POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of AMERICAN BANDS - (EAST) ROUND 2

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
Ok, with the new 'WEAKEST LINK' I will be staying with music and bands. However this time we will debate the greatest American Band.

Now since there are so many that limiting it to 10 would only cause chaos and confusion. I have decided to spread this 'Weakest Link' out into 4 different Polls. These polls will be identified tournament style as East, South, West, and North. I have tried to keep some cohesion with the band and geographic poll they are placed in, but couldn't do it for all. These polls WILL be occurring at the same time, so you will need to place votes in all 4 polls for each round. I did this so it wouldn't take so long to complete.

Each of the 4 polls will be narrowed down to the final 2, then I will take the 2 from each poll and make a Championship poll with 8 bands.

Alright, so here go. Lets determine the GREATEST AMERICAN BAND. EAST REGION

You are going to pick the band that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the two (2) bands with the most votes. We will then move on to Round 3.

The Ramones
Kiss - Eliminated Round 1
Aerosmith
Bon Jovi - Eliminated Round 1
Talking Heads
Steely Dan
Journey
Parliament/Funkadelic
The Velvet Underground
The Stooges

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of AMERICAN BANDS - (EAST) ROUND 2 45 votes

The Ramones
0%
Aerosmith
8%
erebusMay 30thAsterisk on the Street1ThoughtKnown 4 votes
Talking Heads
4%
mcgruff10Spiritual_Chaos 2 votes
Steely Dan
26%
2-feign-reluctancemr bunglegoldrushtbergsTim SimmonsRP112579RS151862BLACK35F Me In The BrainOffSheGoes35ultrapigwilliscummings 12 votes
Journey
42%
Ponciermfc2006YefacutzpledgeagrievanceDewieCoxHesCalledDyerKearn5yGlowGirlAW124797dankinded243421brewdog123eddieceeriepadavebrianluxHobbesHughFreakingDillonmschostok 19 votes
Parliament/Funkadelic
6%
jwhjr17BrainofBGAbbiggs 3 votes
The Velvet Underground
6%
pjhawksmickeyratrossstothers 3 votes
The Stooges
4%
pjl44NSL 2 votes

Comments

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Happy Thanksgiving, and thanks for playing.
  • Steely Dan
    Happy Thanksgiving, and thanks for putting up with us.
  • Aerosmith
    Don’t listen to Aerosmith and I have my reasons. 
  • Steely Dan
    On behalf of Aeronerds everywhere, I'm sorry for your loss.  =)
  • Aerosmith
    On behalf of Aeronerds everywhere, I'm sorry for your loss.  =)
    No loss here. Aerosmith-free day is always a good day. 
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited November 2021
    Steely Dan
    Was it actually Aerosmith who turned you off or a fan? I know I'm not going to convert you(nor would I want to), just curious. It seems like fans do their fair share of turning people against bands.
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Aerosmith
    Was it actually Aerosmith who turned you off or a fan? I know I'm not going to convert you, just curious. It seems like fans do their fair share of turning people against bands.
    The band. I actually don’t know a single “Aeronerd” lol.  As a PJ fanatic I understand fandom of artists, sports teams, etc and never hate for that. 
    I don’t “hate” Aerosmith, but don’t own a single record. 

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Journey
    In which Journey takes a trip... off the poll.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Steely Dan
    Was it actually Aerosmith who turned you off or a fan? I know I'm not going to convert you, just curious. It seems like fans do their fair share of turning people against bands.
    The band. I actually don’t know a single “Aeronerd” lol.  As a PJ fanatic I understand fandom of artists, sports teams, etc and never hate for that. 
    I don’t “hate” Aerosmith, but don’t own a single record. 

Okay, thank you for the answer. Aerosmith isn't for everybody. 23scidoo doesn't care for them either, and he's my favorite Weirdo.  :)
  • Journey
    Was between Journey and Steely Dan. Journey just seems contrived 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Steely Dan
    Respect as musicians, but musically it sounds like paint drying. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Journey

Dude, pop on some headphones and listen to the title track off Aja. The drum and sax (Wayne Shorter) solos are top notch.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Journey
    liked aerosmith pre-Pump. then this happened:

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Steely Dan
    Dan, put them in a can.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Steely Dan
    eddiec said:

Dude, pop on some headphones and listen to the title track off Aja. The drum and sax (Wayne Shorter) solos are top notch.

Challenge accepted! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Steely Dan

Well, I can't pretend that wasn't funny. I thought I was done laughing and they just kept adding more,  
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Journey

Yeah, I agree. 
    These guys were such a big deal back in the day that there were literally college music courses with curriculum based on Aja.  That always seemed a bit over the top to me (and I don't think these were big universities).  In any case, their compositions showed song writing prowess and the musicianship was on a virtuoso level, but the overall affect for me aesthetically was  such that it has always sounded like high-brow elevator music.  It didn't help any that this was also a time when the two biggest hits got so much air play, those songs became (for me anyway) irritating at best.  My rating:  A+ for chops and composition, C- for all the rest- swing/groove/vibe/emotion/soul.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Steely Dan
    Think this is the song that sent Aerosmith down the wrong path, but it's so GOOD. Damn that Desmond Child.

https://youtu.be/CBTOGVb_cQg
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Journey

Well, I can't pretend that wasn't funny. I thought I was done laughing and they just kept adding more,  
    my wife and I always reference this skit when aerosmith comes up. it's a classic. 

they know how to write a hit, I'll give them that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Talking Heads
    Think this is the song that sent Aerosmith down the wrong path, but it's so GOOD. Damn that Desmond Child.

https://youtu.be/CBTOGVb_cQg
    Desmond child — wrote a lot with Paul Stanley. E.g. I was made for lovin you
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Steely Dan

Desmond child — wrote a lot with Paul Stanley. E.g. I was made for lovin you
    And I love that KISS song. Desmond Child strikes again.
  • Steely Dan
    Did KISS write anything with Richie Supa, because another Aerosmith song I love is "Chip Away The Stone"?
  • Steely Dan
    Actually he would probably be credited under Richard Supa. :glasses:
  • Steely Dan
    Sorry guys, I'll shut up about Aerosmith so people can roast Journey.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Journey with 19 votes and Steely Dan with 12 votes have been eliminated in Round 2
This discussion has been closed.