your wife is a positive person, you must never bring her here. You know this, right?

LOL, she gets enough of the inside PJ forum scoop from me anyway.  Plus she's not a big fan of the band.  She likes classical, vocal, folk, and some country.  The closest she comes to liking rock are oldies like Simon and Garfunkel, Gordon Lightfoot, and The Monkees.  And we went all the way up to Missoula, MT.  so I could see Pearl Jam.  I asked her, "Are you sure you don't want me to see if I can score a ticket from a scalper?"  She see, "No that's OK, I'm going to stay in the campground and knit."  :lol:

I thought of one:

Terrific idea!  I love Capote's work!  I started with Other Voices, Other Rooms in 9th or 10th grade and it's still one of my favorites.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Has @mcgruff10 been slacking on his wingman duties? @dankind will have to use his matchmaking skills then. 
    He never takes my advice! He always starts every conversation about Kiss or Nintendo.  :(
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Continued health and to increase contentment and happiness level…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    General hopes:
    - Pandemic is under control
    - Health care workers get some much needed relief/respect
    - That people focus on what they have in common vs hating on people who may look, speak, act, think differently from themselves
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

LOL, she gets enough of the inside PJ forum scoop from me anyway.  Plus she's not a big fan of the band.  She likes classical, vocal, folk, and some country.  The closest she comes to liking rock are oldies like Simon and Garfunkel, Gordon Lightfoot, and The Monkees.  And we went all the way up to Missoula, MT.  so I could see Pearl Jam.  I asked her, "Are you sure you don't want me to see if I can score a ticket from a scalper?"  She see, "No that's OK, I'm going to stay in the campground and knit."  :lol:
    She likes Simon and Garfunkel? And Gordon Lightfoot? I like her already! 

If she ever feels the need to be a positivity mentor, let me know. Full disclosure: I've always been this way; my favorite Sesame Street character was Oscar the Grouch. 
    brianlux said:
    I thought of one:

Terrific idea!  I love Capote's work!  I started with Other Voices, Other Rooms in 9th or 10th grade and it's still one of my favorites.
    He's the only author I can count on to keep my attention. I love his style. I'm so grateful that he picked up writing out of nowhere as an 8 year old.  :)
    mcgruff10 said:
    He never takes my advice! He always starts every conversation about Kiss or Nintendo.  :(
    Yeah, I think that Tinder is his wingman anyway. ;)
    General hopes:
    - Pandemic is under control
    - Health care workers get some much needed relief/respect
    - That people focus on what they have in common vs hating on people who may look, speak, act, think differently from themselves
    Great list!
    brianlux said:
    I thought of one:

He's the only author I can count on to keep my attention. I love his style. I'm so grateful that he picked up writing out of nowhere as an 8 year old.  :)

Wow, and I thought I started with Capote early!  Nice!
    Favorites thus far?

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yeah, I think that Tinder is his wingman anyway. ;)
    You can lead a horse to water….
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    When you started looking for a cat, you wanted an older cat that was a trained inside cat. I thought you should just go to a shelter already and pick one out, but you waited. And along came Maroosha. The ideal cat and situation, just like you wanted. Maybe your specifications are always worth the wait. Maybe you know what you are doing. 
    My advice: Just stick with the cat. Way less complicated.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2022
    You know me to well. We need to stop with the late night skype sessions reading passages of Capote to eachother.

In Cold Blood with a thick Swedish accent. YOU HAVEN'T READ IN COLD BLOOD BEFORE YOU'VE HEARD IT THAT WAY.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    You know me to well. We need to stop with the late night skype sessions reading passages of Capote to eachother.

In Cold Blood with a thick Swedish accent. YOU HAVEN'T READ IN COLD BLOOD BEFORE YOU'VE HEARD IT THAT WAY.

In Cold Blood is great literature, no doubt, and Capote's most famous, but not at all my personal favorite.  As far as crime literature goes, I found his short story "Hand Carved Coffins" more chilling.  But I'm more a fan of his regional and semi-autobiographical work like Other Voices, Other Rooms, A Christmas Memory, and A Tree of Night, and the charming Breakfast at Tiffany's with his "wacky heroine" Holly Golightly. 

• Haven't read the book. Only seen the superb film.