Disney+ GET BACK (Beatles documentary in three parts)

First episode is out. The band won the prestigious "GREATEST BRITISH BAND OF ALL TIME" awards here on the boards.

Who is watching?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Will be watching this weekend. I'll get back to you after viewing. :grimacing:
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    I’m thinking of getting Disney+ just to watch this. 
  • We’ll be watching soon. Can’t wait. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    i have disney plus and knew nothing about this. this weekend it shall be! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited November 2021
    Will be fun comparing the look of the restored original "Let it be" film to this one. 

The intro with the history of the Beatles looks great. Then the actual film starts and its too often looks like they are painted. Looks fake. Peter Jacksons magic AI upscaling solution looks bad more often than not. Let the grain be.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Can’t wait to see this. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited November 2021
    A Beatles nerd I know, said that the biggest new thing for him from Episode 1, was that they played Lennons Gimme Some Truth and that Paul knew the words and knew the song. Like it was a Lennon/McCartney collaboration, but it later being released on Lennons solo album and no mention of McCartney.

And how much of Spinal Tap-characters some people around the band actually were.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Great first episode. That George Harrison twist.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited November 2021
    Watched part one after dinner and it was great. I was so happy my family enjoyed it. Look forward to them getting out of that dreary location and into that nicer studio with Billy Preston. The vibe totally changed then. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    We don’t get Disney +

I really wanted to watch it  :bawling:
  • Its very disjointed so far. But interesting all the same
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    hedonist said:
    We don’t get Disney +

i keep seeing ads for a free trial. sign up for 7 days, watch it, and cancel. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I was listening to NPR and they had the 5th Beatle?  Forgot their name.  Anywho 2 things they talked about were Ringos song The Octopus and how Paul started to riff on the guitar and figure out different structures to do w the song and that he mentioned that when McCartney watched the original Let it Be how happy he was to see the band getting along and it wasn’t always fighting.

I’m not even a Beatles fan but I’m interested in this.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:
    We don’t get Disney +

i keep seeing ads for a free trial. sign up for 7 days, watch it, and cancel. 
    This might be the way to go. 
  • Peter Jackson asked Paul about him actually playing and working on Gimme some Truth with Lennon during this session. He didn't remember it at all.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    It's like sitting in the room with them as they make an album.
  • WAX

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Its  so interesting  to see the process 
     Paul is so talented i didn't  realise
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Watched the first part last night. Loved how folks are just going about their business, Yoko and Linda are having a chat, like nothing is going on and meanwhile Paul is on the piano crafting "Let it Be." Or when Ringo and George are so hungover, seemingly unamused, and Paul is finding his way to "Get Back." Just another ho-hum day at the office.
  • I thought this was great. I'd always had an interest in these sessions as the audio has been heavily bootlegged. But while that's great for songs (especially all the covers they did), it's not that fun to listen to their conversations on audio bootleg. Watching them creating songs, seeing the germs of ideas for Long and Winding Road and Get Back transform to songs was great. 

Left out a few things from those bootlegs that I would've liked. "Besame Mucho" which appears in the original Let It Be film would've been nice to see in HQ. Also there's a version of Get Back on the bootlegs that Paul sings in German that is pretty fun that I'm surprised wasn't included. 

That private John/Paul conversation was fantastic to hear. And I actually learned something that I was wrong about for years. I thought they brought in Billy Preston (In the Anthology, George implies it was similar to Eric Clapton playing on While My Guitar), but that's so cool that he just stopped by to say hello and ended up in the band.

Now...it was a bit of chore to watch at times. Typical Peter Jackson. A masterpiece, but too long. But in today's streaming world, I guess you don't have to be confined by time restraints. Part 2 was kinda tough. I couldn't wait for them to get out of Twickenham and to the nicer studio. I was going as batshit crazy in Twickenham as they were.

Between remixes/boxsets, and films like this and Ron Howard's touring movie, over the past ten years, this band has put out as much (if not more) great stuff as any active band. Still good lads....all these years later. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Watched part 2 last night. Loved when Paul's face lights up the moment Billy Preston touches those keys.
  • Hobbes said:
    Watched part 2 last night. Loved when Paul's face lights up the moment Billy Preston touches those keys.
    Great moment. And a stark contrast to a moment at Twickenham where Paul’s smiling and laughing while having a fun back-and-forth on the mic with John (I think during a take of I’ve Got A Feeling), but then Yoko comes and sits next to John and Paul’s face momentarily  changes from jovial to stern. We re-round that moment a few times. It’s in the first half of part 1 but I don’t remember where. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • This is just amazing. 
    Just so incredible. 
    Mind blowing. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    Watched the first episode over the weekend. Watching them take the nuggets of ideas and turning them into the songs that I have heard and loved since I was a kid was a real treat.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I put this in the "Other Music" thread but I'll say it here as well.

It amazes me how the Abbey Road sessions started about a month after these sessions were documented with the rooftop concert, etc.

Abbey Road was released in Sept 1969 vs Let it Be being released May 1970
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    The other thing that blows my mind is that they were all less than 30 years old when all of this happened. Unbelievable talent.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Finished up part 3 tonight. Paul first spots the police on the rooftop... "Woo!" Love it!

The whole series was incredible. Loved hearing them jam and rework some of their older tunes and covers. A must watch.
  • A bit of anxioty now I never went and see Paul or Ringo live. My brother talks about a Paul McCartney show here in Gothenburg at Ullevi Arena a few years back. Grr.

https://youtu.be/V-BdGchS0yk
    A bit of anxioty now I never went and see Paul or Ringo live. My brother talks about a Paul McCartney show here in Gothenburg at Ullevi Arena a few years back. Grr.

https://youtu.be/V-BdGchS0yk
    same here...I had a chance to see Ringo in Vegas a few years back but I think the tix were outrageous so I passed. But I also passed up seeing Paul a few times when he came near Indy.

Should have done it but I have a feeling Paul still has a few tours left in him.