ISO Temple of the Dog vinyl: which version is best?

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
also, what's a decent price to pay? I've seen some single record reissues, some double vinyl reissues. Not sure what's best, and if there is a massive price difference between the versions. 

Thanks!

@MedozK
Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Comments

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,607
    My purple MOV is great. I'm not an audiophile. It sounds good and looks pretty!  I'd just be wary of bootlegs.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Loujoe said:
    My purple MOV is great. I'm not an audiophile. It sounds good and looks pretty!  I'd just be wary of bootlegs.
    Yeah, i'm not audiophile either. as long as it sounds good, and yes, i will stay away from boots for sure. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,579
    Purple MOV is awesome.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Ditto on the MOV. They also did a fantastic job on the MLB reissue too. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    MOV sounds great to me
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited November 2021
    I have the purple MOV as well. They used 24/96 hi res digital transfer for the source according to a poster on a Steve Hoffman forum thread who checked with MOV. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited November 2021
    I have the 25th anniversary on black vinyl, side 4 has an etched image. I can’t compare it to the purple MOV versions but I like this one. No idea what it’s worth now as I bought it new several years ago. But I wouldn’t pass it up if you found a good price on one.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    thanks all! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    also, what's a decent price to pay? I've seen some single record reissues, some double vinyl reissues. Not sure what's best, and if there is a massive price difference between the versions. 

Thanks!

@MedozK
    Yea, the MOV is really good. I really need to A/B the 25th anniversary with it. But I don't think you can go wrong with the MOV.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    edited November 2021
    so now let's ignite the digital sourced vinyl debate.  If it isn't analog sourced, is it really analog?  If it isn't then just get the download. If just looking strictly on sound why bother with vinyl that is not analog sourced?
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • hrd2imgn said:
    so now let's ignite the digital sourced vinyl debate.  If it isn't analog sourced, is it really analog?  If it isn't then just get the download. If just looking strictly on sound why bother with vinyl that is not analog sourced?
    If you can get the pure hi res digital recording and play it through your hifi system, theoretically you wouldn’t need the vinyl for sound quality.   However, I enjoy the experience and ritual of vinyl. Locating the best sounding record… taking care of it… the artwork. Basically geeking out. 
    All the stuff that is mostly lost in digital format. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    hrd2imgn said:
    That's a deep question.  High Res digital files are pretty damn good.  I would consider them just as good quality as vinyl (if sourced properly).  So then it becomes other aspects of vinyl that you like.  Grabbing a record off the shelf, putting on the player, going through the art work etc...

Ethically I've been giving this though, because I love vinyl, but vinyl is made from a byproduct of oil, and you can get a pretty close approximation through high res digital files.   In the future if we make any bid to save the planet, will we need to give up things like vinyl?
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    Zod said:
    hrd2imgn said:
    That's a deep question.  High Res digital files are pretty damn good.  I would consider them just as good quality as vinyl (if sourced properly).  So then it becomes other aspects of vinyl that you like.  Grabbing a record off the shelf, putting on the player, going through the art work etc...

Ethically I've been giving this though, because I love vinyl, but vinyl is made from a byproduct of oil, and you can get a pretty close approximation through high res digital files.   In the future if we make any bid to save the planet, will we need to give up things like vinyl?
    There should be a market for recycled and repurposed plastics in the future, just not production of new plastics.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    edited November 2021
    hrd2imgn said:
    It's hard to find much music that's truly AAA, unless you're talking about jazz,  AP, and a few others.  But I still think that a well mastered ADA record still sounds better than 24/96 and I have a pretty high end DAC. And I definitely think my purple MOV sounds better than any other version of TOTD I own. 
    edited November 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    hrd2imgn said:
    It's hard to find much music that's truly AAA, unless you're talking about jazz,  AP, and a few others.  But I still think that a well mastered ADA record still sounds better than 24/96 and I have a pretty high end DAC. And I definitely think my purple MOV sounds better than any other version of TOTD I own. 
    Spin the (insert colours here) Circle! 
    That’s good info mr1. I don’t have a DAC so I was speaking theoretically.  I was in a stereo equipment shop and the guy demonstrated a $50,000 CDN stereo system and was playing tunes via a hi res streaming service (can’t remember the name). 
    I have to say, it sounded pretty damn good, although I’m sure he knew which songs to play that were mastered perfectly which demonstrated the capability of that amazing system.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:
    hrd2imgn said:
    That’s good info mr1. I don’t have a DAC so I was speaking theoretically.  I was in a stereo equipment shop and the guy demonstrated a $50,000 CDN stereo system and was playing tunes via a hi res streaming service (can’t remember the name). 
    I have to say, it sounded pretty damn good, although I’m sure he knew which songs to play that were mastered perfectly which demonstrated the capability of that amazing system.

I think digital can sound great!  But still, great vinyl vs great digital is a vinyl win all day long for me.  You and I share a lot of teh same records, and jazz is a great bench mark.  I have some very high end digital files of the classics (KOB, Monk's Dream, Blue Train, etc.) and our records are definitely a better listening experience (IMO). 
    edited November 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hrd2imgn said:

I think digital can sound great!  But still, great vinyl vs great digital is a vinyl win all day long for me.  You and I share a lot of teh same records, and jazz is a great bench mark.  I have some very high end digital files of the classics (KOB, Monk's Dream, Blue Train, etc.) and our records are definitely a better listening experience (IMO). 
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    To me you have to have an exceptionally mastered digital file, to match vinyl. But I really think it comes down to the mastering engineer. They can make vinyl sound like shit and can make digital sound great or vice versa.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    MedozK said:
    To me you have to have an exceptionally mastered digital file, to match vinyl. But I really think it comes down to the mastering engineer. They can make vinyl sound like shit and can make digital sound great or vice versa.

I've always found it weird that the albums we grew up listening in the 80's/90's.  I don't think they were mastered differently for cd/vinyl.  It seems to only be a recent occurrence that some albums get mastered differently on vinyl.   I guess it's part of the loudness war.  Loudness war makes digital/cd not sound great.   Sometimes they allow more dynamic range on the vinyl.

The thing is we shouldn't need separate masters.. lol.  They should use the same amazing master for both.
  • Zod said:
    MedozK said:

I've always found it weird that the albums we grew up listening in the 80's/90's.  I don't think they were mastered differently for cd/vinyl.  It seems to only be a recent occurrence that some albums get mastered differently on vinyl.   I guess it's part of the loudness war.  Loudness war makes digital/cd not sound great.   Sometimes they allow more dynamic range on the vinyl.

The thing is we shouldn't need separate masters.. lol.  They should use the same amazing master for both.
    Brickwall mastering. Just awful. 
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Love high res audio, but someone earlier said it best, and I think it is why vinyl is having a Renaissance,  but casettes and cd killed the intamacy of listening to music a record brought.  You had to sit around and listen and read the liner notes waiting for the flip.  Digital has made listening so easy to be distracted.....  love my 24/96 and headphones and I love the turntable and headphones...just 2 totally different experiences.

Warmth of vinyl.....is it the vinyl or the amp?