Options

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of AMERICAN BANDS - (WEST) ROUND 1

2»

Comments

• Options
    The Beach Boys
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Apparently there's this new "debate" about who's better - Beach Boys or Beatles. Seriously, people are surprised when I say - um, Beatles. By like 8 trillion miles. What is happening?!?

I don't know about any such debate being new.  The Beatles/Beach Boys rivalry/mutual admiration has been talked about for many years.  If you do a little research, you'll see this is very much the case and you will find a lot of information to support the fact that these two band were on a competitive par and highly respectful of each other. 
    One of the key well known particulars here is that The Beatles Rubber Soul album inspired Pet Sounds and in return, Pet Sounds inspired Sgt. Pepper's. 
    Another is that the first time Paul McCartney heard "God Only Knows", he was in tears and said that song became his favorite song in all of music history.

Nothing new here, Johnny.  Just the facts.
    Fine The Beach Boys have an album that competes with The Beatles' albums. It's still not close. I think Pet Sounds inspired Revolver and then Brian Wilson gave up and had a mental health collapse, or something like that.

If you don't like the Beach Boys, that's cool.  We all have differing tastes.  I don't care for A Tribe Called Quest but I do acknowledge their brilliance. 
    The Beach Boys and the Beatles were two different bands.  I never really understood the rivalry thing.  I always like them both for different reasons.  And whether one likes them or not, I believe that at the very least, besides Pet Sounds, that The Beach Boys Today!, Holland, and Surf's Up are all excellent albums worthy of the high praise many give them.
    As an aside, I guess what kind of bothers me about all the recent polls are a lot of harsh criticisms some here are making toward music they don't like.  Look at the one that includes Kiss.  Harsh!  I don't care for Kiss at all.  But I love The Replacements and they covered a Kiss song, so there you go.  It's all just a matter of taste. 
    I guess for me, talking about music is all about the things I love about certain artists or bands, acknowledging the attributes of some that maybe I don't like, but never about making harsh criticisms about music that doesn't work for me.  No one makes me listen to music I dislike, so why would I refer to it as "bad music"?  It's music.  To me, all music is good and the existence of music is a one of the most sacred and beautiful aspects of this life.  I just don't care for all if it, but that makes it no less a wonderful thing.
    Mat Cameron was in a Kiss cover band. Doesn’t make me like him any less or Kiss any more
  • Options
    Van Halen
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Apparently there's this new "debate" about who's better - Beach Boys or Beatles. Seriously, people are surprised when I say - um, Beatles. By like 8 trillion miles. What is happening?!?

I don't know about any such debate being new.  The Beatles/Beach Boys rivalry/mutual admiration has been talked about for many years.  If you do a little research, you'll see this is very much the case and you will find a lot of information to support the fact that these two band were on a competitive par and highly respectful of each other. 
    One of the key well known particulars here is that The Beatles Rubber Soul album inspired Pet Sounds and in return, Pet Sounds inspired Sgt. Pepper's. 
    Another is that the first time Paul McCartney heard "God Only Knows", he was in tears and said that song became his favorite song in all of music history.

Fine The Beach Boys have an album that competes with The Beatles' albums. It's still not close. I think Pet Sounds inspired Revolver and then Brian Wilson gave up and had a mental health collapse, or something like that.

If you don't like the Beach Boys, that's cool.  We all have differing tastes.  I don't care for A Tribe Called Quest but I do acknowledge their brilliance. 
    The Beach Boys and the Beatles were two different bands.  I never really understood the rivalry thing.  I always like them both for different reasons.  And whether one likes them or not, I believe that at the very least, besides Pet Sounds, that The Beach Boys Today!, Holland, and Surf's Up are all excellent albums worthy of the high praise many give them.
    As an aside, I guess what kind of bothers me about all the recent polls are a lot of harsh criticisms some here are making toward music they don't like.  Look at the one that includes Kiss.  Harsh!  I don't care for Kiss at all.  But I love The Replacements and they covered a Kiss song, so there you go.  It's all just a matter of taste. 
    I guess for me, talking about music is all about the things I love about certain artists or bands, acknowledging the attributes of some that maybe I don't like, but never about making harsh criticisms about music that doesn't work for me.  No one makes me listen to music I dislike, so why would I refer to it as "bad music"?  It's music.  To me, all music is good and the existence of music is a one of the most sacred and beautiful aspects of this life.  I just don't care for all if it, but that makes it no less a wonderful thing.
    Mat Cameron was in a Kiss cover band. Doesn’t make me like him any less or Kiss any more
    Jeff wears a Gene Simmons shirt in Let's Play Two. You like them more now?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    The Beach Boys
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Jeff wears a Gene Simmons shirt in Let's Play Two. You like them more now?
    Superfluous
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    edited November 2021
    Eagles
    I'm happy that there are different opinions. If we were all the same, life would be boring. I could never get into a lot of bands, including Kiss/The Eagles/REO. I'm glad that people enjoy them, though.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Eagles (12 votes) and Sly & the Family Stone (10 votes) have been eliminated in Round 1
This discussion has been closed.